Hopkins vs. Columbia MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, .

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I just got accepted into the MPH programs at Hopkins (Humanitarian Assistance concentration) and Columbia (Forced Migration track). I am so torn between the two and hoped someone could lend some advice!.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ideally I would like to pursue employment with an organization such as the IRC or UNHCR, after I graduate, working in the field in the role of health coordinator for example. I would also be very happy working for other non-profit organizations focused on health (preferably working with forced migration issues). .

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Other factors that are influencing my decision include:.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
  • length of course (1 year vs. 2 years),
  • specific program concentrations (Columbia has a concentration in forced migration whereas I would be pursuing the Humanitarian Assistance track at Hopkins),
  • Living in NY vs. Baltimore.
  • International reputation and marketability
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi, .

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I just got accepted into the MPH programs at Hopkins (Humanitarian Assistance concentration) and Columbia (Forced Migration track). I am so torn between the two and hoped someone could lend some advice!.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ideally I would like to pursue employment with an organization such as the IRC or UNHCR, after I graduate, working in the field in the role of health coordinator for example. I would also be very happy working for other non-profit organizations focused on health (preferably working with forced migration issues). .

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Other factors that are influencing my decision include:.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
  • length of course (1 year vs. 2 years),
  • specific program concentrations (Columbia has a concentration in forced migration whereas I would be pursuing the Humanitarian Assistance track at Hopkins),
  • Living in NY vs. Baltimore.
  • International reputation and marketability
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi,

Congrats on your acceptance to both schools!

I'm not sure how big of a help I can be, but I completed my MHS degree at Hopkins in Biochem/Molecular Bio. So it's not exactly what you are concentrated in, but I can however, speak of the school. I would HIGHLY recommend Hopkins. It's an excellent school with outstanding professors. I felt that I have gained SO much academically. Their courses are great and professors are all very friendly.

Yes, Baltimore wasn't so great, but you'll get used to it. I could recommend some apts to you if you do decide to go to hopkins.

Best of luck!

Hi,

Congrats on your acceptance to both schools!

I'm not sure how big of a help I can be, but I completed my MHS degree at Hopkins in Biochem/Molecular Bio. So it's not exactly what you are concentrated in, but I can however, speak of the school. I would HIGHLY recommend Hopkins. It's an excellent school with outstanding professors. I felt that I have gained SO much academically. Their courses are great and professors are all very friendly.

Yes, Baltimore wasn't so great, but you'll get used to it. I could recommend some apts to you if you do decide to go to hopkins.

Best of luck!

What have you done with your degree? I am considering going to Hopkins as well, for the MHS in Epi, however, I want to go into public health practice, not academics. Would you still suggest the MHS at Hopkins, or an MPH elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
What have you done with your degree? I am considering going to Hopkins as well, for the MHS in Epi, however, I want to go into public health practice, not academics. Would you still suggest the MHS at Hopkins, or an MPH elsewhere?

Well with my degree, i intend to use it to strengthen my application to apply for medical school, which i am doing right now...

I would suggest that if you want to do public health practice, then perhaps an MPH would be more suitable for you. I'm not too knowledgeable with public health practices or MPHs, so perhaps you can do more research and ask other SDNers. My MHS degree was for pre-meds....so it's a bit different. i hope this helps and good luck!

Well first of all congratulations! I really don't think you can go wrong with your choice! But I would seriously suggest you go with Columbia. The first reason being that you will be in a better position attaining experience related to forced migration. There are plenty of non-profits in New York who deal with this issue directly or in some measure. If you were to go to Baltimore you would have to commute or move to DC for your continental work. Of course, your degree may take you overseas anyway so you may not need to choose based on locally available experience. The second reason is that Columbia is, I believe, ranked higher than John Hopkins for their MPH programs overall. The Mailman school is really excellent because the faculty are well experienced and the school alums are placed in highly ranking positions throughout the country, but I guess you can say the same for Johns Hopkins!

Good luck! Oh and I am biased, I will be beginning my MPH program at Columbia this fall. :)

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. The MPH - MHS distinction isn't that big or that important. Both schools have strong programs in refugee/migrant/humanitarian issues, and strong connections to NGOs and government agencies (while are available in both NYC and DC). Both schools are very well respected overall, and any set of "rankings" between schools of that quality are pretty meaningless.

I think the main considerations for you should be:
- have you looked over the curricula and course offerings, and have you seen something at one school or the other that appeals to you?
- is one school offering you better financial aid?
- are there specific faculty members at one school whose work appeals to you, and have you tried contacting them?
- do you have a preference for NYC vs. Baltimore? (for most people, the clear choice is NYC, but there are some who really like Baltimore and/or hate NYC, or have other reasons for wanting to be near DC)

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision!

I think you cant go wrong with either choice, However as a current student at Mailman i can attest to the large amount of opportunities available to gain experience in NYC.
Then again if you decision is more curriculum oriented, a TA of mine who studies at Hopkins and TA's a mailman class claims that the math focus at hopkins is much stronger.