May 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
When I apply, my overall GPA stats will be just around competitive (3.7 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA). Additionally, my ECs are quite solid - perhaps a little bit above average. However, my grades in the core science classes were pretty abysmal.

Ochem 1: B
Ochem 2: C
Ochem 1+2 Lab: B+
Physics 1: B
Physics 2: B
Physics 1+2 Lab: A+
Bio 1: A-
Bio 2: B
Bio 1+2 Lab: A
Gen Chem 1: A
Gen Chem 2: A
Gen Chem 1+2 Lab: A

Note: I tried to take Bio1, Chem1, and Physics1 first semester freshman year and withdrew from physics 1 to stay afloat. The above B is from the retake sophomore year.

As you can see, I got murdered by physics and ochem. I don't have any major explanations like a death in the family - I was simply learning how to prioritize as I took on more ECs and didn't adjust well that year.

Will this performance in the pre-reqs make schools ditch my application (I hear some calculate a GPA of only pre-req classes in addition to core/bcpm)?

I have A's in other bio classes (leading to the higher gpa listed at the top of the thread), but not in anything too crazy. Human physiology, Statistics, Ecology, etc.

Any thoughts?

Chipster.

Are you not entertained?
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2013
San DiFrangeles, California
Status
Medical Student
When I apply, my overall GPA stats will be just around competitive (3.7 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA). Additionally, my ECs are quite solid - perhaps a little bit above average. However, my grades in the core science classes were pretty abysmal.

Note: I tried to take Bio1, Chem1, and Physics1 first semester freshman year and withdrew from physics 1 to stay afloat. The above B is from the retake sophomore year.

As you can see, I got murdered by physics and ochem. I don't have any major explanations like a death in the family - I was simply learning how to prioritize as I took on more ECs and didn't adjust well that year.

Will this performance in the pre-reqs make schools ditch my application (I hear some calculate a GPA of only pre-req classes in addition to core/bcpm)?

I have A's in other bio classes (leading to the higher gpa listed at the top of the thread), but not in anything too crazy. Human physiology, Statistics, Ecology, etc.

Any thoughts?
Stahp.

OP
A
May 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you saying I'm being ridiculous about worrying about this? I just thought it might matter if it's true that some schools do calculate a just-prereq gpa (and maybe prescreen based on that), or just in general considering my sophomore BCPM gpa was 2.79 and I want to apply to only allopathic schools.

Ace Khalifa

I am the definition of awesomeness
Removed
Jun 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I have friends who are applying with way worse grades. Stop complaining about having a few B's and 1 C. As many have stated before, grades aren't everything.

Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Have you taken the MCAT yet? That would be my main concern at this point. Your grades are fine, but I'd make sure to study my ass off for the PS section. (not judging - I had a hard time in physics too. Even with A's in the classes, I still struggled a lot with that section of the MCAT). Your actual understanding of the material is more important than the B's in the classes, in my opinion.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Quit fussing, you're fine. Just apply strategically when the time comes.

Any thoughts?

chocolatethunder

5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2013
New York
Status
Pre-Medical

Any thoughts?
How is one C in a pre-req "horrible"?

Tawantinsuyu

Removed
Jan 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Any thoughts?

Wtf. How do you have a 3.7 with those grades? I'm not kidding. I have a few B's right now, no C's, but my GPA is like below a 3.5. I don't get it. How is your GPA so high???????? Did you take a crapload of extra liberal arts classes or something??? How is your GPA that high.

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wtf. How do you have a 3.7 with those grades? I'm not kidding. I have a few B's right now, no C's, but my GPA is like below a 3.5. I don't get it. How is your GPA so high???????? Did you take a crapload of extra liberal arts classes or something??? How is your GPA that high.
3.5 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA. He's taken more credits than you have. Assuming just the pre-reqs are his only sciences, that comes out to a 3.5 sGPA by itself, not to mention math and any other science courses he took.

Tawantinsuyu

Removed
Jan 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
3.5 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA. He's taken more credits than you have. Assuming just the pre-reqs are his only sciences, that comes out to a 3.5 sGPA by itself, not to mention math and any other science courses he took.
Oh, but aren't most credits that pre med students take in the sciences?

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh, but aren't most credits that pre med students take in the sciences?
Not every college has a "pre-med" major. If they are a science major, their classes will be in the sciences. If they are a different major they'll be in something else. Even so, OP had other science classes that bring up their sGPA.

moop

1K Member
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 15, 2013

Any thoughts?
We don't have adequate information to judge you yet. If you regurgitate the rest of your transcript for us, we could help a little more.