1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

horrible at Top/Front/End

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by dontwakeme, May 31, 2008.

1. dontwakeme

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm averaging 13-15/15 on Crack dat pat for all sections except TFE. I'm really awful at this section. Any tips?

2. Mstoothlady2012

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I suck at it too! last year when i first started studying for PAT i tried to learn top/front/end a lot but then i gave up...so what i did on the real thing was just guessed C for all the questions coz I knew there was no way I can get it right. Instead I used that time for the other sections, and I ended up scoring 18. I know its not the best score, but its good enough. This is not the best strategy, but I was just frustrated wasting time after that section.

3. uesider

uesider Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I used to hate these and kind of just give up on that entire section b/c I never even knew what they were asking! Finally I took about 3 hours to sit down and truly understand TFE. I suggest trying to actually visualize what the 3D object is, and then using the answer choices to see which side will fit the image you have created in your brain. The 3D explanations in Achiever should help with this. Once you get the hang of actually visualizing the 3D object, TFE becomes kind of fun. I started looking at various objects in my bedroom and the library and trying to figure out what the different views would look like... dorky, but that also helps! I've found that line-counting only works when given the top view and asked for the front-view, and vice-versa... so that's not totally fool-proof, although it will help on maybe 50% of them. Good luck!

PS - is CrackDAT really worth the money? I've spent SOOOOOO much on test prep materials so far, I can't imagine adding another one... I'm averaging 18/19 on Achiever... do you think I should get CrackDAT? Test is in 2 weeks...

4. Mstoothlady2012

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think it is worth it...it gives you lots of practice and that's what you need for PAT.

5. glk2101

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i was initially lost totally..all you have to do is simple..just realize what lines line up from the front to the top and from the front to the end and from the top to the end..practice and you will get almost all of them right