Hopkins applicants:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your stats?

edit: and what makes you interesting? what makes you stand out from all other applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

3.98 bcpm, 41 mcat. fear me

uh.....what the heck?

stats tell a small part of the picture.
go to mdapplicants.com and you'll get an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
PostalWookie said:

I don't know why, but I find your response hilarous.

PostalWookie said:

i already do :scared:

***tears up the Hopkins application***

Psycho Doctor said:
What are your stats?

Hopkins is one of the last schools you can expect to make decisions primarily according to GPA and MCAT. You'd be better off asking, "What makes you interesting?"

VienneseWaltz said:
Hopkins is one of the last schools you can expect to make decisions primarily according to GPA and MCAT. You'd be better off asking, "What makes you interesting?"
you are absolutely correct. I got an interview. My stats are good, but not a 41 MCAT (I got 34 ). The thing that makes me outstanding is that I took off two years in college to work for a doctor...

Wow! You have a Hopkins interview already!? There must be some other things special about you... :D

ok, my Hopkins application is already torn to shreds :(

VienneseWaltz said:

You still need the numbers for Hopkins right?

dr.z said:

I'm not on the admissions committee, and I have no idea what my classmates' numbers are, but I would say that, like most schools at that level, they are looking for a minimum competency, which is suggested by numbers, and after that, they want to know why you're special. A 26 will probably keep you out, but a 41 won't get you in.

you need numbers for any school, be that Hopkins or Hollywood Upstairs. Numbers are not the point, rather it's what's going to make you stand out in your application and especially in your interview. Plenty of people at Hopkins have great numbers, but they also have done unique things during their undergrad or post-grad careers.

It's who you are as a whole that matters the most. Does that include numbers? Sure, of course it does, but they are hardly the most important thing.

dr.z said:

According to mdapplicants, those accepted at Hopkins have average MCATs of 36.5 and average GPAs of 3.86. Those who got interviews and were then rejected have only slightly lower numbers. I interpret this to mean that non-number attributes weigh fairly heavily in the admissions process... whether they are the actual interviews or extracurricular stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bubchik said:
you are absolutely correct. I got an interview. My stats are good, but not a 41 MCAT (I got 34 ). The thing that makes me outstanding is that I took off two years in college to work for a doctor...

Come on. A 4.00 is outstanding. Don't pretend that you're not an excellent, top applicant.

I got an interview over a week ago. I think its my rampant body odor that gives me a leg up on the competition.

stinkycheese said:
Come on. A 4.00 is outstanding. Don't pretend that you're not an excellent, top applicant.
*sigh*

Um, I'm unique because I volunteered in a hospital, yah me.

j0ker918 said:
I got an interview over a week ago. I think its my rampant body odor that gives me a leg up on the competition.

hahaha. they won't forget you after the interview at least.

I am unique because I am cooler than all of you!!! HA HA HA

IndyZX said:

I don't get it. A 4.0 is an excellent GPA, and I find it silly when applicants with GPA's in that ballpark pretend that they are just average joes.

Edited to add: Ah. Upon a re-reading of both the original post to which I replied, and my initial reply, I can see how the tone did not match the tone of the original post. I glossed over the part where he said he had good stats and read the post to mean that he thought he was mediocre. My mistake. Nothing to see here.

bump... drunk

stinkycheese said:
I don't get it. A 4.0 is an excellent GPA, and I find it silly when applicants with GPA's in that ballpark pretend that they are just average joes.

Edited to add: Ah. Upon a re-reading of both the original post to which I replied, and my initial reply, I can see how the tone did not match the tone of the original post. I glossed over the part where he said he had good stats and read the post to mean that he thought he was mediocre. My mistake. Nothing to see here.
Yeah, I was agreeing with you. I'm a little tired of that false modesty.

I know this has been discussed on other threads, but is anyone a bit hesitant to apply to Hopkins because of the area it's in? I was going to apply (listed it on my AMCAS even), but got pressured out of continuing by my family, who don't like the school's location.

Baltimore doesn't bother me at all. And i'm a southern boy and go to college in a small college town.

leechy said:
I know this has been discussed on other threads, but is anyone a bit hesitant to apply to Hopkins because of the area it's in? I was going to apply (listed it on my AMCAS even), but got pressured out of continuing by my family, who don't like the school's location.

I'm a Hopkins undergrad and work at the med school- the area is most definately urban, but I wouldn't consider it unsafe. This is especially true for med students and docs since your activities are pretty much confined to the 'mini-city' that the Hopkins complex is. Last, there are security guard stations on each corner that are there almost all the time.
Don't let it be a reason not to apply.

leechy said:

All cities have good and bad neighborhoods. You will run into the same problems of Baltimore in Philadelphia, DC, St. Louis, Atlanta, New York, LA ...