1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Horribly Unbalanced MCAT (14P/8V/15B)

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by OrangeTub, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. OrangeTub

OrangeTub Tub of Oranges 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Removed details for application cycle.

Last edited: 07.02.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bambam92

bambam92 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I say definitely DONT retake. I don't think that 8 verbal is gonna hold you back from many places with a 37 composite. Amazing job!!:thumbup:

4. benjaminl1nus

benjaminl1nus Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Omg - I have the exact same breakdown, lol. I took the April MCAT. 14/8/15 here too. I have given it a lot of thought because I, also, was averaging 10-11s on VR. I have talked to A LOT of people about this (adcoms included), and the general consensus is...DO NOT RETAKE. The 14 and 15 is such a rare and amazing combination that the 8 VR will be overlooked. The ONLY rationale that justifies retaking is 1) if your GPA is <3.5 AND 2) you are shooting for the top 10 schools.

Also, look at the data. of the people who retake, 44% will score lower, 12% will break even, and 44% will score higher. These are terrible odds. DON'T DO IT. lol. Though i totally understand your wanting to retake.

5. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If 56% of the people will do better or at worst break even how are those terrible odds?

6. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

The odds are even worse for the OP because he is scoring at the upper range of MCAT scores.

Most people who are retaking are scoring <30. A lot more room for improvement there.

7. brood910

brood910 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No point of retaking unless you are going for top schools like johns hopkins/harvard..

8. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Do not retake. That is an absolutely fantastic score and will not prevent you from getting into an MD school.

9. OrangeTub

OrangeTub Tub of Oranges 2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Last edited: 07.02.15
  10. benjaminl1nus

benjaminl1nus Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    44% chance of success is terrible considering risk/benefit. Considering your score is that high, your chances of improving are minimal at best, and, the cost of scoring lower is much greater than the benefit of scoring higher.

Scoring 14 and 15 on the sciences is a LOT of skill plus a little bit of luck. That little bit of luck can make the difference and cause a drop in that score.

11. valkener

valkener 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just pick a specialty where you don't have to talk to people. #joke

There are no "verbal cutoffs." Committee's certainly usually have an MCAT cutoff but not for individual scores. Your score is competitive and you should be able to get into those schools. For the interview, you can prepare an answer for the verbal section but I doubt it will come up.

12. popopopop

popopopop 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Ok, enough studentdoctor for me today....

Ailleurs and benjaminl1nus like this.

About the ads