Hospital Management- consulting and other career paths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kangaro5327

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am interested in one day taking on a top hospital management position at a non-profit hospital and would like some advice on ways of getting to that sort of position. I am currently a medical student at Stanford, did my bachelors at Harvard, and considering applying to the Stanford 5 year MD/MBA program.

A lot people suggested I look into management consulting after finishing my MD and would like some advice as to specifically what the career options in health care are after working in consulting for a few years with a MD, what growth is like for a MD in the business field, whether getting a MBA and/or a year of internship training is worth the opportunity cost, and what would give me the best qualifications to one day become a CEO of a non-profit hospital.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does Stanford have more concrete plans for a 5-year MD/MBA now? When I checked with them a few months ago, they said that while they have a proposal for such a program, it needs to go through a lengthy process of approval through the Faculty Senate and that it is unlikely that it would be in place for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The path to being a CEO is really vague. Its not just based on qualifications but personal character, leadership qualities, and other things you do. If your serious about it pick up "How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of any Organization" by Jeffrey Fox. Its both practical and inspirational.

Hi, I am about to start my first year of medical school in August. during my undergraduate career I earned degrees in Chemsitry and Marketing and would love to keep things like administration in the cards. I was wondering if completing an online MBA (Aspen was the program I was looking at but i'm not set on anything) was feasible at anytime during medical school. It would take 2 years and 4 months to earn the MBA if i took one course at a time, taking 10 weeks to complete each course (I could take up to three each semester however). Also, because I have an undergraduate business degree, is it even necessary to earn an MBA or is a B.S. not enough to cut it in the real world? Thanks in advance!