Hospice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eren.Yeager

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering how Hospice works? Is care provided at patient homes or is it provided at a Hospice facility? How do you get comfortable if it is in patient homes -- especially during the pandemic? Any other information would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

"I am wondering how Hospice works? Is care provided at patient homes or is it provided at a Hospice facility?"

Both. There are hospice facilities for some (think those on ventilators) and there is also home hospice.

"How do you get comfortable if it is in patient homes -- especially during the pandemic? Any other information would be much appreciated. "

Define "comfortable."

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I am wondering how Hospice works? Is care provided at patient homes or is it provided at a Hospice facility? How do you get comfortable if it is in patient homes -- especially during the pandemic? Any other information would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi,

I am a hospice caregiver so I can give you some insight. Like mentioned above, you can do either a facility, in home care, or both. I have done both but mostly do in home care.

Even with the pandemic, I would say that you would be comfortable in their homes. My job has issued many safety protocols and we have PPE. It is a very clean environment because one of our duties is deep cleaning.

It is unfortunately a job that will teach you how to deal with death and grieving families. The first person that I lost had their whole family there crying and I comforted them. When I left, I can admit that I started crying in my car for a good amount of time. You will learn how to hold back emotions so that you give great care to them and their families. But, it is not bad to let your emotions out once you have left. I have lost 4 people and while it gets easier to come to terms with, it is still hard.

Lastly, it is the best job I have ever had. There will be times where your patience will be tested and you will be stressed, tired, overwhelmed. But I wouldn’t change my job for anything. Hope this helps!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users