Hopkins vs U Mich Med: which school is tougher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that Hopkins is one of the toughest, if not the toughest school in terms of intensity and rigorous curiculum. LIkewise, I've heard people mention about U Mich's rigorous curriculum, especially their tough 2nd and 3rd yrs.

SO which school is tougher?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm... I don't think you'll find too many people who have gone through both programs so as to compare the two ;) Can we just call it a draw?

i imagine duke is pretty tough,with that whole "M1 and M2 condensed into one" curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont both schools pretty much cover the same amount/type of material in the same amount of time? Sounds pretty even to me.

Actually its neither. The University of Bosnia Medical is more rigorous since you have to evade landmine fields to get from Anatomy to the Pharmocology lecture. Then get thru a gauntlet to get from there to Histology. Brutal.

WHat a dumb question....like no other school in America teaches Anatomy, Physiology, Pharm, Biochem...I guess all the rest are just doing Ethics and the History of Medicine and graduating the people and hoping they actually learned something related to medicine.
+pissed+

haha university of bosnia!

ok but seriously, i think despite that most med schools teach the same ****, they approach it differently. there might also be different pressures (for example if some school had a High H/H/pass/fail system that'll be a lot of stress)

so i think the original questions is valid. i'm gonna go w/ JHU cuz studying in the ghetto is always tough if u r trying to dodge bullets and u always gotta watch yo back!

Don't forget about the ghetto of Ann Arbor...man this place is scary ;) (sarcasm = thick, just to clarify)

Does anyone else get irritated listening to people complain about the neighborhood around JHU? It's a city with crime and problems, lots of schools are not in the best area. I don't want to go walking around Wayne State in Detroit or LSU in New Orleans (I'm sure there's more examples, but those are the 2 cities I've lived in) any more or any less than I want to go walkin around East Baltimore at night.

Just my thoughts. Can't we all just get along? No more hating on Baltimore :)

Originally posted by NineSixteen
Don't forget about the ghetto of Ann Arbor...man this place is scary ;) (sarcasm = thick, just to clarify)

Does anyone else get irritated listening to people complain about the neighborhood around JHU? It's a city with crime and problems, lots of schools are not in the best area. I don't want to go walking around Wayne State in Detroit or LSU in New Orleans (I'm sure there's more examples, but those are the 2 cities I've lived in) any more or any less than I want to go walkin around East Baltimore at night.

Just my thoughts. Can't we all just get along? No more hating on Baltimore :)

I agree with you for the most part. Its true that there are schools in better locations than Baltimore/Hopkins, but some people have this image in their heads that they literally encounter gun battles and knife fights regularly on the Hopkins campus.

The campus itself is not bad, I've noticed there are security guards on every corner. Of course, that says a lot about the surrounding neighborhood.

In some ways, it could be a plus to be located in an economically poor area. Poorer people (in my opinion) actually are willing to give you more of a chance to learn medicine with them. Contrast this with financially well-off populations, who are less likely to want residents or med students anywhere near them.

Im doin a research program in the Hopkins Bayview complex and I am living in Dundalk(Suburb of Baltimore). I am from Texas and I would say overall Baltimore sucks. Sorry to all of you guys who live here, but there isn't much to do if your not 21. The park benches in B-more say ' The Greatest City in the World" who the hell wrote that crap?????

Originally posted by longhorn
The park benches in B-more say ' The Greatest City in the World" who the hell wrote that crap?????

:D ha I was wondering the same thing...

i'm from texas as well, its a big change thats for sure. Its not all bad though.. you just have to look a little harder.

Originally posted by longhorn
but there isn't much to do if your not 21.

Good thing I'm over 21 :) I can't wait to move there!