Hospital Staff Pharmacist Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washredmond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a P1 and was wondering whether what kind of experience is required for staff pharmacist position at a hospital that is not necessarily clinical. Do hospitals prefer a student with residency? Are most of these staff positions in the outpatient pharmacy or inpatient as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a P1 and was wondering whether what kind of experience is required for staff pharmacist position at a hospital that is not necessarily clinical. Do hospitals prefer a student with residency? Are most of these staff positions in the outpatient pharmacy or inpatient as well?

You don't need a residency. What they would like is lot of work experience, which shows your familiarity and compatibility with the job setting. So if you interned at a hospital for several years during school, you should be fine.

I am about to be a P3 and I have been working in retail for about 3 yrs now. I know that none of the hospitals around where I go to school will hire a P3 as an intern since I will only be around for a short while. Will I need a residency to work as a hospital pharmacist (especially since it's 2013 and it seems like Pharmacy PGY1/2 will become required soon, much like medical residencies)? I wouldn't mind working in the outpatient pharmacy at a hospital/health clinic, but I would just like to take a break from retail.

Members don't see this ad :)

It'll depend what market you are applying. In highly competitive markets such as California, residencies are de facto/de jure required in the high demand areas such as the SF Bay Area, Orange County, and San Diego. In more rural areas (Fresno, Bakersfield, etc...), it becomes "residency preferred."

In these areas and in non-competitive areas, xiphoid's advice applies. Inpatient experience as an intern and/or stellar performance on an APPE rotation within the institution will likely put you on their short-list for staff/distribution positions.

I am about to be a P3 and I have been working in retail for about 3 yrs now. I know that none of the hospitals around where I go to school will hire a P3 as an intern since I will only be around for a short while. Will I need a residency to work as a hospital pharmacist (especially since it's 2013 and it seems like Pharmacy PGY1/2 will become required soon, much like medical residencies)? I wouldn't mind working in the outpatient pharmacy at a hospital/health clinic, but I would just like to take a break from retail.

See my previous post, your best bet would be to seek out challenging APPE rotations on the inpatient side and try to translate that into either employment or a stepping stone to PGY1. Strong clinical performance on rotations can cancel out a lack of inpatient work experience. Many of my co-resident peers did not have direct inpatient experience.

See my previous post, your best bet would be to seek out challenging APPE rotations on the inpatient side and try to translate that into either employment or a stepping stone to PGY1. Strong clinical performance on rotations can cancel out a lack of inpatient work experience. Many of my co-resident peers did not have direct inpatient experience.

I can testify to the strong clinical performance and the lack of inpatient experience for my classmate. He just landed a clinical job without doing residency- but the location is one of those rural types of places confetti mentioned above. He did some of his rotations with that particular hospital during the 4th year.

Just saw a position in Palo Alto that seems to be split between staffing and med recs...prefers a PGY2 in internal med...really? What is this world coming to?

Just saw a position in Palo Alto that seems to be split between staffing and med recs...prefers a PGY2 in internal med...really? What is this world coming to?

Lol. So now you need a PGY-2 to do med rec? I think I would shoot myself if I did two years of residency to end up in a 50% med rec position (the most dreaded task ever).

Still lots of clinical positions for in-patient facilities without a residency. Five or more years post-Pharm.D. Working in retail will make it harder to land a hospital position. I worked retail 2 years, then hospital about 7 months before landing my current position - inpatient behavioral health facility. I love my new position.