• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Hopkins psychiatry

About the Ads

splik

Professional Cat at Large
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
  1. Attending Physician
    i spoke with the PD today - he did not tell me where i was ranked though he said he doesn't do that and wouldn't ask. it was much more generic 'you have to decide if you want to come here, please let me know you have questions' blah blah which i don't think means anything. maybe i'm getting cynical in my old age but i don't believe what they say any more, i will just trust the match. (i called them back in response to missed call).

splik

Professional Cat at Large
    10+ Year Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    1. Attending Physician
      since i have accrued a reputation for bashing programs, I will say say something for a few of the myths about this program.

1. Interns wear short white coats
      apparently the psychiatry interns at bayview don't wear short white coats and if you really don't want to you don't have to wear a white coat at all (i just think it is silly for psychiatrists to wear white coats at all so asked.) they said it was based on some work done years ago suggesting that patients were more likely to respond suggestively to the white coat.

2. Hopkins is anti-psychotherapy
      There is less emphasis on psychodynamics here than many other places, but they still have didactics, supervision, and at least 1 dynamic case with psychoanalysts, and the sexual dysfunction clinic had psychoanalysts floating around. You won't get this experience of psychosexual treatment elsewhere. They have quite strong didactics in CBT, and on some of the inpatient wards the severely mentally ill receive group CBT etc. Everyone has to do family/couples therapy (which is not mandatory everywhere).

3. They are smug because they think their approach is superior to other places
      I didn't feel they were smug or self-congratulatory. Instead, they seemed a lot more honest than many places in the US, about just how little we know about mental illness, and how there was no unifying model. They correctly identified the over-emphasis on cookbook DSM-IV diagnosis rather than the phenomenologically-based interview, and that the biopsychosocial model does not really integrate different aspects of psychopathology.

4. They will work you to the bone
      I think it sounded like the intern year previously was hard core, and I can't imagine doing q3-4 overnight call ICU months but this is no longer part of it. They have nurse quacktitioners so intern year is more mellow than it was but still hardcore (but more like 70 hours a week for medicine rather than 80+). for medicine you do have to come in saturday and sunday mornings and you have to come in one morning one weekend day for psych in intern year but not thereafter. Call is q13 for PGY-2 and 3.

I think it is definitely not for everyone (only 6 months elective time, 15 months inpatient psychiatry, hard work) but I got the impression that even the not-so-hot residents would end up having been well trained (which is definitely NOT the case at many so-called top programs). And you can potentially spend 6 months abroad during your elective (there was a resident who was currently in africa? i think)

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.