Hopkins Waitlist 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder why retention is so high this year relative to other years.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder why retention is so high this year relative to other years.

It's not really that much different, maybe a little bit better than usual, but the admissions people are always really vague with the numbers because its so complicated (you'd be surprised how much people move in and out, one person accepted and then rescinded within half an hour, only to do it two more times). I think I understated our retention rates previously, we get a little higher than 40%. So there is waitlist movement, people will come off the waitlist, but its just not gonna be this massive exodus that we were worried about because of the financial aid, the financial aid didn't turn out to be as bad as we had thought, it was quite good for many people.

Really, I don't want to be a jerk here, you guys do have a shot of getting in, there is waitlist movement, I just wanted to keep you guys updated that right now we're overfilled.

Thanks for the update JHopRevisit. Regardless of how dissapointing it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks JHOPrevisit. Your posts are always very helpful and it makes waiting much easier being in the know. P.S. I always called Johns Hopkins JHU or Hopkins in my mind, but slowly I find myself calling it JHOP :)

I'd say secure a place to live at the school you're in at now, and if you have to make the happy move to bmore last minute, let me know, I'm pretty familiar with the area and can make some recommendations :)

Well, I think I would. Btw, it won't be much of a move, cos I currently live in Bmore. haaa. But I will contact you, so I can live close to everyone else. :)

It's not really that much different, maybe a little bit better than usual, but the admissions people are always really vague with the numbers because its so complicated (you'd be surprised how much people move in and out, one person accepted and then rescinded within half an hour, only to do it two more times). I think I understated our retention rates previously, we get a little higher than 40%. So there is waitlist movement, people will come off the waitlist, but its just not gonna be this massive exodus that we were worried about because of the financial aid, the financial aid didn't turn out to be as bad as we had thought, it was quite good for many people.

Really, I don't want to be a jerk here, you guys do have a shot of getting in, there is waitlist movement, I just wanted to keep you guys updated that right now we're overfilled.

Thank for all the info JHOP!
Also, when I emailed someone in the admission department they told me not to send any updates at all, including any final transcript or letter of intent. What happens to the updates people do send? Does anyone ever see them, or are they just thrown away?

I think I read somewhere that the Hopkins adcom doesn't meet to decide who is coming off the waitlist, but instead just goes down the ranked list. Is that true?

Thanks again!

Also, when I emailed someone in the admission department they told me not to send any updates at all, including any final transcript or letter of intent. What happens to the updates people do send? Does anyone ever see them, or are they just thrown away?

I think I read somewhere that the Hopkins adcom doesn't meet to decide who is coming off the waitlist, but instead just goes down the ranked list. Is that true?

Thanks again!

No one seems to know the real answer. But I think you are about 70% close to the truth.

Thanks again!

at revisit, the table i was sitting at had a professor who used to help with admissions. he was explaining the complicated process they use to decide who gets in/rank. during this he mentioned that that was how they did waitlists

Thanks for the kind words, it's a pleasure helping you guys out, good luck to all of you.

I heard the ranked list is based on the system the NIH uses to rank grants. Figures. :) There's no Adcom meetings, like you guys said.

What I've always heard is that since the Adcom doesn't meet, your update letter probably won't make a difference. Then again I'm guessing it won't hurt, so if you have something to send you can, just don't count on it getting you in. Faculty members can still take a particular interest in your file if you didn't get in the first time and look through it again if they want, at which point your letter would factor in, but that's not that frequent of an occurence. A ridiculous achievement like a Rhodes scholarship might also catch someones eye, but an upward grade trend probably won't. So use your discretion.

Hopkins giving us the cold shoulder?:( Not fair!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i saw on previous years threads that acceptances started picking up on may 24...but i guess someone on this thread said no movement until june 1...

I have already given up hope. Last year by this time, several people I know had been pulled off the waitlist. If there is movement this year, I will be pleasantly surprised

Me too. Already getting apartments in 2nd choice school. No movement at all is just scary.....

but how can there NOT be ANY movement?? that is crazy...im keeping hope alive!!! (even though my initial payment for my housing at 2nd choice school is coming up in three days o_O!!)

conveniently enough, the school I'm holding an acceptance to is in Baltimore as well, making this apartment situation a lot easier. I guess thats one glimpse of sunshine in the uncertainty cloud.

sounds like we'll be classmates either way lilmissdoctor! :) hooray for bmo

Hopkins giving us the cold shoulder?:( Not fair!!!

I don't get what you mean...

Yea...they are totally taking their time too....:(

I don't think they're taking their time, they're just overfilled. They just really can't do anything until the class gets under 120, its not like they're sitting at their desks all day just to irritate you. You seem a little miffed, is there anything I can do to help, maybe a question I can ask the office (and sorry, the one question you probably most want, in terms of what number of poeple are left in the class and are we still overfilled, I'm not comfortable asking because I don't want to make them give me day-by-day updates, but anything else I can try)? Whether you get into Hopkins or not, you're going to become a doctor, while I understand the waitlist process can be frustrating it may be appropriate to put things into perspective and just take a deep breath. Everything's going to be great, before you know it you'll have a shiny white coat and the world will be at your feet (or something like that). :)

awww thanks JHop. I am not as irritated as you think. I just wish I knew already where I was going. I also know that they are not sitting in the office trying to make me go nuts. Just like every one else on this forum, I wish........

By the way, a shiny white coat would not bring the world to my feet,:eek: It would bring me to the world's feet. Haha:smuggrin:

I guess there's only one thing that confuses me. When I was interviewing, I was told by several people (my student hosts, other first and second years, etc) that the alternate list has historically experienced significant movement. (While I don't remember numbers for sure, I thought there were at least 20-30 people who came off each year.) If this year isn't much different than before (with regards to retaining roughly a 40% yield), how come we aren't seeing movement off the alternate list?

I guess there's only one thing that confuses me. When I was interviewing, I was told by several people (my student hosts, other first and second years, etc) that the alternate list has historically experienced significant movement. (While I don't remember numbers for sure, I thought there were at least 20-30 people who came off each year.) If this year isn't much different than before (with regards to retaining roughly a 40% yield), how come we aren't seeing movement off the alternate list?

Well, either the Hopkins yield increased for unforeseen reasons, or they overfilled the class in anticipation of a low yield that has now turned out to be higher than expected...

Yea, its hard to imagine why there would be such a discrepancy this year compared to previous years. I could understand if they traditionally had little waitlist movement, but they supposedly have large movement.

Adding to the list of things I dont get:
Why information from every admissions office is clouded in secrecy and vagueness...
By the way, this is a universal trend and Hopkins is no different from any other school that I have applied to. JHop, if you dont mind, I would love to clarify what you meant by saying that the retention rate this year isnt that much off from the past few years. It seems from my perspective that there is a seismic shift in waitlist movement this year. Sorry if I am way off here...

Might it be that they increased the generosity of their financial aid offers, so more accepted students decided to remain?

Got the call yesterday! Hopefully you guys get the call soon!

Got the call yesterday! Hopefully you guys get the call soon!

That's awesome!!! Congrats! You should add yourself to the offical waitlist thread :)

Hopefully this is just the start of the avalanche of WL acceptances :) Good luck guys!

Hey DoctorDreamer, I'm happy to see you got into so many great places. I'm not sure I mentioned this before but we interviewed at Hopkins together. I'm the guy you were sitting next to in the lounge before Dean Hicks came in.

Oh and Goldtop, AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH back at you :scared:

I really, really need to get in somewhere. I'm feeling pretty disillusioned at the moment.

Thanks, Brock! LOL, I guess you've been board-stalking me? ;) I'm very blessed to have come off so many waitlists... Now I'm just torn between Baylor and Dartmouth. I was all set on Dartmouth, then Baylor called, then Baylor offered me a $12,000/year scholarship yesterday, and then Dartmouth called today with a $30,000/year scholarship! I would not have believed this would be me for a moment a couple of months ago!

You're not in anywhere, yet? Wow, man, that sucks! I'm rooting for you, too, then! Thanks for the kind words! (And, yes, that was a lot of exclamation points!)

Anyone else skeptical that, after all of the declarations of over-enrollment, someone gets in and makes their first post to declare their good fortune? I'm just saying...

I think he is saying that it sounds suspect that someone would do that.

I have to agree with 08. It sounded really suspect to me as well. Regardless, good luck everyone!

Anyone else skeptical that, after all of the declarations of over-enrollment, someone gets in and makes their first post to declare their good fortune? I'm just saying...

Haha, I would have said the same thing. I check out the boards sometimes, and I just thought I'd register and let you guys know that there was some movement on the waitlist. I've been checking out this thread as well, seeing if anyone got in, so I thought it might be nice to just post an update on here for everyone. Hopefully it starts to move quickly and you guys get in!

Thanks for sharing, Japes. You must have been close to the first one on the waitlist.

No problem...hopefully this means the list is moving now and more people will be called. I know waitlists are no fun whatsoever! Good luck everyone.

echoing brock and goldtop...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I just read that someone got in and I think my stomach just fell out my butt. Is there a medical term for that? Some sort of extreme prolapse? LOL