Horrible Story Of African-American Doctor Terminated From Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PathDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Fri., November 01, 2019
Juliana Anyanwu has only ever wanted to be a doctor. As a child in Nigeria, Anyanwu spent a lot of time in hospitals for her allergies. One of the doctors listened to her in a way that made her feel seen and understood.
In 2011, the family moved to Cedar Rapids for her husband’s job. Anyanwu shadowed local doctors and was accepted into the residency program at the Cedar Rapids Medical Education Foundation.
Her time in the residency, however, was brief and horrible. Anyanwu told me that she was required to work longer hours than allowed under the rules determined by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. One doctor asked her who watched her children while she was away. Another, her mentor, said she looked like “she’d been pulled in off the streets” — a racist inference to the ghetto.
Three months in, she was allegedly fired for cause, and was not given information about mediation. (None of the doctors Anyanwu worked with returned multiple requests for comment.)

Members don't see this ad.

Fri., November 01, 2019
Juliana Anyanwu has only ever wanted to be a doctor. As a child in Nigeria, Anyanwu spent a lot of time in hospitals for her allergies. One of the doctors listened to her in a way that made her feel seen and understood.
In 2011, the family moved to Cedar Rapids for her husband’s job. Anyanwu shadowed local doctors and was accepted into the residency program at the Cedar Rapids Medical Education Foundation.
Her time in the residency, however, was brief and horrible. Anyanwu told me that she was required to work longer hours than allowed under the rules determined by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. One doctor asked her who watched her children while she was away. Another, her mentor, said she looked like “she’d been pulled in off the streets” — a racist inference to the ghetto.
Three months in, she was allegedly fired for cause, and was not given information about mediation. (None of the doctors Anyanwu worked with returned multiple requests for comment.)
I’m not seeing anything showing it was a racially connected dismissal, why is that the title?

Reactions: 1 user
What a horribly written article. I understand you're passionate about this topic, but articles like this, so poorly written with zero information about her circumstances, do nothing to further your cause.

Also, where I did residency, we used to joke all the time that at the end of a 24-hour shift, we looked like we'd been pulled in off the street, and we were mainly Caucasian. I don't see that as a racist statement.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not seeing anything showing it was a racially connected dismissal, why is that the title?
Stirring the pot...

She has a masters degree and decides instead of trying to get a job with that at, say , a different hospital, to mop floors at the hospital that dismissed her...

Last edited:
What a horribly written article. I understand you're passionate about this topic, but articles like this, so poorly written with zero information about her circumstances, do nothing to further your cause.

Also, where I did residency, we used to joke all the time that at the end of a 24-hour shift, we looked like we'd been pulled in off the street, and we were mainly Caucasian. I don't see that as a racist statement.
I’ve been told I look homeless on more than one occasion

Agreed. The article is written very poorly and it does not in any way shape or form descriptive of any racial statements that this resident suffered. I had it much much worse in residency - and most of us work more than 80 hours a week during some stretches so that's not uncommon. I was given initially more call than all of my classmates and had to complain that it was completely uneven (chief at the time told me - it doesn't have to be even)and it wasn't until I complained and he realized how unbalanced the schedule was that he changed it. My schedule was changed multiple times in order to benefit upper levels, and I was given a much worse schedule, yet when I was an upper level, I was given yet another month of nightfloat! to benefit a second year, who was given my chill rotation, which Inever got to do when everyone else in my class did. Some of the junior residents were completely off too during this time of the nightfloat month, but the PD said no too many people would be unhappy if we made everyone share the month of nightfloat (which had been done two years ago when someone else quit!). I was bullied for being "too quiet" and had to talk to my "mentor" because one of the nurses said that my pants were "wrinkled" -I was told that I would have to "fake it" in terms of personality and not be so quiet. I was frequently given more patients than my fellow residents. I was the only one whose requests for rotations weren't honored yet all my classmates did. Yes I am a minority, I think a lot of the timesthings like this happen because people are jerks not so much because of "racism." Obviously I complained until I was blue in the face as did others of other stuff and two of my main tormentors got punished - one of the attendings got removed immediately from all resident contact, the PD eventually stepped down, and the chair was removed from some duties.

I thought about suing, but suing a program has such low likelihood of winning that's not even worth it. it;s a bunch of he said she said and it's soooo hard to prove.

for this resident, if an attending asks you who takes care of ur children,not the end of the world. And it's preposterous that she would mop floors at the same hospital - she can certainly practice in her native country, or she can choose to apply again for the match, like numerous people have to do.

The article is super duper biased - we have no idea what the reason for her firing is.

And she is a Fogarty fellow so no need for her to mop floors.

Status
Not open for further replies.