Hopkins...anyone going?...I need some info/advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the waitlist at Hopkins, and while I am so, so excited, I feel as though I need more information before I make a decision. Has the grading system been change to P/F? Is it a competitive learning environment? When I interviewed, I felt that people were so down to earth, friendly, and willing to help out their classmates. I can't remember exactly, but I think Hopkins students have off most of their afternoons...right? Will I need a car there? Do most people live at Reid (is that the dorm name) for their first year?

My gut is telling me to come to Hopkins...I would love for any of you who are going to Hopkins to tell me what characteristics of the school factored into your decision, pros/cons, and things to think about. I need to decide by monday. Feel free to email me at [email protected] with your responses if you wish. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing a summer internship at hopkins this summer *applying next year*. I had a chance to meet with the assistant dean of admissions earlier this week. He told us that they are indeed changing the grading system to high honors, honors, pass, and fail. You are in classes till one except on a few fridays when you have to stay till about 5. There is adequate public transportation, but i would recommend getting a car so you can have a chance to get out of the city and make those trips to walmart and such. :) As for Reed Hall, it kinda sucks. There are several neighborhoods that are on the Hopkins shuttle route that are much nicer. Personally, I live by the Homewood (undergraduate) campus. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to the Med School Campus. I absolutely love the environment. It really doesnt seem as competitive as they say it is. Everyone here is extremely nice. I think you would be missing out on a wonderful opportunity if you chose not to come here.

:clap: :clap: :clap: YAY lyle! Congrats! I sent you an email. Pick Hopkins :)

Members don't see this ad :)
also, in which neighborhoods do most Hopkins med students live?

What is the other school that you are considering? It would be easy to get pros/cons for both on the same link.

the other school I am accepted at is Pitt

Lyle, I sent you a private message.
Summary: Hopkins is great. Best wishes.

Hey lyle, I just got in today too. Do you (or anyone else who heard either today or yesterday) know the deadline by which they want a response? And is it by verbal agreement, as in a phone call, or by just sending back the form?

Also, does anyone know if they let waitlisted acceptees defer?

as someone who is applying to hopkins for 2003- may i ask you guys what your 'numbers' might have been???

of course totally up to you but i'm trying to decide if it's even worth going for.
thanks!
dave

Congrats to lyle and Incendiary!

Feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]) with any questions you have about Hopkins.

Incendiary - since you have my number, don't hesitate to call if there's anything I can do.

Hopkins is a fabulous place -- I'm sure you'll both love it here.

Congratulations!!

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Incendiary:
•Hey lyle, I just got in today too. •••••:clap: :clap: :clap: YAY Incendiary, congrats. Go to Hopkins :) :clap: :clap:

Thanks to all who posted replies and sent me emails. I called the Admissions Office today...I made my decision. Packing my bags for Baltimore...and I am so excited. I look forward to meeting all of you in the fall. Thanks again!