Hopkins or Bryn Mawr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonfly1994

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am comparing these 2. Was accepted at both programs. I'm curious to hear your votes---which would you choose for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want out of postbac? Linkage? Open pool application?

I'm not as concerned with linking. I basically want the best possible shot to the best medical schools. I liked both a lot during the interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'd go with BM, but it's really up to you. I think the program is a lot more established, I like the grading system and students there seem to be happy, and tend to get into good schools. I'm sure the Hopkins program is good but I'm not as sure about the outcomes.

The biggest factor for me would be class size -- if that is an issue for you at all, I would choose BM. Hopkins has some great opportunities, and from what I hear, Liza is fantastic, but there's a big difference between being in a classroom with 400 students and being in a room with 50-80 students.

I'm having a tough time deciding. I really like Hopkins is the thing. Bryn Mawr's program is much older though. In terms of exit opps, which do you think is better? I'm probably not linking

I'm having a tough time deciding. I really like Hopkins is the thing. Bryn Mawr's program is much older though. In terms of exit opps, which do you think is better? I'm probably not linking

BM... a bit easier to succeed in the program and their program has a bit better and more well established reputation. There's a reason the top 3 is the top 3...

If you truly love Hopkins, then you don't need our advice. But most people, including myself, will tell you that Bryn Mawr is the place to go if you want the best chance at succeeding and getting into a top medical school. As mentioned before, the grading scheme is very much in your favor at BM and the dean has some truly remarkable connections with various medical school administrators. Her committee letters are legend within the program and are considered one of the main reasons graduates go on to top MD programs.

I got into Hopkins and Bryn Mawr and I am struggling with a decision. My parents and a few friends of the family that are doctors seemed to be completely obsessed with the Hopkins name but I really am feeling Bryn Mawr a little more to tell you the truth. Anything that you can say to help with the decision would be much appreciated!

Thanks and I have to decide by March 23rd!

I got into Hopkins and Bryn Mawr and I am struggling with a decision. My parents and a few friends of the family that are doctors seemed to be completely obsessed with the Hopkins name but I really am feeling Bryn Mawr a little more to tell you the truth. Anything that you can say to help with the decision would be much appreciated!

Thanks and I have to decide by March 23rd!

Last year when I was working with interviewees for admissions, we had a person who had enrolled in the Hopkins program. then left because he didn't like it. He ended up going to HES and is a m1 now. Clearly that's just one data point, but he said that the program was more 'gunner' and less supportive.

It's interesting b/c I'm actually of the other mind, leaning towards Hopkins. Thoughts being that it contains a lot of the other elements outside the classroom necessary to set someone up for success. I thought Bryn Mawr was a great program, but felt it lacked some of those opportunities.

It's interesting b/c I'm actually of the other mind, leaning towards Hopkins. Thoughts being that it contains a lot of the other elements outside the classroom necessary to set someone up for success. I thought Bryn Mawr was a great program, but felt it lacked some of those opportunities.

What opportunities are you referring to? If you're talking about MCAT preparation, clinical volunteering, and research, you can get that at both BM and JHU. What you can't get at JHU is a long standing reputation of being a top postbac program and the relationship that med schools have with the program.

To everyone trying to make decisions between postbac programs, I would say talking to actual students who have done the programs will probably be more helpful than anecdotal opinions from the internet. Try to ask the directors of these programs if they can provide contacts for you of previous students, and ask those students to address whatever questions/concerns you may have.

Also I am not aware that there are any official "postbac rankings," this all seems to be anecdotal as well (please correct me if I'm wrong with a link or something). I would say make your decision on where you felt most comfortable and like you would get the support you need. Hopkins does have great opportunities but don't just pick it because of the reputation of the medical school and hospital system. I did the Hopkins program and am happy to answer any questions you have if you PM me.

I don't think there are official rankings for postbac programs, but there also aren't official rankings for medical schools outside the relatively useless USNWR. I think the JHU program certainly offers a good education and is selective enough that I think it might be a great program in the future, but it's not as well-established as Goucher, Scripps, and BM, who have a pipeline of students into medical schools that goes back 20+ years. I don't know the data for every school but certainly for Scripps, every student in the program in the past 8 years has been accepted in med (or other professional, if that's what they're trying to do) school after finishing the program which in some ways speaks to the selectivity of the program and the relationships they have. BM/Goucher also advertise 100% success rates. Of course, past performance doesn't predict future performance, but it's certainly something to take into consideration IMO.

I don't think there are official rankings for postbac programs, but there also aren't official rankings for medical schools outside the relatively useless USNWR. I think the JHU program certainly offers a good education and is selective enough that I think it might be a great program in the future, but it's not as well-established as Goucher, Scripps, and BM, who have a pipeline of students into medical schools that goes back 20+ years. I don't know the data for every school but certainly for Scripps, every student in the program in the past 8 years has been accepted in med (or other professional, if that's what they're trying to do) school after finishing the program which in some ways speaks to the selectivity of the program and the relationships they have. BM/Goucher also advertise 100% success rates. Of course, past performance doesn't predict future performance, but it's certainly something to take into consideration IMO.

Agree. I've no doubt Hopkins is stellar academically, but I'm a little puzzled that someone could think they can compete with Bryn Mawr in terms of extracurriculars. BM has an endless list of powerful connections in the Philadelphia healthcare community, a function of the age of our program. I and my colleagues have had experiences and exposure while at BM that are completely unavailable to most non-medical students.

People pick programs for a variety of reasons, so I didn't apply to Bryn Mawr or Goucher because of personal things. I wasn't ever trying to imply that Hopkins had better/more extracurriculars (if I came across that way I didn't mean to). That being said, there are many good extracurricular opportunities available at Hopkins or in Baltimore more generally.

A lot of how well people do is based on themselves (of course not 100%, and a strong advisor and committee letter counts too), so as long as someone feels they would do well in an environment, that's the most important. I just don't think people should say that going to Bryn Mawr over Hopkins automatically increases your chances for getting into a top 10 school or whatever, if that's your definition of success. I worked hard and had a good experience at Hopkins and I'm having a good application cycle, maybe there are people who are less satisfied. This is probably true of people at many different programs.

I think Newman was replying to the other poster who said that BM lacked opportunities outside the classroom... I think JHU does have a lot to offer in terms of opportunities for students in the program. I know it's especially strong in research opportunities. I just think it being not as established as BM puts people at a bit of a disadvantage. It might be of value for you to write up a review of the program describing how classes are held, what opportunities are available, how the grading system is, the committee letter, etc, because I don't think a lot of people know very much about the program except for the fact that it's associated with a top med/undergrad school.

I did the Hopkins program... PM me if you have more questions and I'd be happy to respond. I can also show you the list of where people from the program matriculated last year. I am having a good cycle so far and will tell you more specifics privately if you're interested.

Just because it's a newer program doesn't mean it is not as good. We have an excellent director who left Goucher to head the Hopkins program when our old director retired last summer.

I also did the Hopkins program and would be happy to tell you more. PM me if needed.

I too did the Hopkins program and was VERY pleased with it. Another thing to consider, is that it helped with residency applications. During interviews almost every residency program commented on it and that I had research while there. I definitely think it helped. I too got into several programs including Bryn Mawr, but I think I made the right decision for me.