vanillawafer

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I recently signed up for a hospital volunteer service and I had some questions about the interview process.. I know it's different everywhere, but if anyone else volunteered, how long did yours take? I signed up for a 10AM interview but I'm kinda worried since I have class at 1:30, I read some posts on here that said some of them take about 2-3 hours.. And this hospital is about 25 minutes away from my university.

Also, what should I wear? I am thinking just business casual khakis and a polo or something like that. Are vans acceptable shoes? Nothing flashy just light grey shoes..

Should I prepare for anything? What kind of questions have they asked some of you guys when you interviewed?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate the responses.

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Coordinator: "Yeah, so what do you want to do?"
Me: "Something with a direct patient contact"
Coordinator: "How about transportation?"
Me: "Suuuure"

That was the end of my interview. Hospitals would literally take anyone (unless you are a criminal or something) to do the job that no employee wants to do, so don't sweat it.
And your choice of attire is fine.

The interview purpose is to see if you are possibly a socially awkward nerd or an a hole that nobody likes. If you do not fall in either categories, they'll take you so fast you won't be able to think about it. Relax and understands the fact that you are offering to work with them for free!

Reactions: zaneoyo
OP
vanillawafer

vanillawafer

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Coordinator: "Yeah, so what do you want to do?"
Me: "Something with a direct patient contact"
Coordinator: "How about transportation?"
Me: "Suuuure"

That was the end of my interview. Hospitals would literally take anyone (unless you are a criminal or something) to do the job that no employee wants to do, so don't sweat it.
And your choice of attire is fine.
Wow that seems very simple, haha. I guess I was overthinking it. I'll keep this noted when the interview comes..

anyone else have any experiences? is it even worth it to volunteer at a hospital? The way it works at this hospital is that you can only shadow the doctor if you know a doctor there, you have to get them to agree to it somehow beforehand.. or someeone at least on the staff of the hospital, so I was thinking if I get some volunteer hours I can eventually try and set up some shadowing. It's also a top 50 hospital in the US if that makes any difference, so I am guessing the end will be worth it.

The interview purpose is to see if you are possibly a socially awkward nerd or an a hole that nobody likes. If you do not fall in either categories, they'll take you so fast you won't be able to think about it. Relax and understands that reality is that you offer to work with them for free!
I mean I am kinda an introvert but also an extrovert at times.. so yeah. Thank you for responding.

Cardboard101

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If they've given you material to review, look at them. The one I volunteered at required us to be familiar with emergency procedures, the different hospital codes and HIPPA to an extent. I ended up wearing a suit and tie since they requested business formal.
My interview ended up being an hour. The basically asked:
Why this hospital?
Why do you want to volunteer?
What is the correct way to deal with situation x, y, z.
Do you have any preference for where you'd like to volunteer?

It really depends on what they require.

My advice is just relax and answer normally. Our coordinatior said the only person she'd rejected was some 16 year old who showed up in a crop top, short shorts and a pair of uggs. Still not sure if she was joking.

OP
vanillawafer

vanillawafer

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah but the problem with vans is you got em on but they look like sneakers.
Are Nike running shoes more appropriate? Just a typical grey or black color, nothing flashy.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Are Nike running shoes more appropriate? Just a typical grey or black color, nothing flashy.
I was kidding. There's a song that goes, "Got my vans on but they look like sneakers." Stupid reference. Sorry.

Reactions: zaneoyo
OP
vanillawafer

vanillawafer

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical

Vespasian

"Vae, puto deus fio!"
Apr 4, 2014
The South...
Status
Other Health Professions Student
During my volunteer interview they wanted to make sure-
1. I was not a creeper.
2. I was not there to steal medicine.
3. I had a pulse.

They asked about what I was looking for in the experience and then stuck me in the ER. Interview was like 10 minutes.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
During my volunteer interview they wanted to make sure-
1. I was not a creeper.
2. I was not there to steal medicine.
3. I had a pulse.

They asked about what I was looking for in the experience and then stuck me in the ER. Interview was like 10 minutes.
I once had a nurse tell me when I was walking into the stock room (which contains the locker with all the fun stuff), "Don't do anything illegal in there."

Lawgiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
dont be creepy. extremes are creepy. don't be extreme. lie if you must.

Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
My interview at local hospital was panel, I needed to write an essay as well, the interviewers asked a lot of tough questions...