Hopkins or UCSF (accepted off waitlist)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appoggiatura

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'd like some input, especially from current students, about choosing between these two schools. I realize that this is a good problem to have, but it's a hard decision ahh.

Basically, I'm a CA resident and would ideally like an academic career in a neuro specialty in California (or a large city in other areas). UCSF is marginally cheaper than Hopkins for me, since I don't anticipate getting that much aid, and the cost of living is higher in San Francisco. I originally committed to Hopkins because its research/hospital is traditionally strong in neurology/neurosurgery and because of its reputation/network. I'm not too picky with curriculum styles, and I'm more concerned with meshing with a laidback and cooperative student body, finding supportive mentors, and being able to do translational and clinical research (I'm not too informed about the budgeting for UC schools currently, so that could be an issue? I dunno).

Thanks for any and all help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I'm a CA resident...I'm more concerned with meshing with a laidback and cooperative student body

These are the only things that should be factoring into your decision. Neither school will hold you back in ANY type of way, so quibbling over insignificant differences between things like research opps, prestige or hospital strength is a waste of time. You're from Cali, so do you need to stay in Cali to be happy? Or would you like to try a different area for med school and eventually come back for residency (and no, going to Hopkins would not hinder you from matching back to Cali)? And if you went to Hopkins second look, your student body question should already be answered. UCSF student body has a reputation of being chill, but maybe someone who went to their second look weekend can provide more insight. GL

Personally I'd just go with UCSF, since its near your home and its cheaper. Remember, you will have interest on all your loans so even a marginally cheaper place can save you big $$ in the long run. The only downside to UCSF is it being a public school, which for me means something (I hate public univs based on prior experiences with the UC system) but maybe not for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you like neurosurgery, UCSF has a unique 6 year neuro residency.

I've also been soured by the California public school system so given these two comparable institutions, which seem to pretty much equal in price, opportunity, and ranking I would go with the private school.

That's a tough choice. Personally, I'd never be able to turn down UCSF. It is the BEST!

Hopkins' student body seemed really laid back at second look, and like you said, Hopkins is the best when it comes to neurosurgery. It's up to you, though.

On the point of neurosurgery, Hopkins students get exposed to the department frequently throughout the year. I have several friends working in labs already part-time and the department is extremely thrilled to see first years interested in the department.

Both are great schools! Hopkins has been an amazing experience and the people here are great. Good luck.

UCSF is still a top program. I work in a neurosurgery lab and UCSF and UW probably fight for #1 as the top neurosurg programs west of the Mississippi.

Hopkins will always have that name value and have great neurosurgeons and neurologists (whichever specialty you choose).

You'll find great mentors in both UCSF and Hopkins. Great facilities. Great teaching hospitals. Ultimately, since you said the price will relatively the same, I think it just boils down to what feels "right" for you.

If you don't have any significant family/personal reasons to stay in California for med school, I would go to Hopkins. As another poster said, all other things equal, I would pick the private school.

UCSF all the way. Hopkins is overrated. You really think you'll get a better education just because they have slightly (SLIGHTLY) better name recognition? Go with where you think you'd be happiest as both institutions are equal academically.

UCSF all the way. Hopkins is overrated. You really think you'll get a better education just because they have slightly (SLIGHTLY) better name recognition? Go with where you think you'd be happiest as both institutions are equal academically.
I certainly wouldn't say that Hopkins has slightly better name recognition than UCSF. It has much better name recognition. However, that really shouldn't be the deciding factor. I also don't see how "both institutions are equal academically." I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't know how one can prove that, lol. Either way, you'll be fine wherever you go. Just pick where you'd rather be.

Members don't see this ad :)

UCSFs name recognition among the general public is pretty west coast limited since they don't have an an undergrad associated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCSFs name recognition among the general public is pretty west coast limited since they don't have an an undergrad associated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant among people that matter for the future of your career. Ie., residency directors, future employers, etc. I'm guessing most med students don't care about how the lay public view their school; more often than not, when mentioned it just comes off as bragging/pretentious anyway.

If you don't have any significant family/personal reasons to stay in California for med school, I would go to Hopkins. As another poster said, all other things equal, I would pick the private school.

I agree with this, but wanted to add that if you think you would be happier in San Francisco for any reason, go with that. Otherwise go with Johns Hopkins.

I meant among people that matter for the future of your career. Ie., residency directors, future employers, etc. I'm guessing most med students don't care about how the lay public view their school; more often than not, when mentioned it just comes off as bragging/pretentious anyway.
Yeah, you're guessing, alright, lol. It's alright, though, we all are in many ways.

Hopkins has much better name recognition, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor. It's really up to the OP, and how they want to approach things.

Yeah, you're guessing, alright, lol. It's alright, though, we all are in many ways.

Hopkins has much better name recognition, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor. It's really up to the OP, and how they want to approach things.

UCSF has the same if not better "brand" recognition on the West Coast, and the OP wants to stay in Cali. IMHO, this negates Hopkins' overall better name recognition. Go wherever you will be happiest. With the negligible difference in prestige amongst these two institutions, you can't go wrong.

Disclaimer: I'm a Cali resident going to Hopkins this fall.

UCSF has the same if not better "brand" recognition on the West Coast, and the OP wants to stay in Cali. IMHO, this negates Hopkins' overall better name recognition. Go wherever you will be happiest. With the negligible difference in prestige amongst these two institutions, you can't go wrong.

Disclaimer: I'm a Cali resident going to Hopkins this fall.
It probably does have the same name recognition in Cali, but that wasn't the argument. It was which had the better name recognition period. Either way, though, like I've said repeatedly, the OP will be fine with either choice. It just depends on him or her.

Baltimore over California? Not even once...

OmarSaysIndeed.png

move to Baltimore for Hopkins? No way in hell.
move to Baltimore for Hopkins + a couple million dollars? maybe...just maybe....

Seriously, as a west coaster who went to school in Philadelphia (not the prettiest city), Baltimore is perhaps the ****tiest and sketchiest city I have ever been to. It has very few charms for "Charm City".

I recognize the prestige of Hopkins because it IS hopkins, but the fact that it is in such a crappy city makes me cringe. I'll bet a few bucks that most people choose Harvard and UCSF over Hopkins because of location (and Yale and maybe even Penn).

Also to the OP, go where your heart feels right. Can you imagine yourself living and studying and actually being HAPPY in Baltimore or SF, regardless of perceived prestige. Because prestige can only get you so far.

Hopkins has much better name recognition

...not within medicine. When it comes to the potential "boost" you obtain when applying for residency/fellowship, you essentially max out with either institution. Among the lay public or outside of medicine, of course Hopkins has better name recognition.

...not within medicine. When it comes to the potential "boost" you obtain when applying for residency/fellowship, you essentially max out with either institution. Among the lay public or outside of medicine, of course Hopkins has better name recognition.
Which was my point. I've repeatedly stated that the OP would be fine going either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.