Mar 25, 2010
Montana, Oregon
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, so I apologize if I post in the wrong place or post the wrong way.

I have been accepted to Hopkins, Tulane, and OHSU for epi/biostats programs at the Masters level. I need help deciding where to go. I'm from Montana and currently living in Oregon. No one in my family is in this field, so I'm sort of bobbing in the water out here alone. Any advice?

Jul 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm from Montana too! Can't really say much about Tulane and OHSU but I went to the Hopkins visit day (though for Int'l Health) and was really impressed. I'd say Hopkins has the best reputation in the field (very well known name) and will be the most rigorous academically but that's just my opinion. Of course there are other factors that go into the decision (cost, location, etc). Did you have a chance to visit or talk to professors or current students?

Mar 25, 2010
Montana, Oregon
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Where in MT are you from??

Well, I visited Hopkins last October and I have to say that I truly loved the school, and I know it would be a great environment to learn in, but right now I live in Portland, Oregon, and that's a pretty long haul of a move, and I would be moving by myself, which is a bit intimidating. It's also wicked expensive. I haven't visited Tulane yet but would like to. I also haven't visited OHSU yet but hope to do so in the next week or two. I chatted with someone from the OHSU program, and they seemed to suggest I go to one of the other schools, but I'm just not sure what to do. I'd really like to go on to a PhD or MD program, but I don't know which one yet, so I was given the advice to do a masters degree first to figure out if I enjoyed it. Now I'm just confused if that's even what I should be doing, but don't know what else I would do. Ah!