Hospital Scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon62781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish to acquire some hospital scrubs (the really comfy ones). Does anyone know a LEGAL way to do this? I already know an illegal way, but that is a last ditch resort. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are tons of companies that sell scrubs.

You could also look in the phone book under "uniforms."

Q, DO

i don't know, that's kinda risky.....are phone books legal? what if there is a raid on the uniform shop while you are inside? just some things to think about.....it's all about calculated risks when it comes to hospital scrubs - but the pay-offs are amazing

Members don't see this ad :)
A resident at the hospital I work at got busted for returning some scrubs from another hospital into the return bin. Apparently there is a camera by the vending machine. Big Brother is everywhere, so be careful.:laugh:

There are a number of places where you can get inexpensive & comfy scrubs. No reason to resort to crime! ;)

you'll get, or have gotten, a list of some places from school

Try ordering them through SDN.... They were selling sets of scrubs for around $15. The quality is not what dreams are made of, but you can't beat the price.

Luv
BK

I fully endorse SDN scrubs, of course. :)

Since a couple of you are going to be in Tulsa, I also recommend a couple of places around here.

BTW: some people only wear scrubs to school when they have to (OMT labs), but others wear them virtually all of the time. I'm in the second group. Who can beat basically wearing pyjamas to class & to study each day. :D

Does anyone know if a school/lab/clerkship would sweat you for wearing scrubs from another facility? As a travel nurse in a former life I have acquired a few pair. They have facility logos, but no "property of..." insignia.

BTW: some people only wear scrubs to school when they have to (OMT labs), but others wear them virtually all of the time.

People who wear scrubs all the time to school are losers

Wow. And here I thought deadbeat dads, guys who beat women, and trolls who try to start fights on message boards were losers. Thanks for realigning my flawed perceptions.

Originally posted by Hayduke
Does anyone know if a school/lab/clerkship would sweat you for wearing scrubs from another facility?

Don't think they'd care - in fact it can be a good conversation starter I've found. That said, the place you got 'em from might be a bit annoyed, both for the obvious theft/cost reasons and that you're "representing" that other facility under false pretenses.

Anyway, scrub theft's actually a big issue:

Hospital sees red over missing 'greens'
Ian Elliot
Kingston Whig-Standard

Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:00

Local News - If you?re using a set of hospital greens as pyjamas or workout wear, Kingston General Hospital wants to introduce you to a concept known as a clothing store.

And it wants its property back.

The hospital is launching a six-day amnesty campaign in an attempt to reclaim the uncounted numbers of surgical shirts and pants, known as greens because of their colour, that have gone missing over the years.

The migration of greens out of the hospital isn?t only costing KGH about $100,000 a year to replace them, but it has begun to cause delays in surgery, according to hospital officials.

The hospital is setting up drop boxes to retrieve hospital-issued clothing in a number of locations around the city and will operate them until June 10, publicizing the campaign with a humorous advertising campaign.

On a more serious note, the hospital is warning that anyone found wearing its clothing after the amnesty campaign could be questioned or charged.

?It?s not just KGH, it?s all the hospitals in town that have this problem,? said Kingston General spokeswoman Julie White.

?And it?s a cumulative problem. It adds up over time.?

All the clothing is permanently marked with the name of the institution from which it came. It often turns up in second-hand or thrift stores in Kingston but White said the clothing remains hospital property, no matter where it ends up or who happens to be wearing it.

It isn?t known how many sets of greens have gone missing over the years, taken home and never returned by doctors, nurses, students and others with access to the greens.

People without hospital privileges may also have have been given a set by a family member or a friend, and that?s why the hospital is running a community-wide amnesty rather than one focused on the hospital and university.

Tracy Kent-Hillis, KGH?s director of perioperative services, called the situation ?intolerable? and said the drop boxes are a chance for people to return any greens sitting in their pyjama drawer or sports bag, no questions asked.

The campaign takes a humorous tone, featuring masked and half-naked medical staff preparing to operate on a patient beneath the headline ?The Naked Truth: We need our greens back!?

But the situation is anything but funny.

KGH says some procedures are being delayed as staff members look for greens in other areas of the hospital, delaying operations at times when stocks of clothing are depleted.

Operating-room time is worth between $40 and $90 a minute, and there is also the cost of replacing the clothing. White says a small surgical shirt costs $8.95, while a pair of extra-large pants costs $11.89.

KGH security staff have been talking to Kingston Police about what can be done after the amnesty ends, White said, stressing the seriousness of the issue.

?It is theft,? she said.

The campaign kicks off tomorrow and drop boxes for clothing will be set up inside City Hall and the Counter Street municipal office, inside Botterell Hall and the John Deutsch University Centre at Queen?s, outside the KGH main entrance and at several locations inside the hospital.

I think people who get upset when others wear scrubs suffer from a condition called:

chlorophyll attack

It has the typical symptom of getting very green in the face. The onset occurs when a scrub wearing student walks close to them.

The AOA and the AMA both define it as a pathetic disease

and I define it as a PITIFUL CASE OF ENVYYYYY!!!

Go scrubs!!

I work in an emergency department and have acquired a few pairs of marked scrub sets. I wear them like a badge of honor because to get scrubs I was vomited on, bled on, urinated on, etc, etc. All of the docs I work with have scrubs from the hospitals they did their residency at -- and it's kind of cool. Funny to see some of them though which state: "These scrubs were stolen from XXX Hospital." Steer clear of those! :hardy:

Anyone going to LECOM take heed....

Scrubs may not be worn by MS-I's or MS-II's while on campus. The administration sees scrubs as a kind of status symbol. Never mind the fact that most ward clerks, orderlies, lunch ladies and janitors in hospitals can be seen wearing scrubs. It would make all too much sense for scrubs to be allowed in the anatomy lab....But LECOM adheres to it's own brand of (un)common sense.

Being puked and peed on while wearing scrubs must be some kind of rite of passage reserved only for MS-III's