Hospital A or Hospital B for EM rotation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a choice of a few hospitals for my EM rotation:

Hospital A: Level II trauma center sees all of the downtown trauma that does not go to our premier trauma hospital. NO EM residents but has OB, IM, FP and Gen Surg residents.

Hospital B: Has never had med students or residents but is eager to have them and we will be the first. Also a level II trauma center and has a great Peds ER

I was thinking the no brainer answer was hosp A. But then I thought deeper and was pondering whether hosp B might allow more procedures, one on one time etc. since there is no one there to compete with. But I guess the 3rd year's job is not to do procedures but to learn right? Any thoughts?

BMW-

Members don't see this ad.

The fist and most PC answer is go where you think you'll get the best education. You may get more one on one attending time and exposure at the new place if there are fewer med students. You also may want to think about what type of environment you eventually want to be in and the go there or use this as an opportunity to experience the other side. You might also want to consider who you can get a good letter from for next year's apps.

What about having residents vs. not? I would think that the residents my be more patient with you since they were just in your shoes? Is this a delusion!?

BMW-

The fist and most PC answer is go where you think you'll get the best education. You may get more one on one attending time and exposure at the new place if there are fewer med students. You also may want to think about what type of environment you eventually want to be in and the go there or use this as an opportunity to experience the other side. You might also want to consider who you can get a good letter from for next year's apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about having residents vs. not? I would think that the residents my be more patient with you since they were just in your shoes? Is this a delusion!?

BMW-

Probably depends on the place. At my school, the attendings are more patient b/c they work less and aren't trying to impress anyone themselves. They also are signed off on all their procedures.... ;) Also, though residents are fabulous, they are not as experienced teachers by definition. The best advantage to residents being at a rotation is evaluating the place for residency if hospital B is part of a new residency program, this may be even better.

From what you've described, I would go with Hospital A.

I've been the "first" student on a new rotation and I wouldn't recommend it. Any new rotation takes time to work out the kinks of the place getting used to working with medical students, teaching, doing evaluations, etc. If you can go with a place that is used to having EM residents and/or students, I think it would be better and easier for you.

From what you've described, I would go with Hospital A.

I've been the "first" student on a new rotation and I wouldn't recommend it. Any new rotation takes time to work out the kinks of the place getting used to working with medical students, teaching, doing evaluations, etc. If you can go with a place that is used to having EM residents and/or students, I think it would be better and easier for you.

Although, Im nowhere near that time yet, i agree with Hawk. My reasoning is that at a training instituion I shadowed at, they know how to incorporate med students and even my worthless premed self into a learning environment. At my other shadowing site that was not a teaching clinic, I was more or less like wallpaper.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will go with the teaching hospital for most of my rotations. As you said they are used to students and I won't be wallpaper!

BMW-

Although, Im nowhere near that time yet, i agree with Hawk. My reasoning is that at a training instituion I shadowed at, they know how to incorporate med students and even my worthless premed self into a learning environment. At my other shadowing site that was not a teaching clinic, I was more or less like wallpaper.

If you are interested in trauma procedures, then you want to go to the place with no surgery residents. Most trauma centers are run by surgeons, and the surgery residents tend to snag many of the chest tubes and thoracotomies.

Well maybe some of the EM residents could chime in? What is more important 3rd year, doing intense procedures or having residents around to teach and screw up in front of! I was just worried about screwing up in front of attendings when there are no residents. And as someone above stated I don't know if I want to be the guinea pig for a hospital that has never had students or residents

BMW-

If you are interested in trauma procedures, then you want to go to the place with no surgery residents. Most trauma centers are run by surgeons, and the surgery residents tend to snag many of the chest tubes and thoracotomies.

Actually it's a little different in Georgia. Most surgery residents actively recruit students for procedures. I did a ton of central lines, chest tubes, PEG's, and even percutaneous trachs during my medical school years in Georgia. Those I know who rotated at two other teaching hospitals also did the same.