1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

hospital jobs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kbkaggie, Nov 17, 2002.

1. kbkaggie

kbkaggie Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone know how to go about getting a job in a hospital as a undergrad? I hear about people doing that but I havent the faintest how to get one. what kinds of things would you be able to do? any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

depends on the hospital. where i worked for undergrad i was expected to talk to patients and their families can convey any problems they might be having to superiors. there is also the standard giving out food, helping with entertainment, etc. you get to shadow doctors also. depending on the program at your school, you will do some mix of the above activities.

4. 95899

95899 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was told that doing an internship at a hospital, shadowing doctors was that kind of thing was something every Pre-Med did, hence if you did it you won't stand out from the rest. I've seen the clinical jobs are always filled up the first week of every quarter at my school. Its so high in demand that we have a lottery system to decide on who gets the internship. I guess this high demand reflects the fact that sooo many Pre-Meds are doing this type of work. So what I've been told is that you should do is research with a professor, working at a retirement home, anything non-hospital related instead. This true?

Also, I'm doing an internship where I make a presentation and teach Junior High school students for a day. Is this a "weak" internship? This internship won't make me as attractive than if I had done the internships mentioned above right? What about o-chem tutoring? Is this "weak" as well?

5. lakewill

lakewill Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You could be a phelbotomist or an ordely.

These jobs arent that flashy, but the training is minimal and you get a lot of patient contact.

6. An Yong

An Yong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, I have to disagree with the statement that we should do something non-hospital related to stand-out. Everyone tries to get hospital experience so we as "future doctors" can get atleast a small inkling of an idea of what we are getting ourselves into. I think its wonderful if you do something non-hospital oriented in addition to hospital related activities to stand out, but I honestly believe that hospital related activities is essential to show adcom members that you have been exposed to the health profession ( this is why there is a long line of pre-meds trying to get a volunteer position at hospitals around campuses =P).

7. unicorn1

unicorn1 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can work as a unit clerk at a hospital...most hospitals
    have this position in various departments and usually hire
    students as part time/per diem staff...which works out well
    for the student as well. I worked as a unit clerk PICU for 2 years
    during undergrad...and totally loved it, not to mention the
    experience.

Also through my undergrad Health Professions Office I
    heard about a CIM (Clinical info Manager) job and have
    been working there since my senior year...this job is ideal
    for premeds..basically I work in ED alongside the doctor
    and help him/her get the past and present medical history,
    get the exam findings from him and document all of this
    in the electronic charting system...plus I follow up of
    labs, x-rays, etc....another words I do almost the same
    things a med student doing rotations through ED does (not the physical exam ofcourse) and get paid for it...you'd be surprised how much you can learn

I also see lots of pre PA pre Med students working as
    techs in the ED as well...but I believe you need to be an EMT for that:):)

just some suggestion...hope it helps

8. MaybeMD

MaybeMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What about being a Nursing Assistant? Are they any undergrads out there Nursing Assistant's? I am thinking about doing this; but, as with any other job or activity I could take up, I am afraid it'll have an effect on my grades.

9. QHamp

QHamp Armstrong Fan
    7+ Year Member

I don't know how much being a CNA helps getting into med school, but I do know that my Mom's OB began her career as a CNA.

I went ahead and obtained my certification, but haven't actually gotten a job yet. I would caution you not to work at a nursing home, as what you learn there is not likely to help you much ... unless you plan on becoming a proctologist!

My father worked as a CNA on the cardiac floor at our local hospital, and loved it. He got to learn phlebotomy and how to run EKGs. Not to mention they had at least one "code blue" a week, sometimes two or three in one night.