Hospital Volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRdelgado

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do i get a job at a hospital or a pharmacy as a volunteer? I cant work because then they would take my parents foodstamps away and i cant do that to them.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if your post is serious or your just joking so here is my advice.

Go to hospital HR or pharmacy and ask to see a pharmacy manager or HR manager, and see if you can volunteer.

Be prepare to have a resume, and treat it like a job interview.

Most retail chains don't allow volunteers because of liability or something to that effect. Try contacting either independent pharmacies or hospitals. Hospitals likely have a volunteer coordinator and their information might be posted on the hospital's website.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the hospital I used to volunteer at, they would not allow a volunteer for the pharmacy. It would be completely closed off. If you wanted anything, you would have t speak through a glass window. That's how closed off it was. fenixtnlfan said it as well, there's too much of a liability to it.

The hospital in Stephenville allows volunteers at its pharmacy.

Only a few hospitals allow volunteers in the pharmacy dept, so you will have to call many hospitals in your area. I am currently volunteering in the inpatient pharmacy and I don't have access to the dept without the staff making sure that it's me.

Definitely talk to the manager or volunteer department and talk about your situation and how you want to get experience as a future pharmacist.

I've been volunteering at my hospital for a couple of years now. I initially was able to get in by mentioning to my volunteer coordinator that I was interested in pharmacy and wanted to gain experience.

I'm not allowed to do the serious stuff obviously, but I am allowed to hang around and stock meds, help with IVs, etc.

Maybe it's a state thing whether or not they allow volunteers in the hospital. Every hospital here allows volunteers.

Its was very hard to get into to the pharmacy and I only got in because they found out I was already a volunteer @ the hospital I work at and that I go to ACP.

Ask to speak with the volunteer manager at multiple hospitals in your area. Different hospitals have different procedures on whether they allow volunteers in the pharmacy. Also, you may need to obtain a license under the state in order for you to volunteer.

Try your county hospital. Since they are a public hospital, are funded by government money, and usually very busy they LOVE volunteers! Get in touch with the person who runs the volunteer auxilary dept. they will let you know if there is a position available in the pharmacy.

I agree. I recently got a volunteer opportunity at in the pharmacy department at the hospital. Pharmacists will not let you touch medications but they'll allow you to watch and do paperwork or ask them questions. It's more a job shadowing, but it's still good. Definitely get in contact with the volunteer coordinator.

I 'm allowed to handle drugs, but I'm not suppose to use their computer system. I guess each hospital is different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I 'm allowed to handle drugs, but I'm not suppose to use their computer system. I guess each hospital is different.

Same here, except for narcotics of course. ;)

just remember, volunteer experience/EC doesn't have to be "pharmacy related".....

Just remember its how you word it on your apps, and how you explain yourself in the interview that counts.

I do a fair amount of different things at the hospital I volunteer for... it all depends on what the pharmacy director allows... not the state... but i count the narcotics safe every month and have huge contact with the CIIs as well as shadow pharmacists, fill clinic orders, oncluding boring stuff like shelf cleaning... it depends on the place... but regardless of the place the board of pharmacy would love to know what 'your responsible' for in the pharmacy.... in which you reply mostly cleaning and paperwork :)

Get a job at an independent pharmacy, ask them to pay you under the table, off the books, etc.

Then make sure that they don't report your income. Don't file taxes either.

why don't you do it at your place of work, and tell us how it goes.

Sparda is right. I worked at an independant, i got paid on the books, but some people there didn't. Especially part time pharmacists. It's worth a try! I feel sorry for you guys struggling to find pharmacy positions. I must just be extremely fortunate to live in an area where pharmacy jobs are a dime a dozen. I've had 4 jobs in pharmacy and i've never once made a resume, i usually get offered more jobs than I can take being a full time student. Good luck :luck:

The Red Cross uses pharmacy volunteers. Check their website to see if they need any in your area.

Is it worth looking at a volunteering position in a hospital pharmacy if you are already working at a pharmacy? That question probably seems dumb but I work in retail and I have wanted to also experience the hospital side of things but can't take on another job right now so was thinking at some point I'd look into volunteering at a hospital. Does it help if you are a CPT?

My local Hospital allows anyone to volunteer in the Pharmacy after a screening. However, all you end up doing is walking around delivering medications, lol.

Is it worth looking at a volunteering position in a hospital pharmacy if you are already working at a pharmacy? That question probably seems dumb but I work in retail and I have wanted to also experience the hospital side of things but can't take on another job right now so was thinking at some point I'd look into volunteering at a hospital. Does it help if you are a CPT?

I was in this situation myself. I was a CpHT, already working in retail 6.5 years and decided to volunteer at a hospital to get some hospital experience and volunteer work. They limit what you can do because of all the regulations with you not being an employee. You cannot preform any tech duties so really they do not care if you are a technician. You will mostly be running drugs to rooms, and if you're lucky going on rounds with the clinical pharmacists (this was what I really loved!). I think as long as you voluntter 100 hours a year you're ok. After volunteering there for a month they found out I was a tech and offered me a job, which I accepted. Being an employee I get to make IVs, fill the medication, etc.

Well I'm off to the Methodist Hospital shortly here in San Antonio. I'm pretty excited. They told me I will be able to volunteer in the pharmacy and I just need to go in person and get some things done. I know this is not really a big deal compared to getting into pharmacy school but it will be my first step towards getting there.

Well I'm off to the Methodist Hospital shortly here in San Antonio. I'm pretty excited. They told me I will be able to volunteer in the pharmacy and I just need to go in person and get some things done. I know this is not really a big deal compared to getting into pharmacy school but it will be my first step towards getting there.

It's better than a lot of pre-pharm people can say!

Congratulations.

How do i get a job at a hospital or a pharmacy as a volunteer? I cant work because then they would take my parents foodstamps away and i cant do that to them.

i think you meant to ask: will working a job that pays affect your parent's amount of federal aid. in your case, food stamps. the food stamp program determines how much aid your family will receive by calculating household income.

i understand your question b/c i have work with many people that received federal aid *i did interpretations*

if i am i reading this right??? you are still a dependent...

btw, you can volunteer at a pharmacy...it is a volunteer position.

hope that helped:thumbup: