Hopkins Surg Path Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone done this fellowship or know anything about it? Good experience or scut-monkey? Competitive to attain? Valuable training?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's supposed to be really good. You're not a "fellow" technically, as you have sign out privileges. In fact, as there are 4 "fellows", you're on service 9 out of 12 months, with three months of electives. All surgical cases (besides GI biopsies and GYN, as they have fellowships) are split 50-50 between "fellows" and senior faculty. I think it's a three-day cycle: In house cases; non-directed consults; frozens. "Fellows" cover weekend call (stat biopsies) and frozens. You are expected to show cases you don't know to faculty or at consensus conference, so there is a lot of support. It's sort of like a first job. It is definitely competitive and valuable training, though not for the faint of heart.

agree with LNsquasher. did this. not sure of competitiveness-sort of fell into it. i do know that they have had trouble filling the spots with internal candidates from time to time. it is a year well spent-there is definitely safety net but plenty of responsibility. no grossing. after hours and weekend call usually involves neuro frozens, renal/liver donor transplant biopsies, stat liver and lung bx. usually good backup for liver. take advantage of your electives. PM me if any further ?