Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

hopkins anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dxn, Nov 30, 2000.

1. dxn

dxn Member

has anyone who interviewed at hopkins in october or november heard back from them yet?
    when i interviewed on 10-19 i was told by the admissions director that the committee would be meeting in "late november." i called this past tuesday and the secretary told me that the committee was meeting that night to make decisions. i'm a bit tense because hopkins calls the accepted students to let them know. i was just wondering if any of the lucky ones have been notified yet and thus my letter of waitlist or rejection is on its way.

btw, my girlfriend who interviewed in early november was told that she would hear back in the first week of december and i'm pretty sure that her group had the same committee dates as mine. i just can't see why it'd take a week after the decisions were made to make the all-important phone calls.

[This message has been edited by dxn (edited 12-05-2000).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. layne20

layne20 Member

I was just wondering, in your opinion, what are they looking for at Hopkins and what are your stats or special things that you may have on your application (if you don't mind telling me). I would like to go there, but I don't think I got my application in when I should have because one of my professors just sent in my letter of rec, even though I asked him the first time to do so in August!!! I don't think I would have had much of a chance at an interview, anyway. I was just curious.

4. dxn

dxn Member

i too wish i knew exactly what hopkins is looking for in their students. my fellow interviewees were a very diverse and dynamic group...a variety of majors, activities (one had conducted an orchestra for 2 years, one had his pilot's license for quite a few years and flew a lot), backgrounds etc. i'm sure that all were extremely well qualified in terms of academics.

personally, i'm not sure if i have anything that really sets me apart from the other applicants, but i think that i'm on par with most everyone else who gets interviews. my academic credentials are good, getting phi beta kappa my junior yr here at hopkins undergrad, 2 yrs basic science research, lots of clinical experience, extensive involvement and leadership in my activities, good letters (i believe.. waived the right to see them), mcat fitting with hopkins stats.

i'm sure that you've got things that you feel strongly about and have put some effort into them. if you've presented yourself, your beliefs, and your efforts in the best light possible you've done most of what you can. don't worry too much about your late letters, interviews go on into feb. i think.

sorry for the lack of insight into the specifics of what hopkins is looking for. i don't think anyone other than the adcoms really know. and that's surely not any set formula. btw, i already know 2 people who were accepted back in early oct. but also know several others, equally qualified in my eyes, who were waitlisted...so go figure.

oh yeah.. anyone hear back yet?? i beginning to think that the admissions secretary was BSing me about the committee date (she was really rude and brusque) because mail here in baltimore only takes one day. this waiting game is torturous.

[This message has been edited by dxn (edited 12-04-2000).]

5. doctorperez

doctorperez Jesus was a dissident

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes She is rude . Some one needs to tell her! .

6. doof

doof Member

update? i interviewed late september/early october and still haven't heard a peep from hopkins. i was supposed to have heard SOMEThing before thanksgiving...

[This message has been edited by doof (edited 02-06-2001).]

7. dxn

dxn Member

Well... it seems that Hopkins has made their decisions on the oct-nov interviewees. I just got a letter from them dated Dec 5. telling me that I've been waitlisted.

This is so disappointing. I was really psyched about going to Hopkins. I know, my chances aren't dead, but this is my second waitlisting. Won't hear back until end of April. More waiting.. more waiting. Uh..

I'm pretty sure that hopkins calls all accepted applicants, so if you haven't heard back your letter may be in the mail.
    If anyone does get an acceptance, please post. I'm sure the board would like to know.

Good luck, this process is so hellish sometimes.

8. doof

doof Member

yep, i found out yesterday i'm on their 'alternate' list too. oh well.

9. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member

On some old thread I thought against reviving (I think), someone mentioned that no one is actually 'rejected' from Hopkins until April, till then ALL interviewees who aren't outright acceptances get waitlisted. Probably since they interview such a limited proportion of the applicants (~20%), I might think.

Can anyone substantiate this?

10. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi guys,

Can those of you who have heard from hopkins post your stats and other credentials in one of these messages? . Just for the benefit of those of us who will be applying in the near future . Thank you .

11. MSepo

MSepo Member

Wow. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought that damn secretary was rude.

12. shelsikemon

shelsikemon Junior Member

hopkins does run its wait list down to the bitter end and does keep you apprised of status once summer comes. SO if you really want Hopkins stick in there, my friend had 2 weeks notice but she went!

13. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Is anyone going to post their stats as they applied to Hopkins? man for camadery's sake?!

14. dxn

dxn Member

drperez,

i thought that one of my earlier posts had enought info to give you an idea. but if it'll help you out, my stats are 3.99 (4.0 bcpm), 35(5's on both essays, don't remember what that translates to) plus the other stuff in my earlier post.

i was waitlisted.

15. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    DNX

Thank you , may I ask what is your major?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. dxn

dxn Member

i'm a biophysics major.

18. lizard

lizard Member

Dxn: how did you know that you got 5's on the essays? I got a letter score and have no idea about the breakdown.

19. dxn

dxn Member

i got a letter score too. but the # to letter conversion is pretty simple. isn't the highest score a T? so that'd be 2 6's.
    I got 2 less than the highest score, so i must have got an R.

I figured that both of my essays were ~ equal in quality and thus were both fives. I could have got a six and a four, but a six is pretty unlikely.

20. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    DNX
    If I may ask what undergraduate school(s) did you attend?

21. dxn

dxn Member

i attend johns hopkins undergrad.

22. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    I am really surprised at why you would be waitlisted DXN! . I cannot conceive how much better can other people's stats be..I mean is a 4.00 better than your 3.99? , I do not think so . Furthermore , I can not imagine how much of a bad interview can one have to offset a record such as yours in such manner . I guess what I am asking is...what did the adcoms find in those who have already been accepted? . ??!??!

23. dxn

dxn Member

I know. I tried to not get my hopes up for Hopkins too much, but it is really my first choice and I thought that my chances were decent at getting in. I have several classmates who have lesser numbers and similar activies and were accepted.
    My whole interview day went well, so I'm confident that that part isn't a black mark on my application. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. In a way, it makes me a little discouraged and disappointed with the admissions process. These are the people who are choosing our classmates for the next four years.

On the other hand, it's just testamony that there are limited spots for a huge pool of extremely qualified applicants. I'm sure that those people who are accepted fully deserve their acceptances. Adcoms have to choose, and there are many of us who have done all the right things and shown that we will make excellent physicians but are turned down. Maybe I'll get in later in May-August. I'm going to keep in touch to let them know I'm still VERY interested.

It also goes to demonstrate that you can't accurately predict anything in this process. Once you get to the interview stage it's kinda a crapshoot if you get in. The other surprizing fact of this Hopkins story for me is that my girlfriend also got waitlisted. She attends Hopkins undergrad with me, is a bio major with qualifications fitting for Hopkins averages, AND is an underrepresented minority female who speaks 3 languages. If anyone, who'd think that the adcoms would be scrabbling to get a hold of someone like that. Apparently not.

Whatever huh? There's only so much you can do. Past that you just have to hope for the best and see what happens. I still hope to attend Hopkins and am trying not to let these events get me down. Perhaps I didn't convince them that I really wanted to go, and they were worried that I would eventually turn them down for another acceptance. These next few months will be dedicated to showing them that they really are a dream school for me and that they would not regret offering me an acceptance.

Good luck to all.
    -dxn

24. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    is Johns Hopkins undergrad considered an Ivy Schhol?

also how do students from relatively unknown undergrad schools fare when it comes to admission to JHSM?

25. jimi

jimi Senior Member

This is very unnerving...I got a message from Paul White, the assistant dean of hopkins med school, today telling me to call him...

I hope it's good news but since my interview was somewhat horrible I can't seem to be optimistic!

I just have to wait until tomorrow I guess...eeek! [​IMG]

26. dxn

dxn Member

I don't want to jump the gun, but why else would he call? It's the standard practice to do so with accepted students.

Good luck and let us know.

*edit*
    now that i think about it, paul white did say that he would not leave any messages on machines or with other people. he only wants to tell students personally. So, my bets are on that you were accepted and that my congrats are in order.

[This message has been edited by dxn (edited 12-19-2000).]

27. dxn

dxn Member

hopkins is not considered to be one of the ivy league schools. that list is pretty arbitrary anyways.

it is considered, like many other fine schools, to be a direct competitor with the ivies.

i'm not sure how the breakdown of undergrad backgrounds goes for hopkins med school. there were obviously some very good schools represented on my interview day (standford, harvard. hopkins) but also quite a few schools of lesser reputations. my harvard interview was the total opposite though. it was ONLY big name schools (MIT, harvard, brown, stanford, Hopkins, U Penn).

28. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you DXN!
    anyone else..Please? [​IMG]

29. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus

Attending Physician
    doctorperez,
    I haven't heard anything from Hopkins since I sent my secondary in (but that fact in and of itself may be valuable information to you since it indicates they aren't too interested in me). I can't remember what AMCAS calculated my GPA to be, but I think it was a 3.82 overall and science was around a 3.9. I scored 38-40 on the MCAT and am a Classics major. Hope that helps.

------------------
    Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
    -Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

30. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks Hercules!..what undergrad school if I may ask? [​IMG]
    doctorperez,
    I haven't heard anything from Hopkins since I sent my secondary in (but that fact in and of itself may be valuable information to you since it indicates they aren't too interested in me). I can't remember what AMCAS calculated my GPA to be, but I think it was a 3.82 overall and science was around a 3.9. I scored 38-40 on the MCAT and am a Classics major. Hope that helps.

[/QUOTE]

31. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus

Attending Physician
    Oops. I meant to include that. University of Alabama. I think they may be holding my football team's horrible season against me! [​IMG]

------------------
    Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
    -Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

32. Hope88

Hope88 Senior Member

Just so you know that Hopkins is not all about names and scores, they interviewed me with a 32Q MCAT (11VR/10PS/11BS). Granted, I have a 4.0 BCPM and a 3.99 cum, but this is from a small private LA college that is not well-known (there are 2 students applying to med school this year). I have no research experience. I suspect that their decision to extend an interview invite is that I don't particularly fit the mold of the typical pre-med. Some schools that are well-established, like Hopkins, tend to value heterogeneity (sp?) within their student body more than numbers. I don't expect to be accepted, but the fact that they wanted to know more about lil 'ol me really boosted my opinion of the institution in general. Hope this restores some faith to others, too.

33. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    COOL!

That sure gives me some hope!

Would you mind saying what school was this that you attended? I want to compare it to mine . Thank you in advance .

34. dxn

dxn Member

for anyone who's still interested, i found the list of the colleges represented on my interview day at hopkins.

college of the holy cross
    u of utah
    u of maryland, collage park (X2)
    johns hopkins university (X2)
    vassar college
    wellesley college
    U of georgia
    university of michigan-ann arbor
    columbia university
    western maryland college
    u of virginia
    standford
    harvard
    yale

35. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member

Can I take this to mean that 15 candidates are invited per day JHU interviews?

36. dxn

dxn Member

i would assume so. i believe that my interview day w/ 15 others was standard.

this is unlike u penn. their weekday interviews have less (~20 or so i think) but when I was there on a saturday there were about 50 of us.

[This message has been edited by dxn (edited 12-21-2000).]

37. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you so much DXN . Hope88 if you could post your school as well I would appreciate it much! . Anyone else is also welcome to post as much info as possible! .

38. Hope88

Hope88 Senior Member

I attend Nazareth College.

39. jimi

jimi Senior Member

Here's some info that might help others become optimistic:

I found out this week that I was accepted to Hopkins...and as it turns out I am NOT from a big name school (University of California, Irvine), and my GPA is NOT a 4.0 (~3.7), and my MCAT is NOT perfect (B12 P12 V10 R).

So if they accepted me, then chances are if you are a good (not necessarily perfect) student dedicated to service then your chances are outstanding!

If your grades suffered a bit for various reasons (like my sophomore year grades) don't sweat it...no one asked me about it probably because I made an effort to improve them later.

I do have a theory about Hopkins though:

I really think they already know if they are going to accept you by the time they invite you for an interview. I'm not saying everyone who gets an interview gets in, I just think some applications are already in the YES pile...now here's my reasoning: When I showed up to my interview, the physician who interviewed me did not let me get more than two words in. I swear! HE DID ALL THE TALKING!!!!

There was no way they got any more info about me from that interview. So in a way I think I lucked out that they liked my app because if anything was based on that interview I don't think I would have been accepted.

But that's just my little theory. So who knows...it's all one big mystery anyway...

40. Hope88

Hope88 Senior Member

Congratulations, Jimi! That is so awesome! I have a question, though: did you hear from Hopkins at approximately the time they said you would? I interviewed on 12/1 and they said I should hear by early Feb. at the latest. I am also waiting around for the results of several other interviews. The suspense is killing me!

41. dxn

dxn Member

jimi's theory about the interview probably isn't right.. but it could be. i also have a story that leads me to think it may have some truth to it.

a friend of mine interviewed at hopkins this year and because it was her first choice school by far, she let the interviewer know it. during the interview, he looked over her app and basically told her that she was an ideal applicant for hopkins and that her application was, "a near perfect application." (whatever that means.) he told her he would really let the commmittee know that she would be excellent match for hopkins and that she should have "nothing to worry about."

what happen? she was waitlisted.

so congrats again to jimi. that's awesome that you've been accepted. your theory about interviewees could be correct.. who knows. as we all know, this whole process is pretty mysterious.

42. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Congratulations JIMI!!!!!!

Dude! what do you think Hopkins found in you to accept you? ..why (in detail) do you think they offered you an acceptance?

Thanks .

43. jimi

jimi Senior Member

ok, my response to the first question:

Yes, Hopkins was right on the dot about letting me know when they said they would. I interviewed Nov. 3 and on that day they told us we'd know by mid-December and that's exactly when I found out. I think their committee might meet on tuesdays (that's just a guess though).

Now, about what they saw in me....hmmm...

Honestly my premed adviser totally freaked me out and even said I should take another year off (which really is not an option since I'm dying to begin med school!) So because of that inaccurate advice I ended up spending way too much money on about 28 secondaries and TO MY ABSOLUTE SURPRISE I've been invited to 25 interviews and their still coming (I stopped going after the 16th interview...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I said to myself!)

So because I was a bit confused about how my supposedly weak application drew such a response I spoke with the admissions person at my undergrad's med school. The one thing that kept coming up in the comments was that each activity I ever became involved in I totally devoted myself to its success. I guess in all my essays and babbling during interviews this came through. My recommenders said the same thing.

But if you want specifics, I think I mentioned some of my extracurric.s in another post but here's a brief version:

-double major, bio and philosophy
    -studied abroad
    -volunteered in a hospital abroad
    -lots of community service and leadership activities
    -a lot of research
    -working as a teacher in foster homes this year

So the only thing my profile shows is that it doesn't really matter what activities you get involved in as long as you show your dedication.

One thing a lot of admissions people have said to me is that there are plenty of smart people out there. But there are a lot fewer smart people that are actually nice. So basically they are looking for people who can handle the workload and problem solving in medicine but who actually CARE about people.

I'm sure most of you out there who are willing to put yourself through this torturous application process fit this description so it's just a matter of letting it show.

GOOD LUCK!

p.s. sorry for the excessively long post. [​IMG]

44. Socceroo4ever

Socceroo4ever Senior Member

Woo! Lots of stuff going on about Hopkins. And to think I wanted to apply there as my top (out-of-reach) choice! Well, I'll still apply. Seems the colleges are getting lazier and lazier when it comes to sending out acceptances. There's another post on here about Loyola, same topic of no answer when promised. All the revisions needed in this business! Frankly, I hope that when some of us are docs at universities, doing these future ADCOMM decisions for the medical school hopefuls, that we'll remember how tortuous this process was to us way back when. Seems to me the current ADCOMM members never had this sort of agonising waiting, right? Oh well. Best of luck to all!

45. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    I am considering transfering to Johns Hopkins Undergraduate..any thoughts?..Thanks.

46. dxn

dxn Member

i'm just curious drperez, but what college do you attend now? why would you want to transfer and why hopkins?

switching schools is a big change. maybe it's stilly for me to ask, but does this thread have anything to do with it?

47. doctorperez

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh God! . This could really end my online anonymity . I am committed to attending Hopkins Med - among the various reasons I find to even consider transfering to Hopkins undergrad is that I have a family and wish to first get used to the city as a family should . Thus , if I was to move to Baltimore , I could not think of a best choice of transfer school than Hopkins undergrad , specially since its med school is that which I wish to attend [​IMG] .

Yes transfering schools is a big change , an even greater change when it involves a change of living environment . For this reason , I thought I asked the opinion of anyone who attends or attended Hopkins undergrad . Is my comment out of thread? . hmm I did not think so since : Studentdoctor does not have a section devoted to individual undergrad schools , Hopkins undergrad's website does not have a section that allowed interactions with students or alumni , since my topic is ultimately related to the admission to Hopkins Med school , and since some of the posters to this thread may be students or alumni of Hopkins undergrad...I just could not find a more appropriate thread than "Hopkins anyone? " . Was it silly of you?...nah! maybe silly of me! [​IMG] . Anyhow , what do you think? , any thoughts ? . And BTW dude(tte)!...ehem! hopefully no one will know whom I am LOL! [​IMG] .

[This message has been edited by doctorperez (edited 12-26-2000).]

48. Linie

Linie Senior Member

On the subject of where Hopkins med students are from, I was VERY impressed when I interviewed here (I'm a 4th yr med student) that there were many students from schools I had never heard of. Such as (Uh-oh, hope I won't offend anyone with this list): Millersville College, Rhodes College, Dickinson, and more. At Columbia, everyone was from an Ivy, or a similarly brand-name school, and at Harvard I knew half the students there already (I'm a former New England prep schooler and Ivy league grad). I was disappointed with both schools for being so superficial. Could it be an applicant bias (ie. only people from those schools apply there)? Well, perhaps, but I don't think so. I think there's such a long-standing tradition of ushering in people from the right feeder schools that the admissionsc committee don't even question it.

For dxn, I wish I could give you advice on why you and yur girlfriend were waitlisted at Hopkins. It's a gigantic crap shoot as far as I can see. I didn't even get interviewed at SUNY Brooklyn, but I got in here. I do think though that the competition from other pre-med students at Hopkins undergrad is pretty intense. We have 4 or 5 of your grads in our class, but JHU produces many many many pre-meds.

Good luck

------------------
    Linie

49. irina

irina New Member

I know that you are going to Hopkins this fall. So am I. I would love to talk to you. My e-mail address is [email protected]
    thanks.
    Irina

50. Hi Everyone...I've pretty much decided to attend Hopkins and I'd love hear from other students who are also planning to attend. If you get a change, email me.

51. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member

Just got a call from Dean White this afternoon that it's a go at JHU. I'm wondering about some of pluses/minuses you've (mike-ohio) seen in your experience...and for anyone else in a similar situation.

Thanks!

52. Christiangirl

Christiangirl Banned
    Banned

Congrats oceandust!! what are you choosing from?