Hospice volunteering (longish post...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY Musicologist

Career Changer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing from those of you with hospice volunteer experience--I've searched the forums and found isolated instances of feedback, but not an entire thread on the pros/cons/challenges of hospice work as a medical EC...

My situation: I'm a potential career-changer who has done much reading about medicine but who has (as yet) no actual experience with it, save for my annual physicals. :) I'm ready to start getting my feet wet by volunteering. At this point, I'm less concerned about building an attractive AMCAS than I am about just gaining familiarity with the world of health care and whether or not it's really something that I want to pursue. Since my time is limited (a few hours a week), I can't take on multiple commitments at this time as some people do (e.g., volunteering in two different hospital departments, shadowing docs, etc.). I want to commit to one opportunity that will give me a good dose of medical reality, allow me to actually be of genuine use to someone, and potentially become a fulfilling long-term activity even if I decide in the end that medical school is NOT something I want to pursue. From my outsider's perspective, hospice seems to fill this particular bill more closely than traditional hospital volunteering (and if it also helps me stand even slightly apart from the crowd at application time, that's fine as well). But I have some concerns--or at least some gray areas that I'd like filled in:

1. Can I expect to get any kind of sense of what it's like to practice medicine from being in the hospice setting, or should I go into the experience just planning to get some familiarity with patient/family interactions and to assess (and hopefully raise!!) my comfort level with illness and mortality? (Note: as I hinted above, this won't be my one and only volunteer opportunity--just the first one, and the only one at this present time. I'll do whatever else I can and/or should as more time becomes available.)

2. Somewhat related to the above question, I've been very blessed to have had (so far) almost no exposure to ill health at all, to say nothing of terminal illness. Three of my four grandparents are still alive into their 80s and 90s, and living comfortably at home in fine health; the fourth passed while I was away at college. I've lost other relatives and family friends to cancer, etc., but wasn't ever at the bedside to be confronted by the illness. I personally have only ever been hospitalized for a tonsillectomy, which was hardly a major traumatic event (although I milked it for as much ice cream as I could). :D My question, then: although I am, in a sense, actively seeking exposure to illness and mortality (what greater way to challenge a nascent interest in medicine than by witnessing its "failure" (and/or its palliative potential)), and although I consider myself a serious, sensitive, and mature individual, is it perhaps unwise to make my first "real" experience with medicine such a potentially emotionally draining one?

3. Last but not least, does anyone have a good suggestion for a hospice opportunity in the Boston area? (One SDNer pointed me toward Dana-Farber's Healthcare Dimensions, but their volunteer training schedule doesn't fit so well with my other obligations.)

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Best,
NYM :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well written, it sounds like you really know yourself. You are right to expect a very draining experience from Hospice care, but "trial by fire" is a proven method for people becoming more comfortable in unpleasant situations. If you decide to volunteer, I would encourage you to establish a support system for yourself before hand. For example, find a healthcare professional with substantial experience to talk to if you ever become emotionally distressed with the experience you have. Best of luck, feel free to message me if you want to talk more.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hospice can be very emotionally draining, but the hospice I volunteered at in Arizona had support groups for it's volunteers. So, if anyone at that particular hospice ever needed to talk to someone, they could. I would imagine most hospices have this for their volunteers (or at least I hope they do).

My time with hospice was amazing and life changing. It gave me a whole new respect for terminally ill patients and their families. I also volunteered in an emergency room, but hospice allowed me to really interact with patients.

Good luck.

Beacon Hospice is a great organization in the Boston area.

For me, volunteering at Hospice was a way to interact with people who were completely different from me. It also took me out of my comfort zone. I was initally really afraid of interacting with people with alzheimers and/or dementia, but now, I don't find it all that draining.

I also found it to be very rewarding. When it is time for secondaries and interviews you are full of subject matter. I think it helped me quite a bit. Go for it!

I've been doing it for the past year and don't think I'll stop till I go to med school. More than being around illnesses and death, I think hospice has taught me a lot about myself - my fears, my communications strengths, my weaknesses - all of which I never knew. People are definetly right in saying it takes you out of your comfort zone, and if you're anything like me - very innocent with little or no exposure to death and illness in my family - it'll be worth every minute. I also got my PS topic from hospice so you can see how much it means to me

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I haven't heard anything dissuasive yet, so I'll move ahead with volunteer applications (and may PM or re-post later on with more questions/issues!)

Thanks again,
NYM :)