Hospital Drugs with Short Stability & Protect from Light

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdt110

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I am studying for the board. I can't seem to find a list of hospital drugs that have short stability (e.g. bactrim)/should be protected from light (amphotericin, bactrim). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for light protection or short stability - and how short?

Like, nicardipine and octreotide are both good for 48 hours but should be light protected. Octreotide in the fridge if at all possible.

IV ibuprofen for neonates - 45 minutes. I believe the same for Synagis (pavlizumab).

Amiodarone, Epinephrine, Norepinephrine - all protect from light.

Acyclovir - 12 hours - in D5W only, and at room temp
Ampicillin - 12-24 hours (depends on source) - in NS only - refrigerate.

I don't know where there's a list. Either get a copy of Trissel's or the Teddy Bear Book and they both break it down for most of the drugs.

Last edited:
We've got lists posted up in the hospital of drugs that need to be protected from light. njac named most the frequently used ones that I've noticed. The only short stability drugs I've picked up on is Penicillin G, Nexium/Protonix & Mesna.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Pen G was 5 days?

Nexium/Protonix/Prevacid are all 12-24 hours depending.
Keppra is 24 hours @ room temp.
I believe the same for Valproic Acid.

It probably is (you'd probably know better than I) but the policy here is we only batch them when an order comes for it.

Protect from light: Ceftrioxone, Cefepime, Lopressor, Norepinephrine, Versed, Fentanyl, Zyvox, Vitamin K

thats just what i could think off of the top of my head in a min or so.... i dont know, i would recognize them if i save them

Last edited:
Thank you! Does anyone have a link where I can check out the info?

I'm also looking for a list of appropriate diluents for IV drugs (NS or D5W only). The only ones I know are:

Phenytoin - NS
Cladribine - NS
Synthroid - NS
Ampicillin - NS
Ampho B - D5W
Nitroprusside - D5W
Neupogen - D5W
Amiodarone - D5W
Bactrim - D5W
Procainamide - D5W
Synercid - D5W

Any important ones I'm leaving out?

you kinda just learn these things from working.... it would be damn near impossible for me to memorize them

you kinda just learn these things from working.... it would be damn near impossible for me to memorize them

exactly.

Also, Ampho B can be made in D10W (in neonates where the TPN has to be stopped to run the ampho)

Are you looking for light protection or short stability - and how short?

Like, nicardipine and octreotide are both good for 48 hours but should be light protected. Octreotide in the fridge if at all possible.

IV ibuprofen for neonates - 45 minutes. I believe the same for Synagis (pavlizumab).

I don't know where there's a list. Either get a copy of Trissel's or the Teddy Bear Book and they both break it down for most of the drugs.

What is the Teddy Bear Book?

What is the Teddy Bear Book?

P861_lg.jpg

http://www.ashp.org/bookstore/DrugInformation/ProductDetails/tabid/191/Default.aspx?ProductId=4749

I hope there isn't a hospital pharmacy without one!

Im very new to the hospital setting, but will be working in one soon so I am looking for all the info/websites/charts I can get. If anyone has anything else they can add thatd be great.

Heres what I compiled so far from this thread...

nicardipine and octreotide are both good for 48 hours but should be light protected. Octreotide in the fridge if at all possible.
Protect from light: Ceftrioxone, Cefepime, Lopressor, Norepinephrine, Versed, Fentanyl, Zyvox, Vitamin K

Phenytoin - NS
Cladribine - NS
Synthroid - NS
Ampicillin - NS
Ampho B - D5W
Ampho B can be made in D10W (in neonates where the TPN has to be stopped to run the ampho)
Nitroprusside - D5W
Neupogen - D5W
Amiodarone - D5W
Bactrim - D5W
Procainamide - D5W
Synercid - D5W

Reactions: 1 user
Im very new to the hospital setting, but will be working in one soon so I am looking for all the info/websites/charts I can get. If anyone has anything else they can add thatd be great.

Heres what I compiled so far from this thread...

nicardipine and octreotide are both good for 48 hours but should be light protected. Octreotide in the fridge if at all possible.

Phenytoin - NS
Cladribine - NS
Synthroid - NS
Ampicillin - NS
Ampho B - D5W
Ampho B can be made in D10W (in neonates where the TPN has to be stopped to run the ampho)
Nitroprusside - D5W
Neupogen - D5W
Amiodarone - D5W
Bactrim - D5W
Procainamide - D5W
Synercid - D5W

that's a good start, but really don't try to memorize this stuff.
spend some time in your IV room to get a feel for it. you will learn a lot more by just making stuff over and over.

we label the bins that the drugs are in with the diluent and exp dating.

Thank you! Does anyone have a link where I can check out the info?
you're spending way too much time on something trivial for the NAPLEX...If this question is even asked at all, you will likely get 1 question about it. If you fail the exam, it certainly won't be over this

bumping old thread because google brought me here first. summary of what i compiled for future searcher:

Non-PVC
Tacrolimus, temsirolimus, teniposide, cabazitaxel, docetaxel, paclitaxel, amiodarone, amiodarone (for infusions >2hrs), caramustine, lorazepam, sufentanil, thiopental, regular insulin, and NTG, Cyclosporine

Protect from light
Amiodarone
Ampho B
Bactrim
Ceftriaxone, Cefepime, Ciprofloxacin
Doxycycline
Dopamine
Epinephrine, Esomeprazole
Fentanyl, Furosemide (and tablets)
Granisetron
Hydrocortisone, Hydromorphone
Leucovorin, Levofloxacin, Levothyroxine, Linezolid