Hormones and their targets: are they really important for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just h8 memorizing those hormones and what they do. Are they really tested on MCAT and what's the percetage of questions is generally asscoaited with hormones?

Members don't see this ad.

Creightonite said:
Just h8 memorizing those hormones and what they do. Are they really tested on MCAT and what's the percetage of questions is generally asscoaited with hormones?
Memorize them, because they're on the AAMC list. Remember always the Murphy's Law of the MCAT: whatever subjects on the AAMC list that you decide to skip will be the ones that show up extensively on your test form. I memorized all the hormones, so happily I didn't have them on my test. :p But as EMT2ER said, other people do get asked about them. There's just no way to know until you take the test whether you will be asked about them or not.

what I did was make up the 20-30 flashcards from FLAT PiG to gastric hormones, to whatever else and brought them with me to the gym. Get on the treadmill or elliptical thing and just crank through them several times and then do it several times a week. Best thing is you're releasing some stress and getting exercise WHILE you're studying! It worked for me and turned biosci into one of my strong suits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Creightonite said:

They are very important---could come up via passage or discrete questions!

There was not a single q on hormones on the April 06 exam. Offcourse more knowledge never hurts anyone. Best

Creightonite said:

They're on there...although I got lucky and didn't have a single question about them on my form. However, I talked to people who did.

There was this guy who, before the BS section, started quizzing the people next to him (complete strangers) about endocrine hormones, even though they didn't even ask. This was the guy who was insistent that he found an error on the PS section.

dufflebag said:
There was not a single q on hormones on the April 06 exam. Offcourse more knowledge never hurts anyone. Best

Maybe on YOUR form. But it is a major topic tested.

QofQuimica said:
Memorize them, because they're on the AAMC list. Remember always the Murphy's Law of the MCAT: whatever subjects on the AAMC list that you decide to skip will be the ones that show up extensively on your test form. I memorized all the hormones, so happily I didn't have them on my test. :p But as EMT2ER said, other people do get asked about them. There's just no way to know until you take the test whether you will be asked about them or not.

I agree. I skipped some of the physical science "circuit" equations and got burnt on the physical sciences exam, could have done higher. I focused on the biological sciences (aka memorizing physiological processes, hormones, etc) and got a 13 there.

The MCAT is big on hormones...if you don't get them in the passages, you'll definitely get them on the discretes. Learn them well.

Creightonite said:

And if you do learn the hormones and don't see them on the MCAT it won't be a huge waste. From what I hear, they WILL come back in medical school and you'll have to learn them. Just think of it as a little bit of a head start.

Memorizing the hormones help. But think about how they work in harmony with the other systems of the body. Not just where they go but what they do when they get there.

I'm pretty sure I had a hormone problem but I can't remember for sure.

I took the MCAT twice in 2005, and there was never a "what does this hormone do" question despite what they said in the review class I took, still the test only covers so much, and knowing them can only help. Besides, how hard is it to memorize what they do when it's all in the name. E.g. ACTH. Also, know which hormones are steroid and which are peptide and how each of them interact with cell.

Know what they do more than where they go. After yo uget that down, then memorize where they come from. Most hormones activate multiple systems anyways