Hospice - Repeat ESI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

72 y/o with h/o LSS responded well to L5-S1 IESI. Now on hospice for abdominal CA. Repeat ESI?

• Repeat ESI

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Repeat ESI only with updated L/S imaging

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No intervention

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

NOSfan

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
72 y/o with h/o LSS responded well to L5-S1 IESI x 2 years. Previous L/S MRI showed LSS at L4-L5. Now on hospice for esophageal CA.

No abdominal pain but LBP described similar to before with a neurogenic claudication component. Requests repeat ESI.

What do you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a new MRI. Logically one could do a caudal ESI and get away with it but you are needlessly opening yourself up to litigation without a new MRI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Palliative care. Repeat ESI. No additional workup as it would not change care.
If there are mets in the spine at L5S1 would you proceed with a L5S1 IL ESI? I would not. If there was significant bleeding and a hematoma formed causing leg weakness you are stuck legally (as is the patient literally).

on hospice. he is going to die, and most likely within 3 months.

if you want, and probably overkill, at most get a screening xray to make sure you don't see a lytic lesion at where you are going to do an injection, but you are talking end of life care.

make him feel better. don't delay care to get an MRI scan, lie in a scanner for over an hour because you are not going to do anything different with the information.

Reactions: 5 users
If there are mets in the spine at L5S1 would you proceed with a L5S1 IL ESI? I would not. If there was significant bleeding and a hematoma formed causing leg weakness you are stuck legally (as is the patient literally).
Yes. I would. If esi fails, palliative xrt can be done if mets show.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, would yall up that Depo to 120mg or just do 80mg?

72 y/o with h/o LSS responded well to L5-S1 IESI x 2 years. Previous L/S MRI showed LSS at L4-L5. Now on hospice for esophageal CA.

No abdominal pain but LBP described similar to before with a neurogenic claudication component. Requests repeat ESI.

What do you do?

If they're carving this out of the hospice benefit, proceed as you normally would. I agree the MRI is not critical as probability-wise, esophageal cancer does not commonly spread to the lumbar spine.

If they're putting this under the hospice benefit, and assuming it's at home hospice, I would do this landmark guided in the clinic to minimize costs.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a patient in hospice and they wouldn’t allow him to get “treatment”. It was end-of-life care and they said active treatment means booted from hospice. Seemed weird but I stayed away from hospice patients since then. If allowed, inject him. There isn’t a good reason not to.

I had a patient in hospice and they wouldn’t allow him to get “treatment”. It was end-of-life care and they said active treatment means booted from hospice. Seemed weird but I stayed away from hospice patients since then. If allowed, inject him. There isn’t a good reason not to.
Yeah, it's the structure of the hospice benefit. In this case, you need to clarify that this is not related to the hospice diagnosis (esophageal cancer). Regardless, a patient can opt out of hospice and re-engage later if desired, although not necessarily with the same hospice agency.

1609248894502.png

No analgesic benefit but 120mg of depo is going to give him some pep, vim and vigor in his last days. Might be reasonable if he is not already on oral steroids.
Just give him/her ritalin instead. It'll last longer.

Let them smoke weed.