Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphabeta53

*** Super *********
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I am one of the many I guess that did not get a call from Dean White last night. Congrats to all that did. My question is, does Dean White let all the people who were accepted know in one burst of phone calls or does he spread it out. I have let go of all hope....:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you weren't accepted after their last meeting, don't worry...you are put into a pool of acceptable applicants. You can be accepted after any one of the next meetings...all the way until May. Even after May, you may be put on an alternate list, which has a lot of movement at Hopkins (~50 people accepted off this list).

-LK
Hopkins Med Class of 2006

I forgot to add, they only accept a handful of applicants at each meeting. Also, they start accepting bigger groups of people at a time a little later in the cycle, it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if I interviewed early and did not get in this cycle. Do I get pushed into the next cycle with all of the other people who interviewed later or am I considered a bit less because I did not get in the first cycle? Basically are my chances the same as someone who interviewed later or have they decreased after this initial screening?

Thanks and much obliged

LizardKing - Do you know whether he makes all phonecalls for each cycle on one day or does he spread them out over the course of the week. (In other words, if I didn't hear yesterday, is it possible to still hear sometime this week?)

Since everyone else is asking how not getting in first round affects their chances, I'll put in my two cents and then ask my own question. Basically I think you guys still have a very good chance of getting in if you had an interview this early. I'm sure Hopkins gives out just a handful of acceptances this early to their top 20 students who all have like 40+ mcats and 3.9+ gpas and great all-around applications. They probably do this because they know that these students are going to get into lots of schools and they want to be the first to accept them so they'll hopefully come. They will be accepting plenty of people in the coming months though so you guys should be just fine. Early interviews are always great.

Now my question....I have interviewed at 6 of the 9 schools I applied to and haven't heard from the remaining 3, including hopkins. I called hopkins today since a lot of people seem to be hearing from them and since my email mailbox was full for a couple weeks without me realizing it, I missed a lot of emails. They told me that my application was reviewed by the committee and that I was not rejected but also not being invited for an interview yet. Should I take that as a positive that I wasn't rejected or as a negative that I wasn't invited for an interview. I thought I had a decent shot, I've already interviewed at duke, upenn, and harvard so I thought I'd at least get an interview before the rejection. What do you guys think?

I think most of the phone calls are in the same week. It's possible to hear a little later I think.

Originally posted by arsh
LizardKing - Do you know whether he makes all phonecalls for each cycle on one day or does he spread them out over the course of the week. (In other words, if I didn't hear yesterday, is it possible to still hear sometime this week?)

From my dealings with the Hopkins admissions process, I wouldn't say you're at a disadvantage if you didn't get accepted right away. They seem to look at the whole acceptable pool at every meeting, grab the superstars from the most recent interview date, and accept a few they overlooked from previous dates. At least that's what they say.

Also, it's really too early to worry about not getting an interview invitation. If you don't hear any news, the motto goes, that's good news. I dunno if my situation is relevant, but I turned in my app the very last day it was due, interviewed on probably the last date, and got in along with others like me.

Oh yea, Hopkins is also kinda slow with the paperwork.

-LK
Hopkins Class of 2006

even if u r not outright accepted, u have better than 90% chance of getting in if u r placed on the top 1/3 of alternate list at Hopkins. Problem is, they dont let u know if u r on the top 1/3 til April..

but trust me, hopkins accepts 46-50 every year after May, so no worries .

hey i interviewed in mid october, i have no idea which batch i was supposed to be notified in.. would I have been covered in this round or the next, and is there another round in november?

thanks,

bill