Hospital pharm tech job, clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Dream

Eating the 5 pancakes
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've worked part-time as a hospital pharm tech for about a year now, and recently decided to switch from pre-pharm to pre-med. I was wondering if this job would count as clinical experience on a med school app.

I don't usually deal with patients or talk to doctors, but I talk to pharmacists and nurses all the time. I've seen and learned how doctors, nurses, pharmacists, CNA's, etc. interact and work together as a team in a hospital. I also obviously handle meds all the time, and have learned a lot about drug classes, drug names and functions, and dosing. My main concern however is that med schools won't view this as a clinical experience because of the lack of exposure to doctors and patients.

I love my job and plan to keep it through my undergrad even though I've transitioned from pre-pharm to pre-med, but I was hoping it could count as clinical experience as well.

Thanks, any thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience generally denotes patient exposure. Its medical experience for sure but, and I quote, "If you are close enough to smell patients, it is a clinical experience." So not really, no.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/would-you-include-this-as-clinical-volunteering.1051456/#post-14815956

Thanks for the input! Dang, that's disappointing. I walk past patient rooms and patients all the time though when I deliver and stock meds, so technically I am "close enough to smell patients". But I understand what you're saying.

Well it's quite a bit different if you're not interacting with patients, ya know?

I work at a retail pharmacy where I literally deal with the public (ie patients) all day long and I'm doubting it counts for me either.

Well it's quite a bit different if you're not interacting with patients, ya know?

I work at a retail pharmacy where I literally deal with the public (ie patients) all day long and I'm doubting it counts for me either.

Yea I see what you're saying. Well that's kinda disappointing :( Oh well, better to find out it doesn't count now than when I'm applying and that was the only thing I was planning on putting for clinical experience :eek:

So I've worked part-time as a hospital pharm tech for about a year now, and recently decided to switch from pre-pharm to pre-med. I was wondering if this job would count as clinical experience on a med school app.

I don't usually deal with patients or talk to doctors, but I talk to pharmacists and nurses all the time. I've seen and learned how doctors, nurses, pharmacists, CNA's, etc. interact and work together as a team in a hospital. I also obviously handle meds all the time, and have learned a lot about drug classes, drug names and functions, and dosing. My main concern however is that med schools won't view this as a clinical experience because of the lack of exposure to doctors and patients.

I love my job and plan to keep it through my undergrad even though I've transitioned from pre-pharm to pre-med, but I was hoping it could count as clinical experience as well.

Thanks, any thoughts are appreciated!
Though it's not the type of patient interactive experience adcomms are looking for, it's still of value on your application, especially if you highlight the teamwork aspects, knowledge of pharmacologic considerations, and familiarity with a medical facility.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur 100% with my learned colleague. But now is the time to show us you actually like being around patients.

Though it's not the type of patient interactive experience adcomms are looking for, it's still of value on your application, especially if you highlight the teamwork aspects, knowledge of pharmacologic considerations, and familiarity with a medical facility.

Reactions: 1 user