1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hospital Hiring Requirements?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by duskandlight, May 3, 2007.

1. duskandlight

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I want to work in the pharmacy at a hospital. right now im a 6 month tech retail. what does somebody need to become a hospital pharm tech? i am going to be certified in august.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well....it all depends on what state you're in.

But, generally, you need a negative PPD skin test & experience.

4. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm positive PPD and no prior experience and still got hired at the hospital. But it was not easy to get that job. It took me 9 months to finally land that job. Just look online and if you have an opening, then just apply for it. But a lot of hospitals require that you're certified and have at least 1 year experience.

5. lozthegreat

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You will probally need to pass a generic/name brand test and a math test (for compounding IVs).... at least thats what I had to do.

6. Da Alchemist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Just curious, are you tb positive? or did you have bcg vaccination when you were a baby that reacted to ppd test? Because I had a bcg vaccination but i never had a ppd skin test. Im afraid I will be ppd positive also if i take the test and have trouble getting a job at the hospital as a pharmtech.

7. duskandlight

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I enjoy working in retail pharmacies but I really want to work in the hospital setting. I have no clue if i am pdd positive. I hope not. All of the hospitals near me have no job openings online. I'm not quite sure if thats true but I need some help preparing too. What steps should I take to gain that type of job?:confused:

8. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    The first time I had the test, I was negative, then I got tested again a year later, I was positive, but even when I was negative for that first time time, it wasn't really for sure. And it's been over 10 years now that I'm positive. The doctor at the time told me something about vaccination that I might have had that could have caused it to be positive. I had a lot of shots when I was a baby, I don't even know if BCG was one of them, but I probably did.

Once you're positive, you don't have to take the skin test anymore, but you have get a chest x-ray. If you're under 35, there's treatment that you have to go through for 6 months. I never did and I regret not doing that because it was free for me while working in the hospital. Depends on where you work, they might want a chest x-ray for every 5 years. It's not uncommon to be positive and it definitely would not affect your chance of getting a job at the hospital. I worked there for 4 years and I had 1 chest x-ray and that was it. Now I just have to get a chest x-ray for pharmacy school.

It's not that hard to get a job at the hospital. It's all about determination. It took me a while to land that first hospital job, but after I moved, I applied for 1 hospital and they called me within a week. They really want to hire people with experience or with connection. A bunch of techs I work with were daughters or sons of the pharmacists or related to them somehow. I was one of the very few "outsider" with no prior experience. When my RX manager interviewed me, he told me that even if I had worked in retail, it wouldn't help me much except for knowing the drug names because it's so different in the hospital.

9. Da Alchemist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Im assuming that you were born in another country because if you were born in here in america then you didnt get bcg vaccination. btw what did the chest xray find?

10. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    B/c the TB test was positive they just want a chest x-ray to look for damage due to TB.

11. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Yeah...I was born in another country. The X-ray looked fine or else they wouldn't have hired me.

12. genesis09

genesis09 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Remember just because you have a positive ppd, it doesn't mean you have tb. All it means you've been exposed or had a bcg vaccination. To work in any health care environment, if you have a positive ppd, they will make you get a chest x-ray.

13. duskandlight

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What steps Do I Need To Take1

14. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Look for an opening and fill out an application.

15. tmac01

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Probably the best way to land a job in a hospital pharmacy is to at least volunteer there first. That way you can gain experience with less expectations and build rapport with the employees. If they like your work they might hire you.

16. akamplace

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I used to work for this pharmacy staffing agency and we placed a ton of pharmacy techs in the hospital settings primarily. we were the only people they hired their techs from they did not take just regular applica. so check online for pharmacy staffing agencies.