1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Hopkins MPH

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by dcham, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dcham

dcham Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, I just found out that I was accepted into hopkins 11 month MPH program. I had heard that it's 80 hrs, which seems to be a little much. Does anyone know how intense the program is in terms of course work and class hours? Would you say its as, more, or less intense then say 2nd year of medical school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dcham

dcham Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh I also got one of the Sommer scholarships, is this a prestigious scholarship that will look good on the resume, or is it no big deal?

4. anya79

anya79 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think some schools have shorter programs, like Harvard, which is 9 months. From what I hear, no matter how rigorous a MPH program is, med school (ie 2nd year) is much more difficult in terms of the amount of information and hours.
    Congrats on the Sommer Scholarship. It's a full ride scholarship + stipend so I am assuming it's prestigious. Very few of the accepted students receive it. I am hoping I get some kind of financial support from JHSPH so I can go there. here's more info on Sommer: www.jhsph.edu/sommerscholars/ Are you in med school now?
    Anya

5. namazu

namazu Member
    5+ Year Member

The Sommer Scholars program is relatively new (maybe 3 or 4 years old), so I'm not sure it's that well-known outside of Hopkins. However, any kind of scholarship from a good program looks good on a resume, and a full ride is a great deal if you don't mind living in Baltimore for a year.

Congratulations, and good luck with your decision!

6. dcham

dcham Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks guys!

7. ppjffx

this question is for dcham: How did you learn that you got the sommer scholarship, snail mail?

8. dcham

dcham Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    snail mail.