Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Hopkins Financial Aid AFTER Year 1

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JohnMadden, Apr 27, 2007.

1. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee

Question for Hopkins folk:

Do they reduce the amount of general scholarship funds you receive in subsequent years? My big concern is that the financial aid office will screw me over after the first year of school by reducing the scholarship amount and increasing the debt. Has this happened to anyone at JHU?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dabiophyz

Pre-Medical
    That has happened to a lot of my friends at hopkins undergrad. Not sure if they have the some tactics for med school, though.

4. Towelie

Towelie Resident Towel

Couldn't any school do this?

5. sen

sen Member

I am certainly not aware of this having happened to anyone in my class, and if it had someone would probably be (rightfully) complaining about it quite vocally...

6. HopkinsOne

Medical Student
    That's because we don't get our awards until May...

7. eurozo

eurozo ...

I don't qualify as "hopkins folk" but for what it's worth someone asked about this at revisit weekend during the financial aid presentation, and we were told that the scholarship award won't decrease in absolute amount in subsequent years (though I suppose it may decrease in real terms due to inflation, etc.)

Again, not a student, no experience, but this is what we were told...

8. HopkinsOne

Medical Student
    I've heard the same thing. It seems reasonable, since this place is flush with cash, but I'll update this thread when I find out if this is true (again, probably in May).

9. QuakerPreMed

(Maybe relevant to you, Towelie) University of Chicago guarantees any grant/scholarship for 4 years. It didn't say so on the specific award letter, but I was told that by the dean when I was there for revisit.

Granted, they could still take it away and I doubt there would be legal action I could take.

10. TheAsianBullet

TheAsianBullet New Member

Pre-Medical
    So i missed the finaid presentation during the revisit weekend, but i was wondering: for the "remaining unmet need", where are we supposed to get this money from? gradplus loans? i was just confused that my 'aid' didnt match my 'need'...

11. Guile

Guile 1K Member

It can come from savings, parent input, private loans, GradPLUS loans (probably the best option I believe), or anywhere else. That's for you to decide. There's no application for GradPLUS loans. I'm pretty sure you automatically qualify.

I'm surprised though that they did not include GradPLUS loans on the financial aid letter. My schools did.

12. foofish

Medical Student
    Yeah, at one of the schools I'm considering they said that, unless my parents' financial situation changed wildly, I could expect to get about the same amount in scholarship money each year. The finaid dean I was talking to actually brought this up as a common question, so I'd think that it's reasonable to ask.

13. TheAsianBullet

TheAsianBullet New Member

Pre-Medical
    cool, thanks for the info...yeah i was kinda scared to have tens of thousands of dollars unaccounted for :oops: