Hopkins MHS Epidemiology and MMI Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mihyang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Hopkins app, and it only gives you one option for a program to apply to. I'm really interested in the MHS in Epidemiology, but I can't decide between Infectious Diseases Epi and Genetic Epi. I also am considering the MHS in MMI (Molecular Microbiology and Immunology). I have a BS in genetics, and I haven't taken a proper immuno class, for what it's worth; my interest in immunology and infectious diseases was far outweighed by my interest in genetics as an undergrad, but it has grown since then.

Can anyone shed some light on these programs? I've been reading all the program websites all day and I still can't make a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm currently a student in Epi at Hopkins in one of those concentrations you named. I wouldn't sweat it too much.. for the first year everyone is pretty much taking all the same courses. You can always change concentrations. Many epi concentrations actually require the 1st term of genetic epi even if you're not in genetic epi. Genetic epi also requires you to take a course outside of that concentration, which you could fill with infectious disease epi. In genetic epi, you are also required to take some hard science courses like molecular bio, human genetics (through Hopkins med school) etc...You can tailor your 2nd year classes to be very science heavy if that is where your interests lie. Feel free to ask more questions..but keep in mind we are in the middle of final exams right now at Hopkins so it may take awhile for me to respond. :)

agreed. I wouldn't sweat concentration too much, though I would try to get the department right. you will have a lot of flexibility with regard to courses... you can tailor your degree to your interests for sure. I'm not too sure about the MMI department, but let me warn you about epi. the department is excellent (probably one of the best there is), but it is not easy. I'm not sure what your background is, but be ready to work your butt off. not trying to scare you or anything, just saying! yes, we are in the middle of finals but if you have more questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer them :)

Does The Hop still grade its Epi grad courses on a C+ curve?