Hopkins Financial Aid AFTER Year 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for Hopkins folk:

Do they reduce the amount of general scholarship funds you receive in subsequent years? My big concern is that the financial aid office will screw me over after the first year of school by reducing the scholarship amount and increasing the debt. Has this happened to anyone at JHU?

Members don't see this ad.

That has happened to a lot of my friends at hopkins undergrad. Not sure if they have the some tactics for med school, though.

Couldn't any school do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am certainly not aware of this having happened to anyone in my class, and if it had someone would probably be (rightfully) complaining about it quite vocally...

I am certainly not aware of this having happened to anyone in my class, and if it had someone would probably be (rightfully) complaining about it quite vocally...
That's because we don't get our awards until May...

Question for Hopkins folk:

Do they reduce the amount of general scholarship funds you receive in subsequent years? My big concern is that the financial aid office will screw me over after the first year of school by reducing the scholarship amount and increasing the debt. Has this happened to anyone at JHU?

I don't qualify as "hopkins folk" but for what it's worth someone asked about this at revisit weekend during the financial aid presentation, and we were told that the scholarship award won't decrease in absolute amount in subsequent years (though I suppose it may decrease in real terms due to inflation, etc.)

Again, not a student, no experience, but this is what we were told...

I don't qualify as "hopkins folk" but for what it's worth someone asked about this at revisit weekend during the financial aid presentation, and we were told that the scholarship award won't decrease in absolute amount in subsequent years (though I suppose it may decrease in real terms due to inflation, etc.)

Again, not a student, no experience, but this is what we were told...
I've heard the same thing. It seems reasonable, since this place is flush with cash, but I'll update this thread when I find out if this is true (again, probably in May).

Couldn't any school do this?

(Maybe relevant to you, Towelie) University of Chicago guarantees any grant/scholarship for 4 years. It didn't say so on the specific award letter, but I was told that by the dean when I was there for revisit.

Granted, they could still take it away and I doubt there would be legal action I could take.

So i missed the finaid presentation during the revisit weekend, but i was wondering: for the "remaining unmet need", where are we supposed to get this money from? gradplus loans? i was just confused that my 'aid' didnt match my 'need'...

So i missed the finaid presentation during the revisit weekend, but i was wondering: for the "remaining unmet need", where are we supposed to get this money from? gradplus loans? i was just confused that my 'aid' didnt match my 'need'...
It can come from savings, parent input, private loans, GradPLUS loans (probably the best option I believe), or anywhere else. That's for you to decide. There's no application for GradPLUS loans. I'm pretty sure you automatically qualify.

I'm surprised though that they did not include GradPLUS loans on the financial aid letter. My schools did.

(Maybe relevant to you, Towelie) University of Chicago guarantees any grant/scholarship for 4 years. It didn't say so on the specific award letter, but I was told that by the dean when I was there for revisit.

Granted, they could still take it away and I doubt there would be legal action I could take.

Yeah, at one of the schools I'm considering they said that, unless my parents' financial situation changed wildly, I could expect to get about the same amount in scholarship money each year. The finaid dean I was talking to actually brought this up as a common question, so I'd think that it's reasonable to ask.

It can come from savings, parent input, private loans, GradPLUS loans (probably the best option I believe), or anywhere else. That's for you to decide. There's no application for GradPLUS loans. I'm pretty sure you automatically qualify.

I'm surprised though that they did not include GradPLUS loans on the financial aid letter. My schools did.

cool, thanks for the info...yeah i was kinda scared to have tens of thousands of dollars unaccounted for :oops: