Hopkins vs. Duke full scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guava

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a full scholarship at Duke. I am deciding between Hopkins and Duke. Although Duke is obviously better regarding money, I think that Hopkins has perhaps more in the way of prestige and better match list. What do all of you think?

Members don't see this ad.

wow, are you serious? totally take the money. duke has tons of prestige.

I recently got a full scholarship at Duke. I am deciding between Hopkins and Duke. Although Duke is obviously better regarding money, I think that Hopkins has perhaps more in the way of prestige and better match list. What do all of you think?

I think you nailed this one, buddy. Drop kick Duke...Hello Hopkins!

Members don't see this ad :)

Great question. Well, the answer is obvious. You have to decline Duke and go to Hopkins because Hopkins has about a quarter of a million dollars of prestige in comparison with Duke. Why do you inflict this crap on sincere and honest people? My patience is wearing thin. And please do not respond by telling us this is a "sincere question." I just got done watching the news reports about Virginia Tech and I am not in the mood for this bullsh#t.

I thought Duke was no longer offering full scholarships.

Great question. Well, the answer is obvious. You have to decline Duke and go to Hopkins because Hopkins has about a quarter of a million dollars of prestige in comparison with Duke. Why do you inflict this crap on sincere and honest people? My patience is wearing thin. And please do not respond by telling us this is a "sincere question." I just got done watching the news reports about Virginia Tech and I am not in the mood for this bullsh#t.

waaelllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!! (I hear church music)......Preach Preacha Preach!!!!!!!!

oh shoot!!!!.... I got the happy feet...yessssssssssss searun....prrrrrreaaaaach!!!!

I would reapply next year to see if I could get a scholarship to Hopkins.

How is it that people as obnoxious as the OP are given scholarships in the first place?

i think this is a flamer- post count of 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Johns Hopkins! When you withdraw from Duke, tell me. That way, I can call and ask to have your scholarship. They won't feel like digging through the files and just give it to me:D .

Congratulations, guava! Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I am in a similar dilemma.

I haven't received financial aid offers from either school, and I am having a hard time trying to decide between the two. The main drawback about Hopkins is the location, but objectively, what are the negative points about Duke? What do you think are some difficulties I might face if I go to Duke?

You should definitely go to Duke. Hopkins is probably the better school, but it's not like Duke isn't a top notch. You will probably fare well in either school. Take the cash =)

If your not a troll, tell hopkins (admissions, not financial aid) you have a full scholarship to duke, you really would prefer to go to hopkins, but you would have hard time turning down a full ride. See what happens. This doesn't obligate you to anything, and can only help you. Negotiation when you are in the driver seat = fun.

If your not a troll, tell hopkins (admissions, not financial aid) you have a full scholarship to duke, you really would prefer to go to hopkins, but you would have hard time turning down a full ride. See what happens. This doesn't obligate you to anything, and can only help you. Negotiation when you are in the driver seat = fun.

I agree, this is worth a shot. I mean, you're not exactly jumping to accept the scholarship that Duke is waving in your face, which suggests you'd actually rather go to Johns Hopkins, even if it does mean turning down Duke's offer.

FYI - a full tuition scholarship at Duke still equates to 100K in debt after four years. This is something to think about when comparing financial aid packages.

FYI - only URMs get full tuition scholarships at Duke...

only a full tuition scholarship? Duke said they would build a statue for me if i came

only a full tuition scholarship? Duke said they would build a statue for me if i came

Well, they gave ME a frisbee and a man purse!!!!

FYI - a full tuition scholarship at Duke still equates to 100K in debt after four years. This is something to think about when comparing financial aid packages.

FYI - only URMs get full tuition scholarships at Duke...
I am very sorry if I sounded obnoxious in my original posting. Could you please explain how you could still have 100K loans after a full tuition scholarship?

BTW: I am not a URM. Duke also offers other merit-based scholarships.

Well, they gave ME a frisbee and a man purse!!!!

a frisbee AND a man purse???!!!! im pissed, i got ripped off

seriously OP, if you are for real, do what that guy said about telling hopkins about the scholarship...and you can be in 100k debt cause of your living expenses, books, travel, say maybe 20k a year *4 = 80k + any undergrad debt(?)

what are the negative points about Duke? What do you think are some difficulties I might face if I go to Duke?
There are absolutely no negatives about Duke. It is paradise.

The negatives about Duke, let's see...some don't like the location (I think the triangle is more than fine), it feels very fast-paced, not much time off (3 weeks after 1st year), some mandatory lectures, cool students who all get along but still lean towards the "neurotic" side of things, the fact that the media hates you for no reason.

The positives: great curriculum (duke = essentially a 2 yr med school), cheap cost of living, great weather, cooperative classmates who like to party, awesome administration, rotations in 2nd year, Duke Basketball. And in your case, lots of free money. Take the scholarship and don't look back.

I am very sorry if I sounded obnoxious in my original posting. Could you please explain how you could still have 100K loans after a full tuition scholarship?

BTW: I am not a URM. Duke also offers other merit-based scholarships.

On interview day, they said the only full tuition scholarships were for minorities, but I don't care to argue that point, especially since I withdrew...

Roughly: Duke cost of attendance is 64K in year one. Tuition will be around 39K after it's adjusted this year for inflation. Therefore that's 25K in expenses. Multiply that by four and there's 100K. That doesn't include accumulated interest on the 15.5K in unsubsidized loans that you will need each year...

Here's what's interesting: If people who have full tuition scholarships still have 100K in expenses over four years, how is the average debt for ALL students at Duke around 80K (I don't remember the exact figure). Given the fact that a lot of people at Duke DON'T get 3rd year scholarships, I can only come to three possibilities:

1. People get a lot of outside scholarships (doubtful for MDs)
2. Duke students are wealthy
3. They include MD/PhDs in the calculation...

I think everyone has this same question. I think the real answer lies in a combination of all of the things you listed. But say, for instance, that they are including all of the scholarships and mudphud kids. That is a LOT of each class. I could be totally off here, but I thought there were like 10 or so minority scholarships. Then there are some other scholarships for everyone. Then there are the mudphuds. Then there are a few kids in each class who get like $50K per year from the state of NC through some program. I have no idea if all of that is calculated, but that would seriously drop the average debt waaaaay down.

So then once you add mommy and daddy into the picture [which, who are we kidding...medical students get parental support...well, not me, but a lot do] and the kids with 3rd year grants, etc....

On interview day, they said the only full tuition scholarships were for minorities, but I don't care to argue that point, especially since I withdrew...

Roughly: Duke cost of attendance is 64K in year one. Tuition will be around 39K after it's adjusted this year for inflation. Therefore that's 25K in expenses. Multiply that by four and there's 100K. That doesn't include accumulated interest on the 15.5K in unsubsidized loans that you will need each year...

Here's what's interesting: If people who have full tuition scholarships still have 100K in expenses over four years, how is the average debt for ALL students at Duke around 80K (I don't remember the exact figure). Given the fact that a lot of people at Duke DON'T get 3rd year scholarships, I can only come to three possibilities:

4. They're all LIARS

Do you already have a man bag?

Applicants that post questions such as these are far too _____ to deserve the scholarship.

Possible choices for the ______ .
A) idiotic
B) excessively idiotic
C) incredibly excessively idiotic

i prefer the simpler "you're a ho"

i prefer the simpler "you're a ho"
If you find this thread so offensive and idiotic, please do not read it. There is no need to throw insults and waste your time.

If you find this thread so offensive and idiotic, please do not read it. There is no need to throw insults and waste your time.

dude...you need to see the humor in this thread. If you post a question like this you are going to get these responses.

If you want a serious answer, I think you've got be kidding me to be comparing prestige for Duke or Hopkins. Location, student body, weather?...valid questions. Prestige???? No. Take the money, unless you really love hopkins and are going to feel abysmal picking Duke

btw, where are you getting the impression that hopkins' match list is better? Duke's list favors southern schools a bit more, obviously, but that's hardly qualifies as worse.

I don't know how people come up with these ridiculous suggestions, like that post above that says Duke might be academically worse than hopkins. That's garbage...how the hell would that person know,or have any valid support.

if you dont go to Duke send me your man purse...I want it

Reactions: 1 user
If you're actually spending 25K a year on expenses you need to stop leasing that Bentley, buy fewer "required" textbooks, and switch from Cristal to White Star

The 25K on expenses come from the estimated student budget from Duke. 4500 of which are unavoidable (i.e health insurance, fees, and parking permit). With that information, I don't believe that living on 20K is unreasonable, although you could spend less in Durham on a frugal budget

If you want a serious answer, I think you've got be kidding me to be comparing prestige for Duke or Hopkins. Location, student body, weather?...valid questions. Prestige???? No. Take the money, unless you really love hopkins and are going to feel abysmal picking Duke

btw, where are you getting the impression that hopkins' match list is better? Duke's list favors southern schools a bit more, obviously, but that's hardly qualifies as worse.

In my opinion, the biggest factors - positive or negative - with comparing Duke to any other school are the curriculum (accelerated pace, research year, etc.) and being located in Durham. If you aren't completely averse to these, then yeah Duke looks like the no-brainer.

This doesn't prevent you from telling Hopkins you prefer them (if you do) and asking if they can match the offer or come close. The question you should probably answer before doing this, however, is exactly how much more (i.e. $ terms) you'd be willing to pay to go to JHU over Duke. And if you can seriously accept ending up at either depending on what Hopkins says, then bargaining is definitely in your best interest.

Also, this is heresay from a buddy who got the offer from Duke (non-URM), but apparently they just gave out ~10-15 new merit scholarships this year. Crazy considering what we were all told about the merit $ only being for URMs on interview day.

And also just my opinion here, but Duke doesn't lack prestige to any school. As I remember, their res. director and peer rankings in the US News were around 3rd, a tick behind Hopkins/HMS.

The OP's question is totally valid. None of us have any idea what his/her financial situation is or what the final amount in loans will be from each school. The difference could be 100K...or it could be close to nothing. If you have a relatively small expected family income, that means that you will likely get tons of grant money from Hopkins, possibly even comparable to the scholarship money you'll get from Duke, in the end each school's loan package would be pretty close. If you're rich, on the other hand, spend your money how you want.

I vote for Duke./.

The OP's question is totally valid.

No, the OPs question was stupid and trollish - he was asking for opinions if the prestige and match list superiority at Hopkins w/ no scholarship trumped Duke with a scholarship - gimme a break! His question was not really about finances, it was about prestige and "wow" factor / impress my friends factor.

Oh, that's right. I forgot I was on SDN, where prestige / rankings = everything.

Duke has an estimated $1490 living allowance. That equates to $17,880 for the first year.

I live in Durham and I spend much less than $1490 per month, and I guarantee I go out more now then I would as a med student.

Also, I talked to fin aid, and they told me that 37 third-years received scholarships usually ranging from $10K - $25K last year. The year before 47 received the scholarships. Its a lot more favorable to receive money than people are speculating. Remember some of the 100 students you are competing with are inelligible for this third-year scholarship for research: those doing dual-degrees (MSTP, MD/MPH, etc).

Do us all a favor, post the statistics that prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, how superior the prestige at Hopkins is compared to Duke's. Then also post a link to each respective school's match list and then explain (in laymen term for us '******s') how you came to the conclusion that Hopkins' match list is better than Duke.

In the meantime, take $136,000 ($34,000 * 4, which is Hopkins Tuition for 4 years) and flush it down the toilet (or send it to me...I have loans I need to pay off and I'm sure that amount will surely help me out). Make sure to bang your head on the seat a few times as it will probably take a while to flush down that entire amount and you might need something to occupy your time. When you have done this, then at least you can make a reasoned comparision between Duke and Hopkins based on their own merit, such as curriculum, location, weather, your perception, and other such comparison that actually matters....)

Of course, you could have avoided all this by not posting such ridiculous a question under the guise that this is actually a serious dilemma that you're facing. Call the Hopkins Financial Aid office and let them know that although you are interested in Hopkins (obviously), you cannot in good conscience turn down the Duke full tuition offer and see if they are willing to match it to entice you to attend their school.

But you probably won't do this. Instead you'll defend your position on SDN with conviction, and end up going to Hopkins with no aid assistance. Enjoy Baltimore.

[/QUOTE] Roughly: Duke cost of attendance is 64K in year one. Tuition will be around 39K after it's adjusted this year for inflation. Therefore that's 25K in expenses. Multiply that by four and there's 100K. That doesn't include accumulated interest on the 15.5K in unsubsidized loans that you will need each year...

3. They include MD/PhDs in the calculation...[/QUOTE]

This would be assuming that the OP has no financial need. Many schools give you need based aid first and then use whatever scholarship you earned to reduce the loan portion of your package. lets say your school determines that your family has need and can contribute $10,000 a year. The school would normally just make you pay that $10,000 plus give you a few grants and mostly loans up to the school's budget. However, If you get a merit scholarship for full tuition (like $40,000), schools don't take away your need-based aid. Your merit scholarship is something extra you earned so it'll be on top of your normal package. The OP would likely be able to keep his need based grants, his loans would likely be eliminated by the full scholarship, and he would just be left with the $10,000 parental contribution. Over four years that would be just $40,000 debt or a little more. I think people with full scholarships come out with much less debt that $100,000 for this reason (assuming they have some need, which most of us do), and this would explain the low average debt for Duke students.

d00d.... can we get back on the topic of the murse... I GOT NO MURSE! WTF Dookter?!?!?! Where's mine.

d00d.... can we get back on the topic of the murse... I GOT NO MURSE! WTF Dookter?!?!?! Where's mine.

Ha ha ha ha! I got the murse at 2nd look. I believe my fiance has it now. She said it didn't match my eyes.

I do declare... that is a dilly of pickle. I hope to God I don't have to face a similar problem come this time next year. Guava, you are a brave soul.

:bullcrap:

Is being a graduate of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine worth $250,000 to you? Because thats what its going to cost you. At least.

If you answered yes to that question, go to Hopkins. Some people want to just save money, some are willing to pay more for prestige. Things are only worth what you are willing to pay for them. That being said, Duke is an excellent medical school, and you are VERY VERY lucky to have gotten admitted to two of the finest schools in the country AND be offered a full-ride to one of them.

you fool. unless your parents or the government is paying the bill, go with the money at duke (and the better location, incidentally).

this is almost as silly as that case versus stanford thread several months back. what nonsense.

you fool. unless your parents or the government is paying the bill, go with the money at duke (and the better location, incidentally).

this is almost as silly as that case versus stanford thread several months back. what nonsense.

ssh, you might come off as rude and insensitive:laugh: It's better to placate their ego with a nice pat on the back.