Horrific Interview Debacle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chessodoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am interviewing at school X, and its going fine. The interviewer seems interested, laughs and etc...We finally reach the end of the interview and he asks me what I like about school X. So I describe I like this and that, location and curriculum and then I blurt out but school Y is my top choice :smack::bang::diebanana::boom:...and then I say why, and then I say why it may not be, and then I try to list the advantages school X has over school Y. Problem is....I actually liked schools X . Did I absolutely ruin my chances? I actually asked him whether I hurt my chances by saying that, and he said "nooo, don't worry about it".

Do I = screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am interviewing at school X, and its going fine. The interviewer seems interested, laughs and etc...We finally reach the end of the interview and he asks me what I like about school X. So I describe I like this and that, location and curriculum and then I blurt out but school Y is my top choice :smack::bang::diebanana::boom:...and then I say why, and then I say why it may not be, and then I try to list the advantages school X has over school Y. Problem is....I actually liked schools X . Did I absolutely ruin my chances? I actually asked him whether I hurt my chances by saying that, and he said "nooo, don't worry about it".

Do I = screwed?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry but you have to admit it would be funny if you heard about someone else doing it. Don't beat yourself up too badly, its just the pressure of interviewing... I mean, you walk in on SAFE mode, making sure to think 3 times before you say something then you gradually let yourself relax as the interview goes smoothly and BAM! ((c) 2009 John Madden) towards the end you let your guard down too much and say something you regret and you realize it but by then its too late

Members don't see this ad :)
well...it probably wasn't the best thing you could have said, but we all look back on interviews and think about how much better we could have done. moral of the story= theres nothing you can do about it now, just try to forget about it (easier said than done)! ;)

You made a mistake, and it may very well hurt your application. I wouldn't say that you completely ruined your chances of being offered an acceptance, however, especially since most adcoms recognize that the majority of their applicants apply to multiple schools. One way that you could remedy the situation (or at a bare minimum make yourself feel better) is to send in letters of interest/intent reaffirming your interest in the school. You might write that your experiences during the interview day led you to declare that this particular school is your new first choice. Whatever you choose to do, your writing should convey that you were mistaken when you stated that "school Y" was your top choice. You're human, after all, and the adcoms know that.

Easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry too much about it; what's done is done.

Do I = screwed?
I spent 20 minutes of one interview talking about my top choice school (which was not the school I was interviewing at) and I still got in. So don't fret it.

I really doubt you killed your app. there.

One thing I wouldn't do in the future though, is if you do mess up in the interview, don't ask if it "hurt your chances." I've read a few places that that's something to definitely not do during or after an interview.

One thing I wouldn't do in the future though, is if you do mess up in the interview, don't ask if it "hurt your chances." I've read a few places that that's something to definitely not do during or after an interview.
That's exactly what I was thinking...

Your interviewer may not have even registered that comment as problematic until YOU associated it with negatively impacting your chances of admission. Don't go meta in interviews, just keep playing the game.

Last edited:
I think if you represented yourself honastly, and they got the true picture of who you are - which may include your thoughts on other schools - then the decision they make will be the right one.

Thats simple, but I think its really the best way to look at it. You were honast, they probably reconized that, and they will make their decision. Its your job to represent yourself accurately and honastly, and their job to decide based on that. Sounds like you did your job.

I think if you represented yourself honastly, and they got the true picture of who you are - which may include your thoughts on other schools - then the decision they make will be the right one.

Thats simple, but I think its really the best way to look at it. You were honast, they probably reconized that, and they will make their decision. Its your job to represent yourself accurately and honastly, and their job to decide based on that. Sounds like you did your job.

"e"

Do I = screwed?

:eek: what were you thinking??

however, if you do get in and do matriculate there, you will have one heck of a story :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
it's not the best thing you could have done, and i wouldnt recommend trying that again.

there really isnt any point in stressing over it at this juncture. you cant do anything about it. just hope they consider your app by its merits.

Dude, you're so screwed! HAHAHA

Seriously, everyone else is right. Bad move, but it didn't tank your application. Schools do in a way compete for students, and adcoms probably aren't suprised their particular school isn't everyone's top choice. Just watch yourself next time ;)

Props to me for honesty? Maybe? I mean...if it was the top choice school for all the people they accepted, then their class would be twice the size its supposed to be right? :oops:

Hey man - I give you props for honasty. Just represent yourself - thats how I look at it. The best outcomes I've had in job/school apps and the like come when I represent myself honastly. If you think you went outside what you wanted to, then ok - but if its the right place that values your sincerity - then it will work out. They are the ones who live and work there - they know who will be a good fit there. Heck, they may have a better idea about your fit at your first choice than you do. If that school is meant to be, than you'l be accepted - if, not than it wasnt the right place for you. Thats my take. :thumbup:

Hey man - I give you props for honasty. Just represent yourself - thats how I look at it. The best outcomes I've had in job/school apps and the like come when I represent myself honastly. If you think you went outside what you wanted to, then ok - but if its the right place that values your sincerity - then it will work out. They are the ones who live and work there - they know who will be a good fit there. Heck, they may have a better idea about your fit at your first choice than you do. If that school is meant to be, than you'l be accepted - if, not than it wasnt the right place for you. Thats my take. :thumbup:
Are you kidding or do 2 people on this thread not know how to spell honestly?

Just 1. Only half as bad as you think.

I spent 20 minutes of one interview talking about my top choice school (which was not the school I was interviewing at) and I still got in. So don't fret it.
Yes, but look at your stats too, lol... You have almost perfect stats, the highest I have seen!

No, you shouldn't have said that.

No, I don't think you are "totally screwed" but what you said is unlikely to help. You need to learn how to interview...you don't have to answer all their questions...can redirect them if they are trying to pin you down on specifically where you want to go and it isn't THEIR school. Or you can just not tell the truth. They shouldn't be asking you that question anyway, IMHO.

You made a mistake, and it may very well hurt your application. I wouldn't say that you completely ruined your chances of being offered an acceptance, however, especially since most adcoms recognize that the majority of their applicants apply to multiple schools. One way that you could remedy the situation (or at a bare minimum make yourself feel better) is to send in letters of interest/intent reaffirming your interest in the school. You might write that your experiences during the interview day led you to declare that this particular school is your new first choice. Whatever you choose to do, your writing should convey that you were mistaken when you stated that "school Y" was your top choice. You're human, after all, and the adcoms know that.

Easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry too much about it; what's done is done.

Yeah, we all have these moments, I wouldn't sweat it. I agree with Greonis' advice that you might consider a letter of intent, reaffirming your interest in school X. However, I wouldn't rehash that you were "mistaken when you stated that school Y was your top choice." At this point, I'd be through discussing School Y. ;) Finesse it. Like a good doc does when he finds your vocal chords and rams the ETT into your trachea!!! :xf: Now, speaking of chords and honesty, honasty and honestly, I'm going to listen to Billy Joel's, "Honesty" on Itunes. I am non-trad after all.

Continued success all!
D712