Hopkins vs Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicycle

Reaction score
Thank you advance for your help! I’ve been really lucky this cycle and after getting financial aid info back (ruling out Vandy and Northwestern), I’m left with a difficult choice between Hopkins and Pritzker.

Goals: I absolutely love teaching (can’t imagine myself not doing it) and a longtime dream of mine is to enter academic medicine and become a clinician-educator. Community involvement, especially with underserved populations, is also important to me. As for specialty interests, I’m interested in family medicine, but I’m not sure yet and want to keep my options open.

Hopkins (~80% tuition scholarship)
Pros
(+++) Name/ranking/prestige: I’ve heard that it’s important for entering academic medicine​
(++) Research: More research opportunities and high-powered PIs​
(+) Specialty: I’m undecided about specialty and JHU might provide better matching prospects if I decide on a competitive specialty later on?​
(+) Friends: Have several close friends attending school in the area​
(+) Outside pressure: Parents / their circle of friends think it would be crazy for me to turn down the Hopkins name at this discounted price haha​
Cons
(- -) Location: Haven’t heard great things about Baltimore from friend who’s a current JHU student (packages stolen, car broken into, not safe past late afternoon, etc). As someone with untested street smarts, this really concerns me​
(- -) Unsupportive admin: Friend isn’t happy with her experience there and her stories about the administration have made me worried I wouldn’t be either?​
(-) Gut: My gut hasn’t been fond of Hopkins from the start. Had a pretty negative interview day impression of JHU and wasn’t really excited when I got in​
(-) Med ed: Less of an emphasis at JHU, so there’s not as much institutional support (no med ed track and fewer organized opportunities). However, it might be easier to stand out? Net negative since I don’t know how true the second half is​
(-) Car: Basically required and I’m a really sucky driver​
UChicago Pritzker (75% tuition scholarship)
Pros
(+ + +) Positive vibes: Fell in love with Pritzker while writing secondaries, fell deeper on my interview day (really clicked with the students I spoke to), and cried happy tears when I was accepted​
(+ +) Med ed: Known as the “teacher of teachers” with a strong track record of sending students into academic careers. The medical education scholarly track is super unique and is something I’m excited about. May result in a better “teaching portfolio”​
(+ +) Support: Small class size, responsive administration, and close to family​
(+) Environment: Everyone I’ve met here seems so chill and laid back. Pritzker's admitted students’ fb page and GroupMe are much friendlier and livelier too!​
(+) Universe intervention (jk): When I flipped a coin, 4/5 flips came up Pritzker haha​
Cons
(- -) Clinical: Have heard clinical training at Pritzker isn’t as strong (doesn’t start till 3rd year, fewer clinical sites, hospital system not as strong?)​
(-) Curriculum: Not a fan of their 18-month preclinical​
(-) Cost: $10k more – not a lot, but still…​
(-) AOA: Worried AOA might affect competitiveness within class or residency matching prospects​
(-) Perception: I can’t control public and program director perceptions of Pritzker, but I can control my own attitude and perception towards JHU. This means a net negative for Pritzker?​

Wash:
() Service opportunities: JHU SOURCE and Shepherd's Clinic vs Pritzker five free clinics​
() Advising: JHU molecules advising + four colleges vs Pritzker smaller class sizes (+ societies, which I don’t think are that much of a thing)​
() Grading: I think both have H/HP/P/F for clerkships and P/F for first two years​
() Weather/city amenities: Not important to me​

Summary: Go with brain (Hopkins) or heart (Pritzker)?

As you can tell, I’ve thought about this a lot and would love to hear external input instead of running in circles in my mind. Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad.

(+ + +) Positive vibes: Fell in love with Pritzker while writing secondaries, fell deeper on my interview day (really clicked with the students I spoke to), and cried happy tears when I was accepted
This is HUGE imo. It sounds like Pritzker is a place where you would really thrive. We're pretty similar in terms of our interests (academic medicine, community involvement, mentorship and education) and I personally think Pritzker would open just as many doors for you to pursue these goals as Hopkins would. I say to follow your gut/heart, especially since the costs are basically the same. Feel free to message me if you want to chat as I'm also considering both of these!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you are leaning Pritzker. They definitely win in terms of free clinic options, and their admin seems reaalllly supportive. You might be able to get them to match or surpass Hopkins' fin aid offer too, I heard they're receptive to matching fin aid.

However Hopkins will have an edge should you decide to apply to more competitive specialties. They may also have a wider range of research ops if you're into that. You can also get involved in med ed w/o there needing to be some specific "track," btw.

Fwiw, n +=1 regarding the negative things I've also heard about Hopkins admin, and n = 2 of my friends not happy with their experience there.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I would go Hopkins, it will open a lot of doors for you in terms of match and research on name alone. And with that much off of tuition honestly seems like the perfect fit. And for academic medicine prestige means much more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In reference to the advising issue, I’m also considering Pritzker and they have “colleges” or whatever the name is with advisors for those groups + the research and discovery mentor person for each student.

Reactions: 1 user