Hospital deal with AI startup to transform pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ll bet in their( the complaining paths) employment contracts they have
ceded rights to their “work Product” and IP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love it when people are up in arms about people profiting from "their work". Um, that is what every company does.

Wonder if Google is still looking for a lab to get access to slides. I have some fer ya.

As an MS4 going into path, this worries me....

Reactions: 1 user
There are two key issues at hand from this article: 1) The use of intellectual property and whatever financial residuals that may be associated with it in the immediate or long term. 2) Further advancement of A.I. in the healthcare field, specifically ours.

Regarding the first issue, this uncharted territory since the idea of creating A.I. systems to analyze and interpret digital libraries of slides has only been around the last 5-10 years. My guess is there's little to nothing in the pathologists' contract pertaining to using their diagnoses as part of a information database. It's no different to the pharma or tech industry where any research or groundbreaking discoveries which are made by that individual does not belong to them for proprietary uses and are considered intellectual property by the particular institution which they were employed at the time. And, particularly since the hospital can say this new A.I. system is being used for in the name of "patient care", there's really not much to hold up in court. I'm not saying the pathologists don't have a reason to be salty about it. But, they have already been compensated for their work and it's no more skin off their back for what's already been done. It's just sour grapes because they aren't getting a piece of the pie...

As far as the second, I think the statement towards the end of the article sums it up:
'For now, much of the talk is theoretical — the company is years away from selling a finished product, with a staff of fewer than 20 employees.'
This goes back to what I've said in the past. Is it inevitable: Yes. Is it going to make our skillset irrelevant in this lifetime: No. Keep calm, carry on...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This goes back to what I've said in the past. Is it inevitable: Yes. Is it going to make our skillset irrelevant in this lifetime: No. Keep calm, carry on

Very true. I did some slide annotation work for a path AI company last year. It’s neat tech, but verrrrrry far away from even coming close to replacing us.

Pathologist pushing glass without a stage is and will be the cheapest/fastest way in at least our lifetime.

There are plenty of other technologies being developed to replace or at least dramatically reduce the number of specimens. I would worry about those before I worry about AI screening slides.

You wrote this big long post about how you were too good for Path and were going into Rads a few weeks ago. I remember it because I found it overwhelmingly obnoxious...I'm pretty sure you're trolling here.

As an MS4 going into path, this worries me....

So MSKs board members get in on the ground floor of the venture, while the beta staff pathologists get left out in the cold. Hilarious. Kinda reminds me of how Toby Cosgrove wine and dined Elizabeth Holmes trying to get his hands on some of that Theranos cash.

The losers will complain about how putting the profit motive above public health is destroying the American medical system. The winners will be the ones that invest in the biotech sector.

It's just sour grapes because they aren't getting a piece of the pie...

One pathologist in the department made sure to cut himself a piece of the pie...

"Memorial Sloan Kettering holds an equity stake in Paige.AI, as does a member of the cancer center’s executive board, the chairman of its pathology department and the head of one of its research laboratories. Three other board members are investors."

There are two key issues at hand from this article: 1) The use of intellectual property and whatever financial residuals that may be associated with it in the immediate or long term. 2) Further advancement of A.I. in the healthcare field, specifically ours.

Regarding the first issue, this uncharted territory since the idea of creating A.I. systems to analyze and interpret digital libraries of slides has only been around the last 5-10 years. My guess is there's little to nothing in the pathologists' contract pertaining to using their diagnoses as part of a information database. It's no different to the pharma or tech industry where any research or groundbreaking discoveries which are made by that individual does not belong to them for proprietary uses and are considered intellectual property by the particular institution which they were employed at the time. And, particularly since the hospital can say this new A.I. system is being used for in the name of "patient care", there's really not much to hold up in court. I'm not saying the pathologists don't have a reason to be salty about it. But, they have already been compensated for their work and it's no more skin off their back for what's already been done. It's just sour grapes because they aren't getting a piece of the pie...

As far as the second, I think the statement towards the end of the article sums it up:
'For now, much of the talk is theoretical — the company is years away from selling a finished product, with a staff of fewer than 20 employees.'
This goes back to what I've said in the past. Is it inevitable: Yes. Is it going to make our skillset irrelevant in this lifetime: No. Keep calm, carry on...

Not irrelevant but the numbers needed will be reduced.

The continued flow of money in this country to people who already have most of it will never cease to amaze me.

Rich people are rich because they keep doing the things that make folks rich.
Poor people are poor because they keep doing the things that make folks poor.
(I know, huge generalization but more than a kernel of truth)