Horrible DAT Score: Should I still continue/submit my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistLEY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Total Science: 15
Academic Average: 14

I am really ashamed of these scores. I probably have zero chance of even getting an interview. I have completed my AADSAS application and submitted it. Should I continue with the application process and submit the Supplemental Applications?

I know this is a silly question to ask but has anyone ever been accepted with these kind of scores?

I put a lot of time into studying for this exam but did not get the results I was looking for. Maybe it was my strategy, maybe it was the materials I was using, or maybe this exam just exceeds my limits. However, I will not give up and I will refocus, come up with a better strategy, and take the exam when I am 100% ready. My advice to the people that are planning on taking the exam is: DO NOT TAKE IT UNTIL YOU FEEL 100% READY.

Members don't see this ad.

The exam does not exceed your limits. You can do well. Do something different next time, and read some of the breakdowns on here to get an idea of what materials you should use next time. What did you use?

As for applying this cycle, I think it may be out of the question because the scores are below the cut offs for probably every school, but this doesn't mean that next cycle you won't be ready.

Keep your head up. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree with @Futuredentista62. You can definitely kick some DAT ass the next go-around.

I'm afraid scores below 15 disqualify you from the vast majority of dental schools (many are 17, others are 15), so rather than pour in more money for supplementals, save up and apply next cycle.

I really do believe that the breakdowns posted here on SDN are of great help--not just to provide information regarding study schedules and materials, but also to know that you're not alone! For every minute you spend freaking out and doubting your abilities, there are thousands of applicants experiencing exactly what you're experiencing. They pull through it and so can you!

I think the next step should be taking a step back and analyzing what could have gone wrong this first time. Was there not enough time? Did you not use the right materials? Did you need a stricter study guideline? If you're the type that needs a set schedule to refer to, many of the SDN-ers on here have posted their 6-week, 8-week, etc. study schedules. You can pick one that best suites your needs and stick to it.

The great news is that you now know what to expect during the actual DAT, so you'll be mentally prepared the next time. I've heard from plenty of people that walking into Prometric is far less nerve-racking the second time.

Perhaps if you post your entire breakdown and explanations regarding what about each section gave you the most struggle, members on SDN can shed some insight as to which study materials you might want to consider.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Total Science: 15
Academic Average: 14

I am really ashamed of these scores. I probably have zero chance of even getting an interview. I have completed my AADSAS application and submitted it. Should I continue with the application process and submit the Supplemental Applications?

I know this is a silly question to ask but has anyone ever been accepted with these kind of scores?

I put a lot of time into studying for this exam but did not get the results I was looking for. Maybe it was my strategy, maybe it was the materials I was using, or maybe this exam just exceeds my limits. However, I will not give up and I will refocus, come up with a better strategy, and take the exam when I am 100% ready. My advice to the people that are planning on taking the exam is: DO NOT TAKE IT UNTIL YOU FEEL 100% READY.

Don't be discouraged...Now that you have taken the DAT once you know what to expect on the retake.

Read this post from a student who took it a 2nd time, you may consider sending him a private message.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dat-retake-success-for-average-students.1153726/

Wishing you the best, Don't ever give up, you can do it!

Nancy

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)