ANNIE8

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What sort of hospital jobs are available for someone who only has a college degree? It seems as though every job, (except janitor) wants some sort of extra training that I don't have time for.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
they will train a lot of people. my sister is a pharmacy technician and had no degree or prior training when she got the job. there are research jobs that require a bachelors degree. they can train you in some tech jobs.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What sort of hospital jobs are available for someone who only has a college degree? It seems as though every job, (except janitor) wants some sort of extra training that I don't have time for.

You could be a dietary aide or transporter without additional training. They are paid minimum wage, unfortunately.

About the Ads

DocOB

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Gladwin, Michigan
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It is by no means glamorous but it isn't bad. I'm a unit secretary at the hospital where my university is. When I first heard about the position, I was like :oops: Then when I started, it was great. I've had worse jobs for less money. Plus I get to sit around, shoot the breeze with a ton of docs and I'm responsible for putting all of their orders in the computer. Like I said, it's not as good as a job where you would get patient interaction, but I'm picking up a lot of things as far as treatments and meds and junk and stuff, and when it's slow I get to do my homework.

Bubblewrap777

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
transporters do not get paid min, wage
I get around $13.5hour at night (granted been doing it for 5 years) starting wage is $10 in CA

plus they are paying for half of my college, if I work 24 hours a week.... just a thought :)

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've decided the only way I'm going to get the kind of clinical experience I need is to go for a hospital position. I've applied before with little success, but I'm going to try a little bit harder this time. At the hospital where I'm applying the basic patient oriented position is Patient Care Technician. There is a list of certificates that are potentially qualifying such as EMT and CNA, but surprisingly enough "Pre-Med Student" is actually on the list. I guess we'll see if that's true in practice as well as on paper... In some ways I hate my current job...I'm so tired of taking calls for a living- I just want to get into the medical field in some capacity or another. The downside to leaving is that I'm making $12.35/hr to sit in an office cubicle with every possible comfort to go work in a hospital stocking shelves, collecting stool samples, bathing old people, etc. >) Alas, a pre-med student must do what a pre-med student must do.....

I suggest dropping by the HR/employment office and just talking to a recruiter about what you might be able to do. There are many positions within a hospital that don't require certifications, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't LIKE you to have one. If you have no hospital experience then you might want to start volunteering first; that way you can apply and tell them how you're familiar with hospital procedures and understand the responsibilities of the position you're applying for. Write a good cover letter. The good news about hospitals is that they are usually so big that each floor or department makes employment decisions- so if you're not successful in one department, just pick another one and you'll have someone entirely different reviewing your cover letter/resume.

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What sort of hospital jobs are available for someone who only has a college degree?
PS....lol! That's what we really should tell our children...sure, go to college, but then do something you can actually get a job with. Did you ever imagine you could spend 4 years on higher education and come out asking "Is there anywhere I can work in a hospital- I ONLY have a college degree?" It's weird how we have to work backwards to get these positions; you could have gone to a community college for 2 years out of high school and be working as a hospital tech....instead you got a 4 year degree and have to consider getting "lower" education to work in a hospital until medical school. ::shrug::

LastOneStanding

Future fodder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Bean town
mdapplicants.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
scutmonkey! or generally some kind of "doctors bitch" of some kind. lab work clinical work, whatever but its important to have some kind of hired or voluntary interaction with patients and/or patient issues in some way/shape/form

Just go walk into a hospital and beg whatever deparment interests you for a job. Write letters! Show interest. Ask doctors about their work (doctors love to talk about their work and how great they are at it).

Get a temp-to-perm job. Show them your hardworking ethics and INTEREST and they'll find something for you. and you get to contribute to the field you want to work in (medicine).

Interst interest interest...

Dont just go get a job because you liked some cut ER tech on TV.

msundi83

Chilled Out Entertainer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I work as a nursing assistant at a local hospital and it took a lot of persistance to get the position. They always need NA's, but my troubles were just caused by laziness and beurocracy in general. The job can be less "desirable" than some other choices, but you really get desensitized to the less "glamorous" side of it quickly. Plus when I get thrown up on somewhere down the line it won't seem as disgusting or unexpected. My hospital didn't even require a CNA certificate. The gave me a one week orientation and trained me for like 3 weeks. In this case, I won't be able to work as a CNA elsewhere, but I only have to work here till I start classes in August.

Strongbow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
transport in MN starts at around 12-13.

You could be a lab assistant or phlebotomist too.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.