Hopkins MSPH vs. Yale MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christine13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much rankings really matter?/Is anyone in the same dilemma? The programs are so different, but I would love to hear if anyone is deciding between the two and has any thoughts on the matter. Sidenote: my focus is social/behavioral sciences

Yale Pros:
-more steadily paced program/traditional MPH
-seems like more student involvement
-smaller program, good community
-seems easier to get to know professors and classmates
-prestigious name
Cons:
-not as highly ranked
-maybe not as respected in the field?
-stronger focus on epi

Hopkins Pros:
-ranked #1 for public health (does that really matter that much??)
-more flexibility in the second year
-qualifies me to sit for the CHES exam
Cons:
-classes are in quarters instead of semesters so moves really fast
-professors apparently travel a lot
-not as much of a community

Members don't see this ad.

Christine, I am in the same dilemma. They are both great programs and I'm having a really tough time deciding.
-Chris

Could somebody throw their 2 cents into the comparison? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm leaning away from Hopkins at this point. More between BU and Yale after thinking through it. I think it's up to each person, but I prefer a slower pace and I want to be able to have time to do work/research on the side, which I don't think will be as feasible at Hopkins.

Nothing but great choices for you! I have just decided on Johns Hopkins. I enjoy a quick pace and the quarter system at Bloomberg is a good fit for my learning style. I too was worried about gaining faculty relationships in just a year of courses, but I had a friend who just completed a PhD at Berkeley reassure me that I should have no problem securing letters of recommendation in just a year. I was stuck between Yale and Hopkins for a bit, but in the end Hopkins seemed to be a better personal fit and funding was marginally better. Good luck and please share where you decided!

Nothing but great choices for you! I have just decided on Johns Hopkins. I enjoy a quick pace and the quarter system at Bloomberg is a good fit for my learning style. I too was worried about gaining faculty relationships in just a year of courses, but I had a friend who just completed a PhD at Berkeley reassure me that I should have no problem securing letters of recommendation in just a year. I was stuck between Yale and Hopkins for a bit, but in the end Hopkins seemed to be a better personal fit and funding was marginally better. Good luck and please share where you decided!

Thank you! I will be going to BU - still a fast paced program, yet the semester long courses and specific concentration are both a little more fitting for me! Wish you the best!