Hopkins vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crassus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was heavily leaning towards Hopkins until I recently received a significant scholarship from Maryland. Given the tuition at Maryland, this practically makes Maryland tuition-free given my financial situation ($8000 per year in tuition).

Hopkins would come around to $226,000 total in tuition.

With that being said, I am interested in academic medicine, so I'm conflicted as to where I should go. I'm fortunate to have some financial assistance to take care of most of my living expenses, but my debt, if I were to go to Hopkins, would probably be above $200,000.

Hopkins

Pros

- Reputation/prestige translates into an excellent match list
- Awesome hospital system, seems like it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn in JHH.
- True Pass/Fail, with no internal ranking (AOA is reported after matching)
- The college system seems like a great way to socialize and build camaraderie with fellow students
- The vibe I got during the interview day was awesome: students seemed to quite relaxed and friendly, as did the administration.

Cons
- Cost

Maryland

Pros

- Cost would make it virtually free

Cons
- Worried about possible limitations when it comes time to match. While I'm aware that my own efforts will have the largest influence on where I match, the fact that Step 1 is going pass/fail makes me worry about matching at competitive residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend that was in this exact same situation. He chose to go to Hopkins. He graduated and matched into psych. He said it was one of his biggest regrets. Something to think about.

200k is nothing to scoff at.

You're smart enough to get into Hopkins, you'll be smart enough to match into any specialty you want.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a friend that was in this exact same situation. He chose to go to Hopkins. He graduated and matched into psych. He said it was one of his biggest regrets. Something to think about.

200k is nothing to scoff at.

You're smart enough to get into Hopkins, you'll be smart enough to match into any specialty you want.

Yeah, there's always the possibility that I don't end up doing academic medicine. Given the fact that Step 1 is going pass/fail, wouldn't I be doing myself a favor by going to Hopkins and thereby maximizing my chances at matching there or at another highly regarded residency program?

Looking at Maryland's match list, it seems a good match is almost guaranteed for EM -- I imagine this is because they have shock trauma. Otherwise, there are some students among other specialties that match into good programs. I would agree with the response above that you could be one of those students given A to Hopkins. Match seems to be all about what you accomplish in med school and based on your UG accomplishments, I'd say you're gonna get things done. I think that since students do match at some T20 institutions, you won't be precluded going to Maryland.

2nd I think the only people who believe that PF Step means heightened name recognition are neurotic pre-meds. If you look at the list from PDs about important factors for selecting candidates, most of the time name of school is not high on the list and it doesn't say T20, it says name recognition.

Also $$$$. Keep in mind the real cost, so add in the interest over ~10 years for the extra money you'd need for Hopkins. Then sit and think about whether Hopkins is worth that investment or whether you'd rather have that income for life post-grad.

Congrats on your acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a substantial chance that your choice of medical schools will not affect where you ultimately match. Google what residency directors actually look for in candidates: while medical school matters, it is nowhere near the top of the list. Unless you come from a very wealthy family, I would be inclined to take the free tuition.

Go to Hopkins and don't look back. You can always go down, you can't always go back up. If you are interested in academic medicine at all, this is a no brainer. If you end up wanting to do community health, it is always easy to get debt removed by working for a non profit or in an at risk area.

There are always opportunities to save money and take sacrifices in the future. I think when you have the opportunity to go to a great institution like Hopkins, you should take it and run with it.