Hospital Volunteer/Shadowing vs. Pathmaker Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suhhyun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about doing a volunteer position and I'm torn between two different volunteering positions.

One is essentially shadowing a pathologist at a nearby hospital by my college through its volunteer program. I met him through my church and he essentially told me that he'd show me the ropes of what he does (though of course HIPAA will probably get in the way sometimes). I can also always change to ER which is the most hands on place at that hospital (though there is a waitlist, I can always shadow the pathologist while I wait).

On the other hand, there is a hospital about 25 minutes away from where I live that has a very hands on internship. I've heard of people who got into medical school used it as their main volunteer position when applying to medical school. Also, I heard from a friend in this internship that sometimes doctors let them see procedures which I think is really cool.

Both seem really neat to me and filled with opportunities which will avoid the whole "I'm sitting at a desk answering phone calls" volunteer position. Also both want the same 4 hours a week commitment for at least a year. I want to do a position that will last at least 3+ years, so I'd like to make the best well informed decision. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about doing a volunteer position and I'm torn between two different volunteering positions.

One is essentially shadowing a pathologist at a nearby hospital by my college through its volunteer program. I met him through my church and he essentially told me that he'd show me the ropes of what he does (though of course HIPAA will probably get in the way sometimes). I can also always change to ER which is the most hands on place at that hospital (though there is a waitlist, I can always shadow the pathologist while I wait).

On the other hand, there is a hospital about 25 minutes away from where I live that has a very hands on internship. I've heard of people who got into medical school used it as their main volunteer position when applying to medical school. Also, I heard from a friend in this internship that sometimes doctors let them see procedures which I think is really cool.

Both seem really neat to me and filled with opportunities which will avoid the whole "I'm sitting at a desk answering phone calls" volunteer position. Also both want the same 4 hours a week commitment for at least a year. I want to do a position that will last at least 3+ years, so I'd like to make the best well informed decision. Thanks! :)

Is there a reason as to why you can't do both? That's my recommendation! Both sound good, though the second opportunity was a bit more vague.

Good luck with your choice!

I would love to do both, but I only have room for one more volunteering position as I am already doing research at a biotech company and doing peer counseling (plus a full course load aha).

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already been accepted to both positions? If one is more selective than the other it might be tougher to do it. Also, what kind of work does the internship include?

If you have 3 years, do one for a year and the other for 2 years. Also, as mentioned, if one is hard to get into (the one further away you might have to apply this yr and next or even 3 times before you are chosen.

Also, please remove "neat" and "cool" from your vocabulary when discussing the sick and injured and their medical care. It is unprofessional and immature.

Also, please remove "neat" and "cool" from your vocabulary when discussing the sick and injured and their medical care. It is unprofessional and immature.

Is any better to use words like "intriguing" or "fascinating"? I do see how this might seem ghoulish, but is it really wrong to find medical procedures interesting to observe? Just trying to understand.

Is any better to use words like "intriguing" or "fascinating"? I do see how this might seem ghoulish, but is it really wrong to find medical procedures interesting to observe? Just trying to understand.

Interesting is good. Awe-inspiring. Amazing. Inspiring. Fascinating is ok but overused.

Cool and neat just seem childish when describing a medical procedure.

I'm guessing you go UCSD :)

I highly, highly recommend the Pathmaker Internship. I have been doing it and there truly is no better program in terms of the amount of patient exposure you get (I have done no administrative work at all). I volunteered at Thornton for a while too, but quit after 3 shifts b/c all I did was staple together surgery checkout packets, which was incredibly boring. PM me if you have any more questions!