1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hospital employment: Is this clinical?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by drdan83, Aug 20, 2011.

1. drdan83

Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm still confused on how to categorize certain jobs in a hospital.

I just got a part time job as an ER registrar. My job involves registering the patients. I don't touch them or attend to them. If they ask for my help, I will get the nurse or I will get them a blanket or something along those lines. I work right in the middle of the ER and I go from room to room putting their information into the portable computer. I will obviously be observing everything that is going on and I will be interacting with the patients regarding insurance matters. I'd like to think that this is clinical experience. What do you think?

Some people say that if you smell the patients, it is a clinical experience but I just want to be sure. I'm still confused as to what is and what really isn't.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're pretty much not allowed to touch or attend patients without training.

I think your gig is great clinical experience.

On the no touching thing, there's always an angle. If you insinuate yourself into an ortho casting situation and you're in the right place at the right time to hold up a 300 lb guy's arm, they'll probably let you. And I found that when somebody's having their knee drilled for femur traction, if you get up near their head and distract them, maybe even hold their hand during the pain, that's "attending" to a patient.

Best of luck to you.

4. drdan83

Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Thank you DrMidLife

I'm fortunate to get this job in this economy and that too a hospital job. I applied for that job in March and they offered it to me last week. I'm going to count my blessings and make sure I get the most from this experience.

5. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've done this as well (along with being a tech) and I think ER Registration/Pt Access work is GREAT clinical experience for e pre-medical student. In some ways, I suspect it may be better than most other positions in the hospital because you are seeing the financial piece that you won't get in med school. Also, as DrMidLife said, there are times you can still touch the pt (e.g., to hold a hand, to steady an arm for the tech, to put on them pt's wrist-band, etc.). I also always check vitals and observe for any needs that I can relay to the nursing staff when I go. (I am an EMT and have been an ED Tech, so I try to be an extra pair of eyes for them.) Best of luck! ED Reg can be a lot of fun.

6. FutureSunnyDoc

FutureSunnyDoc SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had the same question. :) Good to know!