Hopkins or Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tram

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already got into Hopkins, waiting for Harvard's decision. Which one do you chose between two? I am biasing towards Hopkins

Members don't see this ad.

daaaaaamn buddy have fun with all of the responses to your post

I've already got into Hopkins, waiting for Harvard's decision. Which one do you chose between two? I am biasing towards Hopkins

Obviously Hopkins and Harvard don't care about an interviewee's ability to speak English.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are superb schools. I guess it comes down to how much its going to cost you and ultimately, which city/area you like better.

Both are superb schools. I guess it comes down to how much its going to cost you and ultimately, which city/area you like better.
um, would anyone pick baltimore to live in voluntarily over boston?? (med schools aside?) :D

How about waiting for a response from Harvard first?

1000 interviews for around a 100 spots... I wouldn't count them as a sure bet just yet

ok, i totally concede that point. since it is CURRENTLY 12oF right now with windchill factor, according to weather.com ::headdesk::

Hah, windchill. Where I was born, we don't talk about windchill. It's -40 and when the wind comes, you don't feel any different because your nerves have long since numbed beyond pain.

none of the above. NEXT ----->

jaykay.

Go for Harvard, trust me. Hopkins is great, but I'd love to be able to say that I went to the best medical school in the world. Even joe schmo knows what Harvard is.

Ahhh, I just imagined myself at Harvard, it'd be a dream come true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for Harvard, trust me. Hopkins is great, but I'd love to be able to say that I went to the best medical school in the world. Even joe schmo knows what Harvard is.

I'm sorry, but are you kidding me?

right now in san francisco it's about 65 degrees and nice and sunny. i think i'll go to the beach...
well for what it's worth, it LOOKS like 65oC outside since it's all sunny n' stuff today...so as long as you stay on the right side of the window, you can pretend. :p

Hopkins IS the best medical school in the world...or so I have been told by people FROM Harvard Med

I'm sure there is going to be some serious flaming going on in here - standby.

I could be wrong, but I think Hopkins would be the one with greater international recognition - based on its affiliation with the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Foreign dignitaries routinely go to Hopkins for treatment of complex/rare disorders.

I wouldn't consider Harvard the best medical school in the world...mind you I've never been there, but when it comes to going for medical and becoming a physician...i don't know if Harvard pumps out the best. Sure, you may be opened up to a huge network that will allow you to obtain great opportunities, but to say that Harvard is the best in the world...i don't know. I think it is really easy to challenge a statement like that. I can probably think of 10 schools off the bat that could be considered the best medical schools in the world.

id rather go to hopkins. but then again, i didnt even get a harvard invite (so i cant compare visits to the schools)

before everything began, i was hoping hopkins. god i wish i could have that interview again.

anyway, everyone go to harvard so i can get in off the waitlist at hopkins :D

I feel like this thread comes up every year at around this time. Do a search and you can find last year's thread. From what I remember there were some good comments made from both camps.

I actually was put in the incredible place of making this decision last year. I was sold on Hopkins. For three months that's where I told everyone I was going to go. Then I went on my Harvard interview. I came back from the interview knowing that if I got in to Harvard, I was going to go. It's funny, I actually felt like I was cheating on Hopkins or something. Anyways, long story short; I ended up getting in, realized how incredibly blessed I was to have such great opportunities and went with Harvard. There were multiple reasons why I chose Harvard and looking back now, I know that it was far and away the best choice. If you have specific questions on the details, feel free to PM me. Good luck with everything.

There's my argument. Restrict immigration.

Based on what I hear--from Harvard med students themselves--Harvard's rep is great but in terms of pure education and clinical experiences, Hopkins is better. It's hard to beat the patient population there--having the inner city poor of Baltimore to princes of Arabia coming to Johns Hopkins Hospital. Internationally, Hopkins is extremely well-known because of its reaches not only in medicine but in the public health world as well. If you're interested in public health, Bloomberg is the best public health school in the US.

BTW, I haven't received acceptances from either (yet), but this is what I hear.

I feel like this thread comes up every year at around this time. Do a search and you can find last year's thread. From what I remember there were some good comments made from both camps.

I actually was put in the incredible place of making this decision last year. I was sold on Hopkins. For three months that's where I told everyone I was going to go. Then I went on my Harvard interview. I came back from the interview knowing that if I got in to Harvard, I was going to go. It's funny, I actually felt like I was cheating on Hopkins or something. Anyways, long story short; I ended up getting in, realized how incredibly blessed I was to have such great opportunities and went with Harvard. There were multiple reasons why I chose Harvard and looking back now, I know that it was far and away the best choice. If you have specific questions on the details, feel free to PM me. Good luck with everything.

Yea, duh, go to Harvard! its so spectacularly awesome.... everyone on the street knows its recognition!

now please Hopkins, oh please, let me in of that waitlist of yours...

Watch "The Wire". It might factor into your decision... lol. (Plus it's a fantastic show.)

Watch "The Wire". It might factor into your decision... lol. (Plus it's a fantastic show.)

i never could figure out what your avatar was until this past weekend when i watched 2 seasons of entourage - best show on tv!

Hopkins IS the best medical school in the world...or so I have been told by people FROM Harvard Med

If they're from Harvard, how would they know how good Hopkins is?

Nobody can really make a just comparison between two medical schools unless that person has matriculated in both medical schools under the same circumstances.

Since this has never happened in the history of existence, for all we know, UC Irvine could be better than both Hopkins and Harvard (UCI has amazing housing, btw:p).

Anyway, the answer is simple. Go to Harvard for med school, and Hopkins for residency. Or the other way around. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. (preferrably Harvard first then Hopkins, since Hopkins has the "better" hospital).

^ I don't give any credibility to the rankings or how they came up with them. I just thought it was interesting that it was on the AOL frontage when I saw this thread. Personally, I like Duke...

Anyway, the answer is simple. Go to Harvard for med school, and Hopkins for residency. Or the other way around. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. (preferrably Harvard first then Hopkins, since Hopkins has the "better" hospital).

That would be a killer combination! It's somewhat odd that you do not see more of that - I've certainly seen more Hopkins to MGH/Brigham & Women's than Harvard to Hopkins. I wonder why that is? Could it be that Hopkins med students are more competitive for the residency match, or do the Harvard med students simply choose to stay in Boston?

If they're from Harvard, how would they know how good Hopkins is?

Nobody can really make a just comparison between two medical schools unless that person has matriculated in both medical schools under the same circumstances.

You are obviously right - this realistically will not happen. However, if an individual was a med student at one location and then a resident / staff at another, they can provide an educated assessment of how well both schools prepare their med students - granted, they would be evaluating it from a different perspective (a more educated/experienced one at that).

Harvard for sure.

Sure, Hopkins has better clinical training (and at that point, does it really matter? top tier is top tier), but you're gonna have to work your butt off there. Also, the Harvard UNIVERSITY institution has a better reputation in the world, so I'd personally rather attach myself to that reputation than just the med school's reputation.

and then a resident / staff at another,.

No resident at Hopkins should have enough spare time to be able to assess the quality of education/life that the med students have:p

From what I've heard from a former Hopkins faculty member, neither should the faculty unless they're teaching, and only if they're not doing research at the same time:)

That would be a killer combination! It's somewhat odd that you do not see more of that - I've certainly seen more Hopkins to MGH/Brigham & Women's than Harvard to Hopkins. I wonder why that is? Could it be that Hopkins med students are more competitive for the residency match, or do the Harvard med students simply choose to stay in Boston?

It's most likely that Hopkins has essentially a handful of affiliated hospitals, whereas Harvard is affiliated with a billion hospitals. If you count all of Harvard's affiliated hospitals as "Harvard" then Harvard simply has more residency spots than Hopkins does to throw around.

Plus, half of all Harvard folk rematch into Harvard affiliated programs (possibly due to the reason mention aboved) so there's not many of them left to go to Hopkins.

The way it was explained to me was that half of HMS students stay in Boston at an affiliated hospital. 35% go to California and the other 15% go to New York. They made it seem like not too many folks go anywhere else. The Match is in a week or so, so I guess we can look at the list and see how true those numbers really are.

Take Harvard, more room for me at Hopkins:)

I think they are equally prestigious.........but i would personally choose HMS. I liked it better when i interviewed.

Harvard for sure.

Sure, Hopkins has better clinical training (and at that point, does it really matter? top tier is top tier), but you're gonna have to work your butt off there. Also, the Harvard UNIVERSITY institution has a better reputation in the world, so I'd personally rather attach myself to that reputation than just the med school's reputation.

But aren't you going to med school for clinical training (and maybe research). I would take the best training in the world rather than tell my friends who are not involved in medicine that i go to haaaaarvaard.
Although i have no proof that hopkins is in fact the best training.

It's most likely that Hopkins has essentially a handful of affiliated hospitals, whereas Harvard is affiliated with a billion hospitals. If you count all of Harvard's affiliated hospitals as "Harvard" then Harvard simply has more residency spots than Hopkins does to throw around.

Plus, half of all Harvard folk rematch into Harvard affiliated programs (possibly due to the reason mention aboved) so there's not many of them left to go to Hopkins.

This is true, but if Hopkins is recognized by many as having the best hospital in the country, you would think that more of the Harvard med students would be pursuing a residency at Hopkins. Pure speculation, of course.

EDIT: I realize, however, that there are a lot of personal factors that come in to residency preferences (location, quality of life, colleagues, etc. - and these are usually program specific, not hospital specific).

My friend, I had the same dilemma but went for the third H - Hollywood Upstairs. :cool:

pick whichever one has a better football team..in this case i dunno

Isn't Hopkins ridiculously more competetive? Based on the grading system alone I would estimate 50% more ulcers. Bring in the Baltimore effect and ya bump it up to 80% at least.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I heart Hopkins all the way :love: . Who really cares about your stomach when you're blowing the other kids out of the water :p

what an arrogant post. do you really need to come on student doctor to make that decision? :thumbdown: :mad: :thumbdown:

what an arrogant post. do you really need to come on student doctor to make that decision? :thumbdown: :mad: :thumbdown:

To someone without an acceptance, your signature is more arrogant than this thread: posting your acceptance in your signature, advertising it to a world that doesn't care.

Tell us, why is it that a comparison thread for two of the top programs in the country is any more arrogant than a comparison thread of any other 2 schools? If you subscribe to the SDN mantra, all the schools are equal and Harvard is equal to SLU...

(no offense meant to SLU, just thinking about St. Louis today, and I've gotta say they don't have the same resources as HMS...)

Don't worry about everyone biting your head off. Just realize people without acceptances are pretty nervous about their futures right now.

As for the decision, you should glean lessons from other this vs. that med school threads. Go to the second looks of your favorite schools and choose the one with the best financial/social/educational situation.

Then withdraw from all your other accepted schools ASAP to open up spots for those who are waitlisted.

To someone without an acceptance, your signature is more arrogant than this thread: posting your acceptance in your signature, advertising it to a world that doesn't care.

Tell us, why is it that a comparison thread for two of the top programs in the country is any more arrogant than a comparison thread of any other 2 schools? If you subscribe to the SDN mantra, all the schools are equal and Harvard is equal to SLU...

I second that.

But what's so bad about signatures? Being happy and proud does not equate to arrogance. It's not like all the accepted schools are listed. Plus you can meet a lot of fellow classmates/interested ppl without creating an entire MDapp (which some may consider more showy and unnecessary)