Hopkins interviews Feb or later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cuteasaurus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out how "on-schedule" they are. Has anyone who interviewed in Feb or March heard yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed mid-Feb. Haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember them saying when they anticipated being done with decisions? I thought acceptances were through the first two weeks of April but I don't remember...

Hey all!

I interviewed on 3/5 and was told I would hear the 2nd week of April. I am not sure if this counts as the first week since April 1st is Thursday but I am assuming I will hear in about 2 weeks. I loved Hopkins so much! I wish you all the best of luck! :)

Yeah, 2nd week in April is what I remember too. Was that acceptances go out or all decisions?

I was told acceptances and waitlists would go out then. They really did not mention rejections but rather a two-tiered waitlist system where Tier 1 has a chance to be accepted but Tier 2 has basically no chance and should be considered a rejection. I have heard some people have outright rejections, but I am not sure why this was not mentioned. Good luck! I hope you get in! :)

Hey Guys,

I just got a call from Dean White telling me that I was accepted to Hopkins today. I interviewed in early March so I think all you guys should be hearing soon.

Congrats MedSkooler!

Are you going to revist weekend? It looks like it'll be interesting...

To everyone else still waiting - GOOD LUCK and I hope you hear soon! :)

I'm definitely going. I thought I knew where I was going but this Hopkins acceptance has thrown me off. The revisit weekend is what I'm counting on to help me decide. Any of you guys coming as well?

:clap: congrats on getting the call from Dean White!! I was wondering, does everyone get a call if they are accepted, or do some people get contacted via mail/email without a call? I just want to know if I should be freaking out (and sad) because my phone has been silent..i also interviewed the week of march 5!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by MedSkooler
Hey Guys,

I just got a call from Dean White telling me that I was accepted to Hopkins today. I interviewed in early March so I think all you guys should be hearing soon.

Congratulations MedSkooler! At what time of day did you get the call? Do you think Dean White got through all the calls today or do you think he will be calling tomorrow too? I had a great interview experience at Hopkins and would love to go there. When exactly did you interview? I interviewed on March 5th. I really hope I hear some good news so I can have my first acceptance. Good luck everyone who is still waiting! :)

DRJ2B--you are getting interviews at Hopkins and Penn and the like and are still waiting on your first acceptance? Did you only apply to top 10 schools or something? I don't want to sound confrontational, but I just assumed you had gotten in somewhere from the tone of some of your UPenn and other posts. I don't want to touch a nerve--I am just curious. And good luck--it seems like you are one of the more enthusiastic people on here, so you seem deserving. I wish you the best with Hopkins, because I am damn sure I am getting that low-tier letter.

Originally posted by Benjo
DRJ2B--you are getting interviews at Hopkins and Penn and the like and are still waiting on your first acceptance? Did you only apply to top 10 schools or something? I don't want to sound confrontational, but I just assumed you had gotten in somewhere from the tone of some of your UPenn and other posts. I don't want to touch a nerve--I am just curious. And good luck--it seems like you are one of the more enthusiastic people on here, so you seem deserving. I wish you the best with Hopkins, because I am damn sure I am getting that low-tier letter.

Hey Benjo!

The reason I have not gotten in anywhere else is primarily because I did not apply to my own state (NY) schools. I knew I really did not want to stay in NY, but in retrospect, I should have applied to some state schools. That basically took 7-8 schools from my list. I applied to a good number of top 10 schools because I thought I might as well try. Stupidly, I applied to Harvard even though I would never go there. I also applied to schools in CA because I was then interested in going to CA for med school but of course the only schools that accept out-of-staters are top schools like UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford all to which I applied. I later realized I did not want to be on the West Coast for med school. I definitely should have applied to a broader range of schools, but I guess I just felt so crushed by being deferred ay UPenn that I did not know where my head was going. I also looked at schools with great MPH programs and most top schools have international tracks in their MPH programs I was interested in. Other schools tend to have programs that are not as highly differentiated and developed. I do not want to move away for a year to do an MPH. I would rather stay at the same school and do a combined degree program in International Health which I am very interested in. I thank you for posting about this. I was so stupid to do this to myself. Regardless, I would have applied to some top 10 schools definitely including the ones I thankfully interviewed at. I really love Hopkins and Yale because of their global/international MPH tracks and great clincal training. When I interviewed at both schools, I absolutely loved them, especially Hopkins because I felt I could get the best clinical experience and research done there in my fields of interest. I would be so lucky to get into any of these schools. I am being waitlisted because I am not the best applicant. I have just worked hard and hope to get in somewhere at this point. It was great to have been offered interviews at schools with such great programs. Perhaps, I was just not meant to go to any of them. I still have hope to get in off the waitlists. I probably did not get into Hopkins but I will definitely pursue the waitlist (if I got on the top tier). I had my best interview experience there. I felt comfortable and felt the "vibe" many people talk about. The students I met were phenomenal. Only time will tell. Thanks again for bringing it up. I think I needed to see my error more clearly. I hope this serves as an example to other people who will be applying for this coming cycle or in the future. APPLY TO A WIDE RANGE OF SCHOOLS AND DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! I am still waiting on U Roch and U Pitt as well which are great schools too. :)

DrJ2B,
I knwo the feeling. Get this--I interviewed at three schools (Columbia, UVa, Hopkins) and got rejected pre-interview from the likes of Einstein, NYU, GW, Jefferson, and my state school. I have something unusual on my app that counteracts my stats/pubs which need not be disclosed here, but thankfully, UVa had an open mind enough to let me in (or perhaps they were just stat mongering--who knows, but I will be a doctor). ANyway, good luck to you, and I am very sorry to hear about all the crap you have gone through. Worse comes to worse, you learn from your mistakes and become class of 2009, but I hope you get in this cycle.

Hey Benjo!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you did get in. Don't get discouraged. Things will all fall into place. From your posts, you sound like a cool dude. I would love an acceptance now but I am not going to let waitlists get me down. I have already sent in letters of continued interest. I wish the best of luck to everyone waiting on Hopkins or any other schools and those on waitlists! May we all end up where we want! :) :clap:

I got the phone call from Dean White too today! The impossible has just happened!!!

Hey tao!

At what time of day did you get the call? When did you interview?

I interviewed around Feb. 19, and I heard back at 5:25pmish Eastern time. Hope that helps, and good luck to you! I know from other friends that Dean White does call and wake them up early in the morning as well (9am ish).

Thank you so much tao! Sorry for my rudeness! Congrats! :clap: Was Hopkins your top choice?

Out of state, this would be my top choice -- I never thought about it seriously because I never thought I had the chance with such a late interview. It's now the joint baylor/rice md/mba program vs. hopkins med, so it's going to go down to the wire. Home vs. NE. 7,000 a year tuition vs. a lot of debt. A lot of things to think about my future, so hopefully I will get to make the decision soon in the next 5 wks!

Good luck dude! Go wherever you will be happiest! You can always get an MBA after you graduate or take a year off to do one! Financial matters are important, but if you really love Hopkins, then money is really not all that important! :)

For those who have been accepted: Did you send in anything after your secondary (grades/letters of ref/LO interest or intent)?

In general, I know that Letters of Intent can help get you off a waitlist, but what if you know you def want to go to a school before you get your decision?

BTW- I interviewed March 12th (wanted to get it worked out so that I interviewed over my spring break). Has anyone else from that last week of interviews in March heard?

BUMP! Anyone get a call today?

Some info: Dean White's not in today so I'm guessing he's not making any phone calls.

Also, there is one more committee meeting left and the very late interviews haven't been discussed yet.

Good luck all! :)

I got my call at around 5:45 PM. It was late in the afternoon. I think the committee made the acceptance decision earlier in the morning and then he called me at the end of the work day. Also, I did not send a LOI, rather I sent letter to my both of my interviewers and to Dean White stressing my love of Hopkins. I hope that helps.

What were considered the later interviews? Was the last day for interviews March 12th? Do you know if any decisions have been made on people who interviewed March 5th? Thanks

Yes, the 12th was the last day. I don't know if ppl who interviewed the week before have heard. I called for an unrelated reason this morning and the woman I spoke to just volunteered that b.c I interviewed then they hadn't gotten to me yet. (I do suspect that it's likely they haven't gotten to you either. :) )

Anyway, I hope that helps at least a little.

Well nevermind then, I guess they've at least started the 5th interviews...

Originally posted by MedSkooler
Dr.J2B, do you go to NYU?

Hey MedSkooler!

Yes, I do go to NYU. Which person were you?

I hope they did not get to me yet or else I probably got waitlisted or rejected at the worst. I really loved Hopkins and it would be a dream to go there. :(

Well I wouldn't worry yet. Wait and worry with me next week. ;)

Originally posted by Cuteasaurus
Well I wouldn't worry yet. Wait and worry with me next week. ;)

Sure. I am going to call on Monday and ask if a decision has been made on my file or if I am in the group of applicants to be reviewed next Wednesday. Good luck! I may have already not gotten in, but I hope you get in! :clap:

Make that thread go BUMP BUMP BUMP! ;)

You mentioned international public health, didn't you? Were you looking at the MPH program at Hopkins? I only applied to med schools with public health schools on-campus. Anyway, best of luck to you, it'd be nice if we both got in. :)

Another BUMP for this happenin' thread! :laugh:

Are there not many of us waiting on Hopkins?

I suppose everyone else already got in. :D

Yea, I'm sure that's it.

I'm waiting, but what the hell is there to talk about? I mean, speculation gets old, and I am not about to start analyzing committee meeting habits and tendencies. So, that being said--good luck to you and everyone else, and may we all be trained by the best of the best.

Congrats to everyone who got into Hopkins! Please feel free to PM me with any questions. I hope you'll all come to the revisit weekend.

Actually, the committee is not quite done reviewing applications. Several of my friends are on the committee, and they're going through the last stack now. If you interviewed late in the season and haven't heard anything yet, hang in there. It won't be long now. If you're waitlisted and still interested in Hopkins, go for it -- historically, several people have been admitted from the top third of the list.

Cheers,
doepug (MS IV, Johns Hopkins)

are you kidding? ANother Bump? Just take it easy DRJ2B--everything is gonna be ok. I know it sucks to wait, but when the time comes, those concerned will find the thread, and post.
That being said, good luck.

My heart sinks everytime this thread bumps up because I figure someone's heard and my final chance is shot ... not sure how much more bumping I can take!! (hehe) No worries, I'll deal. ;)

Good luck everyone!

While you're waiting...

On Discovery Health there's a new series called 'Hopkins 24/7'. The second episode is airing today (Saturday) at 5 pm.

Enjoy!

~k

Yea, I'm sure that's it.

I

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that a lack of posting was bad. I was just wondering if there were only four people still waiting. So, best of luck to you and others. :)

are you kidding? ANother Bump? Just take it easy DRJ2B--everything is gonna be ok. I know it sucks to wait, but when the time comes, those concerned will find the thread, and post.
That being said, good luck.

Sorry dude! I got bump crazy! I will not bump anymore. ;) Good luck everyone who is still waiting! It is nice to have such cool people to wait with! Perhaps, next week, we will all get some closure! :D