Horribly Unbalanced MCAT (14P/8V/15B)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangeTub

Tub of Oranges
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed details for application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I say definitely DONT retake. I don't think that 8 verbal is gonna hold you back from many places with a 37 composite. Amazing job!!:thumbup:

Omg - I have the exact same breakdown, lol. I took the April MCAT. 14/8/15 here too. I have given it a lot of thought because I, also, was averaging 10-11s on VR. I have talked to A LOT of people about this (adcoms included), and the general consensus is...DO NOT RETAKE. The 14 and 15 is such a rare and amazing combination that the 8 VR will be overlooked. The ONLY rationale that justifies retaking is 1) if your GPA is <3.5 AND 2) you are shooting for the top 10 schools.

Also, look at the data. of the people who retake, 44% will score lower, 12% will break even, and 44% will score higher. These are terrible odds. DON'T DO IT. lol. Though i totally understand your wanting to retake.

If 56% of the people will do better or at worst break even how are those terrible odds?

Members don't see this ad :)
If 56% of the people will do better or at worst break even how are those terrible odds?

The odds are even worse for the OP because he is scoring at the upper range of MCAT scores.

Most people who are retaking are scoring <30. A lot more room for improvement there.

No point of retaking unless you are going for top schools like johns hopkins/harvard..

Do not retake. That is an absolutely fantastic score and will not prevent you from getting into an MD school.

44% chance of success is terrible considering risk/benefit. Considering your score is that high, your chances of improving are minimal at best, and, the cost of scoring lower is much greater than the benefit of scoring higher.

Scoring 14 and 15 on the sciences is a LOT of skill plus a little bit of luck. That little bit of luck can make the difference and cause a drop in that score.

Just pick a specialty where you don't have to talk to people. #joke

There are no "verbal cutoffs." Committee's certainly usually have an MCAT cutoff but not for individual scores. Your score is competitive and you should be able to get into those schools. For the interview, you can prepare an answer for the verbal section but I doubt it will come up.