This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlight003

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to anyone kind enough to read this,

I'm new and this is my first post here (although I've read several posts by many of you). I graduated with a BS in Biology. I finished with a horrendous GPA of 2.4 and 134 credit hours. (I'd failed and retook a few classes, but was mostly a C student). I did have personal circumstances due to which I didn't have the time to dedicate to school.

I've returned to school in the fall of 2017 and started taking upper-level science courses and retook classes to get As and Bs in them and show upward grade trends. I'm still doing that now. I've taken 8 credits so far and am enrolled in another 14 credits this semester, 6 credits during the summer, and 11 in the fall. If all goes well, I'll have a postbacc GPA of 3.45 and a cGPA of 2.5.

I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet.

At this point, I'm trying to look for any Post-bacc, Masters, MD or DO programs that may eventually be possible for an applicant like me. Where applications are reviews holistically and postbacc GPA is considered.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This thread would be perfect for you :)! You don't have to read every page but yknow skim through to get a general idea of what others did/are doing to overcome their setbacks. There's also a low gpa success story thread out there where you can read what they did, what they wished they did differently, what helped, etc.

Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

The gist of it is to make sure you're pulling a ton of A's in your retakes/post-bacc. Since your GPA is so low definitely keep taking classes either DIY or through a formal program, at the undergrad level, to haul your cGPA and sGPA above 3.0. Nail the MCAT, but also be mindful of other parts of your application which can be used to strengthen your character. After all that if you still need more then it would be worth looking into masters but try to focus on SMPs. More info on that can be found in the postbac forum on this site.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread would be perfect for you :)! You don't have to read every page but yknow skim through to get a general idea of what others did/are doing to overcome their setbacks. There's also a low gpa success story thread out there where you can read what they did, what they wished they did differently, what helped, etc.

Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

The gist of it is to make sure you're pulling a ton of A's in your retakes/post-bacc. Since your GPA is so low definitely keep taking classes either DIY or through a formal program, at the undergrad level, to haul your cGPA and sGPA above 3.0. Nail the MCAT, but also be mindful of other parts of your application which can be used to strengthen your character. After all that if you still need more then it would be worth looking into masters but try to focus on SMPs. More info on that can be found in the postbac forum on this site.

Thank you so much for you response! In order to get to a 3.0 GPA, I would have to take 99 credits and get straight As in all of them. Which will take approx. 5.5 years if I took 18 credits a semester.

There has to be a better way to do this, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t hesitate to add DO programs into your medical school considerations given your GPA. DO schools are more lenient on students in your position when granting interviews, opting for a less numbers heavy application review. Certainly opt for the newer schools for either degree path. They are also lenient on numbers. Of course, don’t forget the EC’s. Very important for med school apps, MD or DO (particularly for DO). However, I will say that you have quite a hill to climb given your number of credit hours with a 2.4. You really need to be making A’s in everything you do. Don’t forget, the DPM degree is also an option for even lower GPA’s than MD/DO if you are interested in foot/ankle surgery. Good thing there is an MD/DO and DPM school up in Chicago! Although I know some of those MD schools in Chicago are crazy competitive (Northwestern U).

Last edited:
Don’t hesitate to add DO programs into your medical school considerations given your GPA. DO schools are more lenient on students in your position when granting interviews, opting for a less numbers heavy application review. Certainly opt for the newer schools for either degree path. They are also lenient on numbers. Of course, don’t forget the EC’s. Very important for med school app’s, MD or DO (particularly for DO). However, I wil say that you have quite a hill to climb given your number of credit hours with a 2.4. You really need to be making A’s in everything you do. Don’t forget, the DPM degree is also an option for even lower GPA’s than MD/DO if you are interested in foot/ankle surgery. Good thing there is an MD/DO and DPM school up in Chicago! Although I know some of those MD schools in Chicago are crazy competitive (Northwestern U).

Thank you for the advice! I'm certainly open to DO, DPM, PA at this point. Are there any medical schools (MD or DO) that consider the most recent GPA (last 30 credits, 60 credits, 90 credits, etc)? I feel even after all continuing my DIY postbacc, I would need a program like that.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice! I'm certainly open to DO, DPM, PA at this point. Are there any medical schools (MD 0r DO) that consider most recent GPA (last 30 credits, 60 credits, 90 credits, etc)? I feel even after all continuing my DIY postbacc, I would need a program like that.
It’s difficult to say. I’m definitely not the best source for a question like this. Perhaps @Goro may have some insight to provide to you. Although, I know that my school (ARCOM) is newer and is very open to students with a good story, motivations, and to those who have reinvented themselves academically. I would check it out if you are okay with the thought of moving down to Arkansas.

Thank you so much for you response! In order to get to a 3.0 GPA, I would have to take 99 credits and get straight As in all of them. Which will take approx. 5.5 years if I took 18 credits a semester.

There has to be a better way to do this, right?

Right, it's unfeasible to just take classes nonstop for 5.5 years. I am not an adcom, but if you can show a sustained period of academic excellence (~2 years or maybe more) that would be a big step towards assuaging doubts regarding your academic performance. Just as people can have a bad semester, you could also have a good semester, so doing a sustained period of good grades with a full-time schedule will show that the you of now is much more capable and ready than you of back then. Jumping from a C average to like an almost A average is a significant difference that will be noted.

GPA is huge but it is one dimension and you have the chance to further stand out with your MCAT and extracurriculars. Remember quality is better than quantity, so balance yourself as best you can with meaningful extracurriculars that you'll really be able to speak to. Looks much worse if it's obvious you joined stuff to just look good for the app. Get some clinical experience/shadowing if you haven't already.

It's a long and difficult road ahead of you and you'll be met with obstacles every step of the way, but I wish you the best of luck! You're not alone in this journey :)

Shout out to @Goro who is the master of knowing the schools that award reinvention. I recall him telling me a while back that USC is one of them. Not sure if that is still the case :)

I'm new and this is my first post here (although I've read several posts by many of you). I'm 24 years old and graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a BS in Biology in 2016. I finished with a horrendous GPA of 2.4 and 134 credit hours. (I'd failed and retook a few classes, but was mostly a C student). I did have personal circumstances due to which I didn't have the time or ability to dedicate 100% to school. I should've dropped my classes but that's another regret on growing list. I promise I'm smart, I was a good student in HS, had a good ACT score and had a scholarship to Loyola (which I later lost).

I took a year off after graduation and worked at Rush University Medical Center as an admin assistant in the Neurocritical Care department.

I've returned to school in fall 2017 and started taking upper level science courses and retook classes to get As and Bs in them and show upward grade trends. I'm still doing that now.

I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet.

At this point, I'm trying to look for any post-bacc, Masters, or MD programs that may eventually be possible for me.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?
Go and read my post on guide to reinvention

It’s difficult to say. I’m definitely not the best source for a question like this. Perhaps @Goro may have some insight to provide to you. Although, I know that my school (ARCOM) is newer and is very open to students with a good story, motivations, and to those who have reinvented themselves academically. I would check it out if you are okay with the thought of moving down to Arkansas.
I am open to moving anywhere. Thank you for the recommendation. I will check out their posts and see what they suggest.

Go and read my post on guide to reinvention

I will certainly check read it! Thank you for directing me to it.

I needed to see this thread today. I ended up with a 3.3 with my B.S. in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. I know that is not the same as 2.4, but I'm still fighting an uphill battle myself (my application is not too impressive in general yet). As others have said, this won't be a cake walk for you, but keep pushing and stay positive. There is hope.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm new and this is my first post here (although I've read several posts by many of you). I'm 24 years old and graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a BS in Biology in 2016. I finished with a horrendous GPA of 2.4 and 134 credit hours. (I'd failed and retook a few classes, but was mostly a C student). I did have personal circumstances due to which I didn't have the time or ability to dedicate 100% to school. I should've dropped my classes but that's another regret on growing list. I promise I'm smart, I was a good student in HS, had a good ACT score and had a scholarship to Loyola (which I later lost).

Keechu,

I am so glad to *virtually* meet another person on this site who has similar stats as me! I also graduated in 2016 with 2.48. Like you said, personal circumstances/family matters also prevented me from dedicating 100% of my time to academics. I knew this was going to be a long, hard path when I started and I don't plan on backing down anytime soon. I strongly believe that when we are as much an underdog as we may seem, we must work twice as hard as any of the other applicants in order to get to where we desire to be. In addition to working full-time at a clinical research firm over the past year and a half, I've also been taking/re-taking classes through local community colleges and volunteering at the local free clinic and running EMS with local agencies. I was also a scribe for ~10 months prior to this (which I highly recommend if you can find an open position). So far, I've been able to raise my cGPA to a 2.75 (which really isn't that great, but it's better than it was). I take the MCAT in May, and I plan on applying to a few SMPs after that. I may throw my hat into a few DO schools/low-tier MD schools just to see what happens, but I'm still debating. Maybe someone on this thread could advise??? I know it will ultimately depend on how I score on the MCAT, but curious to see what others think.

Anyways-I wish you the best of luck, friend! I rarely post and typically just read the threads, but I had to speak up for this one. Just keep working hard!

Keechu,

I am so glad to *virtually* meet another person on this site who has similar stats as me! I also graduated in 2016 with 2.48. Like you said, personal circumstances/family matters also prevented me from dedicating 100% of my time to academics. I knew this was going to be a long, hard path when I started and I don't plan on backing down anytime soon. I strongly believe that when we are as much an underdog as we may seem, we must work twice as hard as any of the other applicants in order to get to where we desire to be. In addition to working full-time at a clinical research firm over the past year and a half, I've also been taking/re-taking classes through local community colleges and volunteering at the local free clinic and running EMS with local agencies. I was also a scribe for ~10 months prior to this (which I highly recommend if you can find an open position). So far, I've been able to raise my cGPA to a 2.75 (which really isn't that great, but it's better than it was). I take the MCAT in May, and I plan on applying to a few SMPs after that. I may throw my hat into a few DO schools/low-tier MD schools just to see what happens, but I'm still debating. Maybe someone on this thread could advise??? I know it will ultimately depend on how I score on the MCAT, but curious to see what others think.

Anyways-I wish you the best of luck, friend! I rarely post and typically just read the threads, but I had to speak up for this one. Just keep working hard!

Hello, to you too! I was so hesitant to post here initially as no one had stats as low as me and I was sure people would laugh at my desire to pursue medicine when people much more qualified find it difficult. Its not good for us to have such low stats but I'm glad I now know someone else who's in the same boat as me. I live in Chicago and its very hard to find a job as a scribe or any other clinical position because many are taken. But, I've been accumulating volunteering hours at various hospitals and shadowing hours as well. I'm currently doing a DIY postbacc and plan to complete 42 credits with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Unfortunately, that'll only bring my cGPA to 2.5 ☹️.

I plan on taking the MCAT and doing well on it. But I'm going to be realistic and only apply to MD and DO schools that consider postbacc GPAs and review holistically. I obviously won't be applying to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UOC, etc.

Do you know any such programs? If anyone has a list, please let me know.

Keep hanging in there and lets keep in touch! If we work hard, we'll find fulfillment one day!

I would recommend a SMP, Georgetown has a really good one that I think would be a good fit for you! And definitely apply DO in addition to MD.

I would recommend a SMP, Georgetown has a really good one that I think would be a good fit for you! And definitely apply DO in addition to MD.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into Georgetown. Any other SMPs you can think of that consider postbacc GPA?

Hello,

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into Georgetown. Any other SMPs you can think of that consider postbacc GPA?
I'm currently applying to SMPs/Post bacs, so here's some that I'm considering applying to.
- Georgetown
- GW
- UPenn
- Temple
- Drexel
- Duke has one, but their deadline has already passed.

AAMC also has a really good list of all post bacs.

I'm currently applying to SMPs/Post bacs, so here's some that I'm considering applying to.
- Georgetown
- GW
- UPenn
- Temple
- Drexel
- Duke has one, but their deadline has already passed.

AAMC also has a really good list of all post bacs.

I'll look into those. AAMC has a good list but almost all of the schools require a cGPA of 2.75 or higher so I'm having a hard time finding one that'll consider my postbacc GPA instead.

I'll look into those. AAMC has a good list but almost all of the schools require a cGPA of 2.75 or higher so I'm having a hard time finding one that'll consider my postbacc GPA instead.
checkout LMU (Lincoln Memorial University) SMP in Biomedical Science. They guarantee and interview if you get a 3.0> fall semester. Also, they take preference to your science GPA (it's stated on the website).

Thank you for the advice! I'm certainly open to DO, DPM, PA at this point. Are there any medical schools (MD 0r DO) that consider most recent GPA (last 30 credits, 60 credits, 90 credits, etc)? I feel even after all continuing my DIY postbacc, I would need a program like that.
Louisiana does. After your bachelors is completed, they only factor the last 32 hours after that.

checkout LMU (Lincoln Memorial University) SMP in Biomedical Science. They guarantee and interview if you get a 3.0> fall semester. Also, they take preference to your science GPA (it's stated on the website).

I will definitely look into this! Thank you so much for the advice!

I know this thread was from a while ago, but I have to say something after seeing this post. I'm from the same school, year, similar gpa etc. Even similar post bacc gpa/credits. It feels like I posted this. Anyways, I'm pretty much in your position and I applied to william carey's mbs and LMU earlier this summer. I'm waiting to hear from LMU and got into WCU. As low as our gpas are, there are still options. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's a long road, but not impossible.

I know this thread was from a while ago, but I have to say something after seeing this post. I'm from the same school, year, similar gpa etc. Even similar post bacc gpa/credits. It feels like I posted this. Anyways, I'm pretty much in your position and I applied to william carey's mbs and LMU earlier this summer. I'm waiting to hear from LMU and got into WCU. As low as our gpas are, there are still options. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's a long road, but not impossible.

I will be attending LMU this fall! Moving in next week actually. You both can do this! Don't give up :)

I will be attending LMU this fall! Moving in next week actually. You both can do this! Don't give up :)

Congrats again!!! Remember to come back and tell us all about your life as a successful doctor person later :)

Hi mikeloyola,

I'm so glad you responded! What are the odds that we went to the same school, the same year and probably were in the same classes! I'm so happy things worked out for you and congratulations on your acceptance! I will look into both of the programs you mentioned. It gives me hope to see things worked out for a fellow LUC graduate. Let me know how the program works out for you. I'd love to keep in touch. I wish you the best of luck!

Congratulations!!! That's absolutely wonderful news, you are one step closer to becoming a physician. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.