Hospital Equipment Unaffected By Cell Phone Use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something some of us have known for awhile, but there is equipment that is can be affected by other electrical devices.

Link to news article

What are your hospitals rules on cell phones?

Members don't see this ad.

No cell phones in in-patient rooms, treatment/procedure rooms and the professional building. They supposedly set off the alarm that calls the fire department.

Besides some 60 cycle interference on EKG's what else can be effected? For all the people that pass through an ED with cell phones, radio's etc I've yet to see a building or patient explode.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides some 60 cycle interference on EKG's what else can be effected? For all the people that pass through an ED with cell phones, radio's etc I've yet to see a building or patient explode.
No way that cell phones can cause 60 cycle interference. It's physically impossible.

Guys the rules against cell phone is a leftover from the days of the "brick phones" which had a great deal of electromagnetic bleedover, some of which did interfere with telemetry and other transmitted medical data collection by essentially floooding the area with electromagnetic energy. The modern cellphone simply does not create this interference. At all.

- H

It's a left over rule that they didn't care to look into... cause hospitals enjoy charging patients for the phone in their room. That's how I look at it.... the three motivations behind everything: Sex, money and power.

There is one piece of hospital equipment that becomes operationally incapacitated in terms of its normal function when a patient gabs on and on on a cell phone. That would be me.

We had a student who was a nurse back in the days and he said the same thing to us, even after another nurse approached us and told us differently while we were discussing this issue. It seems like the ban on cell phone usage will stay on as long as people believe that it will interfere with hospital equipment.