Horses and Vet School and what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyndaelyzoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted here before, but would like to get some recent feedback about owning a horse and going to vet school. Is it possible? Do vet schools that have equine programs allow students to board personal horses on school campus or near vet hospital? I guess it probably depends on the school, but is it even possible to have the best of both worlds. Right now, I do not have a horse nor am I in vet school, but am currently looking to buy a horse and will be applying to vet school this year. Is this even possible or am I dreaming? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but I also am wondering if students have done the 'owning horse while in vet school' thing. From speaking to others I know some make the time to care for dogs, but I haven't heard of anyone who has a horse.

I currently own a horse and a dog. My dog will be going with me, no question about that, and I'm assuming that I need to find a temporary home for my horse for 4 years. But I'm starting to wonder if a) I could support a horse on loans, and b) have the time to care for him.

To the OP, the only help I am for you is to say that I'm pretty certain no vet school offers boarding. You'd have to find a local boarding place. I could be wrong - but the vet school is a hospital, not a recreational barn.

I currently own a horse (and a mini) - bought them 10 yrs ago. Over the past 3 years while in school FT working on my BS, I have had very little time for my guys. I still see them daily (I board at a facility that's within 2 miles of my home). However, my riding days have been extremely limited. I can only imagine that this will get worse once I start school this fall.
I personally would not purchase a horse now, and would perhaps consider leasing one instead. (There's less of a commitment, both financially and 'emotionally'). However, I've had these 2 horses for so long that I cannot imagine getting rid of them. When I bought them, I saw it as a lifetime commitment. I have been considering the option of finding someone to lease or partial-lease the one (to help with expenses, and to try to keep him 'fit'.) We'll see what happens once I start vet school!
just my personal experience!
best of luck with it all!

(I also have 5 cats, a dog, and Moluccan cockatoo, a Goffin cockatoo, and a 31 yr old Amazon!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a horse. I had 2 until this past sumer. I used to barrel race quit alot and competitively but I just dont have time to exercise my horses everyday and barrrel race on the weekends soe one had to go. As far as in vet school, I assume the time will be limited. I dont know about alot fo schools but I do know UF has a horse teaching facility that has horses but I don't think thet have horse boarding for students. I think you will probably have to find outside barns or facilities to borad you horse at. Good luck

I have several classmates that have horses while in vet school. I don't believe that you can board them at the school. There are some area barns that offer an apartment on the grounds if you are willing to help care for the boarded horses. I know the girls in my class don't get to go out with their horses as often as they would like but it is very possible to have them. You just need to find a boarding facility in the area on your own.

UC Davis has a student Equestrian Center that is VERY close (within walking distance) of the vet med buildings. It used to be open to the public for boarding but a lot has changed there over the last three years, including a huge renovation of most of the facilities (which were pretty awful, sorry, but they were...) so now there are some really nice stalls and a HUGE covered arena.

I believe the new UCD EQC policy is that only students can board at the barn, I believe this includes vet students but you never know with them, they tend to change policies randomly...and its definitely worth calling ahead to get on a wait list or reserve a stall a month or two in advance. Rates are very reasonable, and there are also a large number of boarding barns within a 10-20 minute drive, some of them quite nice, though nothing really "A" circuit if you're into that lifestyle.

If you need something more upscale, Kelly Van Vleck has a barn at Rancho Murietta which is not too terribly far, I would def reccomend her if you had a show horse you wanted to board with a trainer nearby. Also Rudy Leone's sale barn is about 20-30 mins away in Sacramento. I know several undergrads who rode at Rudy's through the years there, don't know what the arrangement was but they did get to ride a lot of big jumpers!

If anyone needs more info on boarding/training in the Davis area just let me know... I'm happy to help out, and there are definitely a couple people you should AVOID, so feel free to pm me!

Just from what I am hearing...I would say if you don't have a horse and want to ride now, lease. May be better for both you and the horse in another year.

I have several classmates that have horses while in vet school. I don't believe that you can board them at the school. There are some area barns that offer an apartment on the grounds if you are willing to help care for the boarded horses. I know the girls in my class don't get to go out with their horses as often as they would like but it is very possible to have them. You just need to find a boarding facility in the area on your own.

Thank you (even though I know it wasn't meant for me! ;)) This is the first I've heard of vet students actually having horses in vet school.

I was talking to a student at Western who has a horse and she found a lease house with a pasture, and although not everyone gets so lucky she recommended contacting a stable nearby to get a feel to where horse friendly areas are/possible lower cost boarding(stall or pasture).

Just my two cents: I am leasing a horse while in vet school and it has been a life saver. I usually find time to ride 4-6 times a week. I just have to stick to a very strict schedule. I go right after classes because I'm brain dead anyway, and only have 1.5 hours. Then I give myself a half hour to eat and then go to the library for the rest of the night. I find I focus a lot better after I've been riding. I can't go straight to the library right after class because I'm just too tired mentally so going riding for a little while recharges my batteries. I'm not the only person in my class who rides/has a horse during school so it is possible! I just tell myself that the 1.5 hours of riding is 1.5 less hours of TV/goofing off time I have (because there's so much of that anyway. :)) but it's worth it to me. I just have to be very disciplined and manage my time well. It's been working so far. For anyone coming to KSU, I know some barns in the area if interested.

Last edited:
Someone here has a horse in vet school (I'm sure there are several, but this someone that I know personally) and it got sick recently... even with the reduced cost of care as a vet student, I can't imagine it being very cheap.... you would need to be sure that you could AFFORD a horse, as well. Just a thought.

Here in pullman, you can board a horse for around $300-$350 (and certainly more, depending on the place). But why in god's name would you do that if you don't already have a horse that you need to make accomodations for? You have to remember that unless you have a rich family member or are independantly wealthy, you're going to be using loans to pay that. At 6% interest compounded over 30 years it's insanity. Also, as mentioned by twelvetigers, vetting is still really expensive even with discounts.

A lot of gals here have horses (they had them well before school which is of course a different story) and many are willing to let you half lease or even ride when you want. I know spending enough time with their buddies is a huge issue so if you don't already have a horse, don't buy one. You'll have plenty of opportunities to get your fix through friends and leasing if you want! just my $0.02.

good to hear the input...I think my biggest dilemma has been what to do with my horses while at vet school..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all of the suggestions!!! I guess that it is insane that I would even consider buying a horse now when I will be applying to vet school this year. I will definitely consider leasing one and waiting to buy one after vet school (that is, of course, assuming that I get in!!!).

If we happened to end up at the same school you could half-lease mine! I am dead set on taking my horse with me. I've had her since she was a baby (since she was nothing more than a fertilized egg really), she's turning 5 this year and she is basically the part of my life that keeps me sane. I will gladly trade a cheaper living situation for myself, reduced "free time" in vet school, more loans, etc, to keep her.

For others who are already horse owners, something to consider may be not only looking to your fellow vet students for potential leases but also to undergrads who might be around. Several of the vet schools are associated with/on practically the same campus as their undergrad counterparts, and many of them have IHSA/IDA/NCAA teams and lots of horse crazy people. Depending on where I end up I would consider looking into those teams to see if the team itself or a particular member would be interested in a lease.

Most of the people here who have horses have their own land instead of boarding. They usually have family (spouse or parents) that helps care for the horses. Also, there are usually several places for rent that have stable and pasture on the property and generally doesn't cost much more than a rental without land. There's lots of boarding available, but I don't know of anyone who actually boards their horses. One nice thing about Stillwater is you can live in the "country" and still be within 20 minutes of campus.

I will gladly trade a cheaper living situation for myself, reduced "free time" in vet school, more loans, etc, to keep her.

I was shadowing a recent grad (when I talked to her it was about a month after she'd graduated) and she basically reaffirmed what stick91 says. For her, keeping her 2 horses and staying competitive (although not as active in competition as before, of course) wasn't a sacrifice, but a lifesaver in vet school. It all depends on whether it's worth it - and if riding makes you happier/destresses you more than other things you could do with your time, then it's worth it.

Although, have you ever owned a horse before? It's very different than just leasing or riding. It's a HUGE time commitment. If it's worth it, it's worth it - but everyone I know who had a horse in vet school had had said horse for longer than a year beforehand. Not saying you don't know what you're getting yourself into and haven't done your research, just putting it out there.

good to hear the input...I think my biggest dilemma has been what to do with my horses while at vet school..

I agree, this is a good thread. I think I've decided to go without my horse for at least the first semester until I get my feet wet and figure out the money and time situation. I currently board him w/ self care but I have a few places that will take him while I'm in school for free - try asking your horsey friends if they would take them, or maybe a local lesson program. Then I'll bring him later if I think I can handle it. My guy is getting older, so I really don't want to go 4 years without him. :(

My two cents. I have 2 horses (one of which I've had for +11 years). I'm currently a graduate student and since I live in a small 1 bedroom apt with my boyfriend, my stipend covers the cost of living for me and my horses. I'd rather live a little tight and have them around because they make me really happy. I also like to destress by riding/being with my horses, so for me it's worthwhile to factor my horses into my budget.
That said, being rational I don't think buying a horse just before vet school is a great idea (like others have mentioned, I'm sure you'll be able to find a horse to ride)-BUT lets be honest, there are always reasons to not be so rational...the final decision is, obviously, yours. Good luck!

I think that's an excellent idea. I was very involved with a therapeutic riding facility for 6 years. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the horses are very valued and they seem to really enjoy and understand what they're doing. Keep in mind that they aren't always children though - adults have handicaps just as much as children do. It takes a special horse to be a therapeutic horse, and they'll probably run her through some tests first. Even if she doesn't pass, though, there's always a 'normal' lesson program.

I don't think my trailer would make it from PA to Iowa, either - 15 hours! Shipping co.'s are expensive. Why can't they just fit in the backseat like a dog????

I have 2 horses, but they are at home (14 hours away) with my parents. My parents are not really horse people but are taking care of them for me (I'm very grateful for that!) They have a great set up at home and I know I would not have much time to ride/ take care of them while I am in school. I have had them for 10+ years so selling them was not an option at all. If I didn't have my parents to take such great care of them, I would have finagled something to bring them to school with me. I know it would mean that I spend less time with clubs/ meetings/ at the equine clinic at school watching emergencies , etc.