Hopkins Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just for everyone's info, I got my "stay on the alternate list" letter yesterday (5/2) in Southern CA.

Members don't see this ad.

I recieved the letter today in Chicago. I really hope there is movement this year. Best of luck to everyone!!

Still have not received it in the Northeast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone - I withdrew from Hopkins on Friday. I just wanted to wish all of you the best of luck!

Bump. But also, alternate list forms were due yesturday. Hopefully we'll see some alt. list movement next week?

Bump. But also, alternate list forms were due yesturday. Hopefully we'll see some alt. list movement next week?

I heard that much of the movement begins in late May/June, and even into July.

...and so it begins. sigh.

anyone know how many are on the alternate list? i wish had some indication of my chances of getting in...argh.

I wish I knew the # on the alternate list, too *sigh*.... Well, based on last year's thread, some phone calls should start happening next week (early, hopefully). Good luck to all of us!

Hey folks,
I just called in to the Admissions Office (I worry that they will start to feel lonely if they don't hear from me at least once every 3-4 weeks :)) I happened to speak with Dean Hicks herself (who was extremely nice, much too polite to tell me to get a life).

She said: they will not be able to start making offers off the Alternate List until the number of commitments from people in the regular acceptance pool drops below 117, and that it doesn't look like that process will start happening until at least June. Even though yesterday was the day everyone is supposed to have dropped their excess acceptances, that doesn't always happen, and Hopkins doesn't "start booting people off" (in Dean Hicks' words) for a while.

Sorry it's not better news, hang in there gang

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping (Grinding optional, but appreciated)

Anybody feel like calling the admissions office to check in case like 50 people withdrew yesterday? I'm over my call-quota for May

It's getting lonely in here. Where are my fellow hyper-anal waitlisters?

It's getting lonely in here. Where are my fellow hyper-anal waitlisters?
Right here yo! I'm just tring to take it easy a little bit, since we prolly won't hear anything until at least next week. Waiting sure sucks tho...

Just a heads-up - next week starts with Memorial Day on Monday and ends with the JHMI Biennial Meeting on Friday. In what is essentially going to be a 3-day-week, the odds are probably pretty low that they'll start sending out acceptances. Don't worry, though, this place definitely makes healthy use of the alternate list.

Just a heads-up - next week starts with Memorial Day on Monday and ends with the JHMI Biennial Meeting on Friday. In what is essentially going to be a 3-day-week, the odds are probably pretty low that they'll start sending out acceptances. Don't worry, though, this place definitely makes healthy use of the alternate list.

Hey thanks for the information. Guess I'll have to chill until then. Janny, could you hit me over the head with something and tell the paramedics I don't want to be revived until mid-June?

This process has definitely warped me, I am actually disappointed that there is a holiday next week

you're definitely not the only one zeff! i got in touch with the admissions office earlier this week and they said they've just started reviewing people on the waitlist...not quite sure whether that means they've already started taking people off the waitlist or they're gearing up to do so. let's hope the good news starts coming soon!

For those who may be interested: Hopkins' waitlist action started yesterday.

Best wishes to all.

You know of someone who got in off the waitlist already?!?!?

Ahh, and just when I had people convinced that they needed to take a week off of SDN...

JohnMadden, is your friend perhaps an MD/PhD applicant? I ask because someone holding an MD/PhD spot at Hopkins dropped out the other day, perhaps his spot was filled immediately; as I understand it, their admission process is completely separate. From my conversation with Dean Hicks, it sounded like regular MD waitlisters would not be hearing anything so soon.

Of course, this is probably just wishful thinking on my part....

The matriculant was MD only. Keep the faith!

So, I've been a member for a few months now but still don't know what "bump" means. Would someone like to explain...

I wonder if updating them w/ stuff would be worth it, or if it is irrelevant at this point.

Not a lot of action on this thread...is anybody hearing anything?

just out of sheer probability and trends from previous years, there has GOT to be a few more SDN people who get in off the waitlist. lets hope this occurs soon, ie, tomorrow/next week!

bump. any news? anyone hear of anyone getting in? It seems like some people got in at the end of May, I wonder if there's been any movement since.

Just keepin it alive folks. Anybody heard anything recently?

no news around here...anyone else hear anything? i wonder if this is getting to be a little late in the season already? i would imagine that if hopkins had any more withdrawals they would've received them by now.

no news around here...anyone else hear anything? i wonder if this is getting to be a little late in the season already? i would imagine that if hopkins had any more withdrawals they would've received them by now.
that logic makes sense to me too, but in the past they've taken several people off even in late late june/early july (reference: hopkins waitlist threads from past years). Who knows, lets hope for some news this week.

i just was on the phone with the admissions office and they said "there hasn't been much movement on the alternate list so far, and we plan to use the list up until september."

IMO, one of two interpretations are possible: 1) there is movement to be had soon, or 2) this year is going to be different than past years, with only very little movement.

I just got an acceptance email just now!!! I am really excited/honored, though I am not sure that I am going to take the spot (I have just 1 week to decide). Just wanted to let you know that there is some movement going on! :)

I also received an acceptance email last night!!! I will almost definitely be attending, as long as I receive some financial aid. I just wanted to let everyone know that there is movement. I hope it continues!!! :luck:

ps, acceptances via email? that's new.

lets hope for more movement soon!