Horrible way to end your career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enfuegoEP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before our lecture last week a registered nurse anesthestist was brought in by EMS in respiratory arrest. Someone found her on her couch and next to her on her coffee table was fentanyl and versed. What's worse about the whole thing is that she works in our hospital. People recognized her in the ED. She's only been out of training for a year. My attending said what usually happens is that they withhold the drugs from patients, pocket them, and the drugs get accounted for with whatever system the gas people use. That sucks for the patient first, and the CRNA second :(

Members don't see this ad.

Before our lecture last week a registered nurse anesthestist was brought in by EMS in respiratory arrest. Someone found her on her couch and next to her on her coffee table was fentanyl and versed. What's worse about the whole thing is that she works in our hospital. People recognized her in the ED. She's only been out of training for a year. My attending said what usually happens is that they withhold the drugs from patients, pocket them, and the drugs get accounted for with whatever system the gas people use. That sucks for the patient first, and the CRNA second :(

Probably the two specialties most at risk for addiction and it's consequences are anesthesia and EM. The consequences are death or jail. Over 25 years, we've had 4 identified. Two are dead. Right after a physician is told he will never practice because of his continuing addiction he may kill himself.

If you're thinking about getting high or just taking a little upper to get through the night shift . . .Do NOT. Get help instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably the two specialties most at risk for addiction and it's consequences are anesthesia and EM. The consequences are death or jail. Over 25 years, we've had 4 identified. Two are dead. Right after a physician is told he will never practice because of his continuing addiction he may kill himself.

If you're thinking about getting high or just taking a little upper to get through the night shift . . .Do NOT. Get help instead.

I personally think this is the best advice a person can give. I've seen addictions happen just because of "just this one time."

What a horrible story. I was witness to a similar event as a premed working in the ED. In this case the RN survived and then suffered the humiliation of the 'nurse recovery' program and demotion.

That's how my mother died. She was a CRNA and OD'ed on meds.

Reminds me of the time on my 3rd yr OB/GYN rotation when the PA on our service was caught on video surveillance camera running to his car with our missing fentanyl drip tucked away in his coat.

Jail and or death are not the only outcomes available to you if you are addicted.

If you are having touble with addiction- drugs or alcohol- there are programs to help physicians through it. Yes, you maybe restricted. Yes, you may have people looking over your shoulder for an indefinate time. But both of these things are much preferable to death and jail. Contact your own physician or program director or the state medical board (get a lawyer first if you go directly to the state). You can get help!

Over the last decade or so I have encountered no less than 10 MDs/CRNAs that were addicted to one drug: fentanyl. Several are dead and most of the rest of them are practicing with restricted licenses or doing disability physicals.

It is a very, very sad state of affairs, as most of them were above average practicioners. Stress and availability seem to be the common denominators in all of the cases I've seen. One of the dead ones was a friend of mine and I hope to god that I don't see another case, but I know I will.

For some reason, I thought I heard they were trying to not use fentanyl as much anymore for this reason. Is this not true?

Wackie, sorry to hear about your mom too. I kept meaning to add that, but of course kept forgetting.

For some reason, I thought I heard they were trying to not use fentanyl as much anymore for this reason. Is this not true?

Isn't fentanyl undetctable? That's why it's the DOC.

Wackie, that's so terrible. so, so sorry to hear about your mom. hopefully you've made some peace with her and if anything can help you become a better physician, especially in EM, that will.

both of my parents are drug addicts (which is why i was raised by my grandparents). the idea of drug abuse in this field terrifies me because i feel like the gun is loaded and pointed at my head. but sometimes knowing that it is there makes one better equipped to fend it off.

I meant aren't they trying to use it less in the hospitals now because of this known risk? I thought I heard this somewhere, but can't remember where.

I have heard a bunch of stuff related to this recently. We had an icu nurse that placed heplock in her ankle and would load up in the bathroom until she got caught.

One of our nurses who works at an outside facility said just last week they busted one of their docs for doing coke.

I know we are in a stressful totally loony job but there have to be better ways to cope. I am fortunate I come home I see a beautiful pregnant wife, 2 loving and manic dogs and I remember how lucky I am to have what I have.

My parents came to this country with nothing but me. No knowledge of English, no college degrees, nothing. I have so much already, for this I am thankful.

In less than 4 weeks my wife will give me the greatest (and loudest) gift of all. I just hope all this great stuff keeps on rolling.

Of course my life is filled with tremendous stress but the good is so much more than the bad.

Sorry to those with sad experiences. I have always avoided drugs as they have nothing but the potential to ruin all my parents have sacrificed and all I have worked so hard for!

No drug is "undetectable"...you just have to look harder to find some drugs than others. Many common urine assays for opioids often misses the synthetic drugs at the typical dose (oxycodone, fentanyl, etc) as opposed to the "natural" narcotic morphine.

Fentanyl is not being phased out or restricted as some above suggest. You may have fentanyl confused with demerol (meperidine) which has been phased out of many hospital formularies for a variety of reasons. The top three are that the euphoria many users experience with this medication make it a perennial favorite of drug seekers and its metabolites (chiefly normeperidine, which can lower the seizure threshhold) have a long half life causing accumulation with repeat dosing. And, meperidine has some seritonergic effect, so this can precipitate serotonin syndrome in those at risk. Word seems to have gotten around that demerol has gone by the wayside, so people rarely ask for it anymore.